Tuner Studio running on Android OS ?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tuner Studio running on Android OS ?

Post by LT401Vette »

Yes, they sure do. Usually it is a micro USB port, but that just takes an adapter that usually comes with it.

The RT (Atom based ) Windows tablets have been disappearing more and more. Intel seems to be fighting back in this market and being able to run windows apps it one of Microsofts biggest selling points. Most Windows tablet that comes up at Newegg is now intel based:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... -8-Tablets

Prices vary a lot.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
presurized
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by presurized »

LT401Vette wrote:Any non RT windows tablet will run full TS and MLV fine. I use an Atom based tablet regularly.

Android tuning is coming, but there is a lot on plate right now, and I won't release it until it is solid and reliable.
I volunteer to be a beta tester!
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

LT401Vette wrote: Android tuning is coming, but there is a lot on plate right now, and I won't release it until it is solid and reliable.

Good to hear! Realistically, when do you anticipate it being released?

Probably will be going with a Nexus7 as that seems to be at a good feature/price point.

C|
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

after looking at the prices of those tablets I'll just wait for android version, I am not about to spend that kind of money on a tablet that will only be used for tuning. I love this ecu, but I wish it didn't need 5 different addapters to attach to the computer/tablet. Oh well, I put together a simple datalogger for $10, it will have to do for now, will watch for updates when android version comes out.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I had TS working fine on Debian, running under Android-x86 on my old Thinkpads.
It is still kinda pointless at this time, but it does work, and works on ARM as well.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Any news on TS for Android? I picked up a Nexus 7 awhile back and it does everything I need, except run TunerStudio.

C|
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Install Debian-kit and you can run tuner studio.
Also, the android tuning software seems stable now.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

piledriver wrote:Install Debian-kit and you can run tuner studio.
That's not an option. I use my tablet for media streaming and android works out the best. I've messed with various linux distros for ages, and for media use they always end up being a compromise.

piledriver wrote:Also, the android tuning software seems stable now.
MSDroid? Does it have all of the analysis features of TS? I guess I should look at it again.

C|
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

Go to the play store and install MultiRom manager. It will install MultiRom which allow you install Ubuntu along with multiple roms and not mess with your stock Android system.
For more information on MultiRom go to the xda-developers forum and read the thread about MultiRom.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

cygnus x-1 wrote:
piledriver wrote:Install Debian-kit and you can run tuner studio.
That's not an option. I use my tablet for media streaming and android works out the best. I've messed with various linux distros for ages, and for media use they always end up being a compromise.

piledriver wrote:Also, the android tuning software seems stable now.
MSDroid? Does it have all of the analysis features of TS? I guess I should look at it again.

C|
NoNoNoNoNo... Not "instead of" Android, there is no "or" choice required.
Debian-kit (and several other apps) are for Android...Linux userland runs along side Android, using the same kernel, at the same time.

The Android kernel IS Linux.
The various Linux-on-android installers just install a parallel Linux userland that works great for admin purposes even for Android.
It runs optionally, in parallel, when needed.

If you have an X86 tablet, you can even run MS Office in WINE (Works Well) Or Libre Office etc---all std Linux apps.
On KitKat+, apps can run full screen, Google finally made the home bar auto-hide.

Just don't stream media into the Xserver/Debian screen, its typically not accelerated anyway, the Android side gets the graphics accel.
But Java works just fine, including TunerStudio.

On X86, XSDL works very well for the X11 server app.
I don't have an actual Tablet unless you count my Lenovo X200T, Core 2 Duo, 8GB ram and 750GB SSHD...
Runs Android great. With a 64 bit Android kernel I can install 64 bit Linux and use it all.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

piledriver wrote: NoNoNoNoNo... Not "instead of" Android, there is no "or" choice required.
Debian-kit (and several other apps) are for Android...Linux userland runs along side Android, using the same kernel, at the same time.

The Android kernel IS Linux.
The various Linux-on-android installers just install a parallel Linux userland that works great for admin purposes even for Android.
It runs optionally, in parallel, when needed.

If you have an X86 tablet, you can even run MS Office in WINE (Works Well) Or Libre Office etc---all std Linux apps.
On KitKat+, apps can run full screen, Google finally made the home bar auto-hide.

Just don't stream media into the Xserver/Debian screen, its typically not accelerated anyway, the Android side gets the graphics accel.
But Java works just fine, including TunerStudio.

Hmm, that's interesting, and it looks like it could probably work even without having to root the tablet. (I'm not real keen on rooting my N7. I rooted my phone awhile back, and to be honest I'm not sure it was really worth the effort it took.)
But after a couple hours of reading it seems like a lot of monkeying around just to be able to run a single program. I spent many years monkeying with linux back in the '90s, and now I'm tired of it. I would rather be monkeying with my my cars instead. :D

C|
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

In the words of the Debian-kit author, "No root, no Linux."

Please note that (Google branded) tablets/phones are absolutely trivial to root, by design. It's an intended feature.
Usually just a matter of installing the Superuser or SuperSU app from Play store.

Also, Linux has come a LONG,LONG way since the `90s.
(My year of "Linux on the Desktop" was 1993, on my Amiga 3000, my only "PC" until ~1997, even though I built normal PCs for others)

Linux has been far, far easier to install vs. Windows for ~15 years now, and on Android it's almost easier.
(At least on most hardware)

Give it a shot, worst case, delete it, like it never happened.
The current Nexus7 should have plenty of CPU power and memory/flash storage to work well.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

piledriver wrote:In the words of the Debian-kit author, "No root, no Linux."

Please note that (Google branded) tablets/phones are absolutely trivial to root, by design. It's an intended feature.
Usually just a matter of installing the Superuser or SuperSU app from Play store.

As is usually the case, things look a bit different after you sleep on them.

Turns out it really is fairly simple to root a Nexus device, although it's not quite as simple as just installing SuperSU. There are a few gotchas that have to be accounted for, otherwise it won't work or you'll lose your data. It's also pretty clear that there's a LOT of bad information out there about rooting devices. This gets really annoying when you're looking for straightforward answers. :x

piledriver wrote:Also, Linux has come a LONG,LONG way since the `90s.
(My year of "Linux on the Desktop" was 1993, on my Amiga 3000, my only "PC" until ~1997, even though I built normal PCs for others)

Linux has been far, far easier to install vs. Windows for ~15 years now, and on Android it's almost easier.
(At least on most hardware)
Linux has come a long way for sure (I started in 1995 with Slackware 3.0), though I wouldn't really say it's easier to install than Windows. Windows is about as easy as it gets (put disc in drive, follow prompts). Linux has more flexibility, which means more options to figure out, which means not as easy (however you can also do the disc-in-drive-follow-prompts method). So I would say it's pretty much a wash.

piledriver wrote:Give it a shot, worst case, delete it, like it never happened.
The current Nexus7 should have plenty of CPU power and memory/flash storage to work well.
Yeah so anyway, I now have a rooted device with debian-kit installed... mostly. I say mostly because I'm getting some errors and I'm not sure everything installed correctly. This is really off topic for this thread so I think I'll start a new thread.

My original question is still open though. Are there any updates on TunerStudio running natively on Android? Is it still in the works? Or on the perpetual back burner? Or dead?

C|
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

For me, there are some services that won't work, like udev (there is no udev, and a couple deps) and it can't use//configure all the xorg stuff for obvious reasons. This is due to running (sort of) in a chroot and limited, headless environment.

Ther's likely a way of making the apt gripes go away, I just ignore them unless they change.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Well, I've gotten debian-kit installed, but I'm getting an error when installing andromize. It downloads the packages and does some stuff, and then gives some errors. The first error is "Cannot access system properties via ANDROID_PROPERTY_WORKSPACE environment setting."

Any clues where to start digging?

C|
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

cygnus x-1 wrote:Well, I've gotten debian-kit installed, but I'm getting an error when installing andromize. It downloads the packages and does some stuff, and then gives some errors. The first error is "Cannot access system properties via ANDROID_PROPERTY_WORKSPACE environment setting."

Any clues where to start digging?

C|
I ignore it, but the debian kit author may have an idea.
On newer distros andromize won't finish installing, blocked by other packages.
I'm not sure if it really even needed on x86, everything works fine.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

piledriver wrote: I ignore it, but the debian kit author may have an idea.

Hmm, ok. Adding a user also fails because it can't write to /etc/group. I suppose I could run TS as root, but so far this is not confidence inspiring.

C|
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

cygnus x-1 wrote:
piledriver wrote: I ignore it, but the debian kit author may have an idea.

Hmm, ok. Adding a user also fails because it can't write to /etc/group. I suppose I could run TS as root, but so far this is not confidence inspiring.

C|
Adding and running as a user worked for me with and older combo of debian and android, havn't really fought with it lately.
I know it isn't working right on the current Ubuntu/Debian releases.

I'll see what I can figure out.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Full disclosure: I don't have a Nexus anything and just installed a daily repo build of android-x86 with a 64 bit kernel (local build)
on my X200 tablet. (6 year old convertible Core2duo laptop/tablet)

I installed debian kit, using the 1.6 beta version shar file, installed wheezy on a 2GB loopback.

I just tried creating a std user and running X11 and console apps sucessfully with wheezy, restumbled upon and fixed several small potential local admin issues, just made notes this time through...

First, note that "debian-kit" installs are NOT chrooted, it is a union mounted filesystem, so if you are root on debian, you are root
....can see and terminally screw up (and sometimes even fix) ~anything in the android filesystem.
At least you can start deb as root and the su to a user you create before proceeding.
I have not poked at the security limits of this setup.

1) use useradd to create user so users /home/[username] +skel files/group etc are setup
adduser needs all the args manually setup or it just creates the user, with no defaults.

2) Consider setting a password for root, or no debian root password is required from android console to screw with things in debian.
The "Debian way" of not setting a root password as some supposed form of security does us no favors here, at least.

3) I tried to use a username that was already used on android=made things difficult.

4)/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config may need a line added:
should say
allowed_user=anybody
console may also work, but no setting means only root can star an xsession.

xfce install is ~200M smaller than lxde (~2/3 the total space), and much more capable.

If the cursors are not lining up, pull down an icon from the top L android toolbar,
they should realign when the X11 screen comes back in focus. I installed "screen orientation control" just to have a resident toolbar app to click.
May be due to the full screen X11 app.

andromize configuration still barfs when it discovers GID 1000 is already in use. I haven't tried to fix it, yet.
It appears it is supposed to be setting up some moe /etc links so more things work as Linux distros expect on Android
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

So, one very important thing you have to do with Android 4.3 and later, is to install an SELinux mode changer, and set it to permissive instead of enforced. This fixes the problem with writing to /etc/group and I was able to get andromize and andromize-lxde to install. Then installed java, unpacked TS, and amazingly it actually started! It doesn't seem to want to open a project though. It says "Loading Project" and just sits there.

As cool as it is that this works (sort of), it was way more effort than I wanted to go through to run TS. And it still doesn't really work. So for now I think I'm done messing with TS on Android. I'll check out MSDroid, and come back to TS when there is an official Android version. Or maybe I'll just pick up an old laptop on eBay and run a minimal Linux distro on it. Tablets are cool but it's also nice to have an actual keyboard.

I do appreciate you playing along for a bit though. :)

C|