The official "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: The official "Post your custom-from-scratch dash" thread

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I got the car computer mounted in the car along with a temporary mount of the LCD screen on the glove box door. Still have some fine tuning to do on the lay out, but here is a video of it tested in the car. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 500 mile road trip to test it out. If I don't have any major hiccups I'll be installing it into the dash cluster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQEZqAet ... J5Am4jH-sA
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
ftperformance
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ftperformance »

nothing fancy but it works for me

Mustangous
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mustangous »

TheSilverBuick wrote:I got the car computer mounted in the car along with a temporary mount of the LCD screen on the glove box door. Still have some fine tuning to do on the lay out, but here is a video of it tested in the car. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 500 mile road trip to test it out. If I don't have any major hiccups I'll be installing it into the dash cluster.

Nice job! cant wait to see when its done!
MS3Pro in a 33 Coupe with an LS
Process of installing MS3X from DIYAutoTune in a Turbo Fox Mustang
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Mustangous wrote:
TheSilverBuick wrote:I got the car computer mounted in the car along with a temporary mount of the LCD screen on the glove box door. Still have some fine tuning to do on the lay out, but here is a video of it tested in the car. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 500 mile road trip to test it out. If I don't have any major hiccups I'll be installing it into the dash cluster.

Thanks! I'm going to Bonneville, and when I get back I hope to put it behind the dash cluster. I ended up moving it from hanging over the glove box to over the steering column. This video I took of running open headers out on the highway shows it briefly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evVA71aA ... J5Am4jH-sA
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Hella_rare_yellow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Hella_rare_yellow »

I am running a tablet as my dash in my car. This is the dashboard I will use while driving.

I also have an innovate AFR gauge off to the side.
Big lettered "OVER BOOST" "AFR LEAN" and "KNOCK" display over the whole screen when parameters are met.
Space387
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Space387 »

Well here is my take on an in car dash influenced by the C7 intended for MS3 in my firebird
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/f ... 1384578346 for a clearer image
94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
5.7L LT1 (optispark)
Ms3+3x
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Mustangous wrote:

Huh, looks like I never posted the finished product here. Finished it back in August.

It's about 25 seconds from start up to screen running. Usually it's on by the time I get to the end of my driveway. Once I got it behind the dash cluster bezel and shadowed by the dash it became way more readable during the day and less glare washout. I've done minor adjusting of the gauges to get them more cleanly displayed in the circles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGROrwcl-LY

tonypaul
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tonypaul »

Perhaps a dumb question: I made a custom dash on my laptop, my dash layout is perfect when I have it on the normal Windows screen. When I go to full screen the gauges are no longer lined up and are different sizes. Is there any way to get the the layout to look the same between the 2 screens?
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

tonypaul wrote:Perhaps a dumb question: I made a custom dash on my laptop, my dash layout is perfect when I have it on the normal Windows screen. When I go to full screen the gauges are no longer lined up and are different sizes. Is there any way to get the the layout to look the same between the 2 screens?
A change to the aspect ratio can greatly effect the overall look with some gauge styles, especially the default "Circle Analog Gauge". Most others change shape with the overall dashboard, but Circle Analog Gauge always keeps the gauge a circle and within the bounds you defined. Where as a plain Analog Gauge will change the gauge to an elliptical shape that fills the space allotted, the Circle Gauge will turn smaller to stay within the bounds.
So while in designer mode, you will want to have the shape of the TunerStudio dash be close to the target shape. But also you can make it less sensitive to being off one way or the other by looking at the shape change to get to target.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
tbutcher
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tbutcher »

Hella_rare_yellow wrote:I am running a tablet as my dash in my car. This is the dashboard I will use while driving.

I also have an innovate AFR gauge off to the side.
Big lettered "OVER BOOST" "AFR LEAN" and "KNOCK" display over the whole screen when parameters are met.
Really like your dashboard, are you able to post the .dash file? Also how do you do the big lettered overlay?

Thanks.

Tim
dggt6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dggt6 »

Hi Guys,
here are my first 2 attempts I use on a 7" tablet in my Triumph GT6.
I found the white gauge backgrounds too bright at night so I swipe to the same layout but a blue gauge background.
Daytime dash.jpg
Night dash.jpg
Cheers,
Doug
http://dggt6.blogspot.com.au/ Memoirs of a Megasquirt Triumph.
edgedj
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by edgedj »

This is great stuff, the output looks fantastic particularly the LFA dashboard example. What makes sense to me is to configure a vanilla dashboard like the LFA with 4 gauges on screen around the main dial and then copy and paste this on multiple dashboards so you can swipe between various views of the same information without crowding the screen with gauges.

One thing that occurs to me having taken the LFA dash and tried to modify it is that it's not possible to closely replicate the OEM dash with TunerStudio and only because the font sizes, bar widths, border widths etc seem to be 'relative' dimensions to the size of the gauge in question. As an example the little gauges around the main circle on the LFA should be concentric with the centre of the main circle but when you do that the font size (and bar width and border width) is too big on the little gauges and can't be brought down enough.

I'm certain that 'relative' dimensions are the way to go but I wonder if it might work a bit more consistently if all dimensions were relative to the whole viewing window rather than each gauge?

Cheers
Dave
Cerberus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Cerberus »

Hello!

Go on then I'll play :) This is the dash I threw together first.

I'm working on a slightly more funky version with overlaid gauges. :mrgreen:
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

Here is mine, still finding a lot of useable things to put on but it shouldn't change much more.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0, GT3076r @ 26psi, Meth injected, forged and balanced bottom
341whp Mustang Dyno @ 18psi.
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
MAPdaddy 4bar, OEM coils w wasted spark.
630cc injectors, full sequential
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

Hi,

does it possible to post your .dash as well? I really like it, if you do not mind.

Thanks,

Zoltan
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alfa Romeo 75 2.0, Supercharged by Eaton M45, MS3
NolanMenne
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by NolanMenne »

. dash files
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

Thank you!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alfa Romeo 75 2.0, Supercharged by Eaton M45, MS3
cmj
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cmj »

My dashboard. I'm working on a scaling/position issue when moved to fullscreen.

ranster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ranster »

My dash :)

Screenshot from my Nexus7 (full screen dash)
Turbocharged BMW E36/5 - Megasquirt 3
Fiat 128 Coupe ITB - Microsquirt V3