$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

62f100
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by 62f100 »

just wonder if i could keep a serial to usb cable plugged to this serial bluetooth when the bluetooth is powered up, then power off bluetooth &hook serial-usb to laptop. what happens if both are on at same time? using microsquirt module. thanks
62 f100,uni body,4.6 motor&updated chasis, ms2 micromodule
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

kjones6039 wrote:Just curious...... Are you using a straight through or crossover serial cable?

Ken

EDIT: Between the pc and ttl board, that is.....
It's USB.
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Got that issue sorted. It was one of the pins on the bluetooth board that was not soldered correctly, and now it's fine.
So, question is, how to connect it to the DB9? Which pin on the MS side gets which pin from the bluetooth board?

Thanks!
MegasquirtBug
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegasquirtBug »

Hidro,

Did you resolve your issue?

I have two of those BT adapters which I have successfully installed on MS2. Although it wasn't a 1,2,3 operation I accomplished the task. The first on I bought was HC-05, so I looked in the net and found the pinout and played with it until I gave up. About 4 months later I picked it up and made more research until it connected. I used putty to change the BAUD to 115200. Mission complete on this one.

Since I already knew how to change the BAUD, NAME, etc. I bought another one for a friend of mine. Upon connecting, this one read HC-06, I said: "should be the same". Was I wrong, I had no form of sending AT commands as the other one. Left it in a drawer for about two months. One day I was bored and made more research on this HC-06 and discovered that the pinout is totally different. The wires I soldered on HC-05 to put it on AT mode were not the same for HC-06. That was the reason it would not get the commands.

Once I soldered them correctly, the command part was a breeze with Hterm. If you use HTerm for the commands, all you do is copy from notepad: ex. "AT+BAUD8" and paste to HTerm. It receives it instantly.

I am at work right now but if I have a chance today I will post pics of my HC-05 and HC-06 BT for wiring references.

So, Long story short. First you need to determine which BT version you are using.

Hope this helps.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark with MSD coilpack, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. Anyway, runs great can't be more reliable than this. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, W/M injection at 15psi for now.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Hey!
THanks for the reply.
I have it already setup for the BAUD8, etc.
The only question now is to which pins in DB9 on the Megasquirt side, the pins from the HC-06 goes. That's what I need to know :P If you know this, that is great, just let me know as well eheh
MegasquirtBug
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegasquirtBug »

Hidro,

On the photo above with the yellow wire, that is pin 9 on the male side of the BT adapter. That cable will be soldered on pin 9 of the male side and the other end to the last pin on the right of the 4 pin output. On the page before this one there is a photo with the connector. That is how it goes on that pin. I did not use the connector, just solder the cable to provide the voltage and that's it.

Let me know.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark with MSD coilpack, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. Anyway, runs great can't be more reliable than this. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, W/M injection at 15psi for now.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Ah, but that is not the one I'm trying to connect now.
I have one like that, which is working fine, but now I'm trying to get this to work:
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

I just got one like pictured above jy-mcu BT_board v1.04

This unit does not have the rs232 to TTL level shifting on board. You will have to connect this prior to the ms 232 driver or add in an rs232 to TTL level shifter. Also check which core board you have as mentioned above also its most likely the hc-05 or hc-06
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

It's an HC-06.
So this means it cannot be used directly? Like wire each pin from the board to each db9 pin, and that is it?
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

Nope you need a level shifter to go to the db9. You can wire it like the first post in this thread, direct to the ms processor. To wire to the db9 you need to convert to TTL level. You also need to program it to the correct baud rate as well. I just got mine working with the level shifter last night.. If I had known this wasn't 232 level I would have got the other type of unit shown in this thread.

Here is one that would work but there are many variations available that would work.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=221022603873
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Your MS processor 'speaks' TTL. The MAX232 chip on your MS converts this TTL level signals to serial level signals.
The BT module you have 'speaks' TTL. So either you connect it directly to the processor OR you add a 2nd MAX232 to convert the serial level signals back to TTL level.
If you have MS3, it's not a problem to remove the DB9 (you still have USB on board). However, if you have a MS1 or MS2 you should not remove the DB9 because you need it to load firmware.
I have never tried connecting a BT module directly to the CPU whilst retaining the MAX232. Me thinks you have a big chance it works, albeit not simultaneously.
Should you want to give it a try (more details on my site):
  • connect 4 wires to positions 11,12,15 and 16 of the MAX232.
    position 11 to RX of the module
    position 12 to TX of the module
    position 15 to GND of the module
    position 16 to 5V of the module
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

For my MS2, I socketed the MAX232 so I could pull it and wire in the bluetooth module, but if I couldn't get it to play nice with the bluetooth when loading firmware, or other purposes, I could easily just pull the two pins that were plugged in and install the chip for as long as it was needed.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

can you install blue tooth directly to the microsquirt v3 processor? is there any pics for that anywhere? Thanks.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

Put the blue tooth on, got it paired with my phone, turn the ignition on and after like 5 bad reads shadow dash started working, tried it second time and blue tooth would come one and go off after 10 seconds. Tried msdroid and it couldn't figure out what kind of ecu I had....
mattheripper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattheripper »

Has anyone done the OP's method on a DIYPNP, MSPNP or Microsquirt? Just wondering where the pins for the RX and TX are located? And if it can be done your way on my board(I have the DIYPNP v1.5 running ms2 latest beta firmware). I guess if I open it up and see the pins rather easily my plan is to do:
RX on the ms board - RX on the bt chip
TX on the ms board - TX on the bt chip
DB9 5v inside the case - 5v on the bt chip
DB9 ground inside the case - Ground on the bt chip
??? Correct ??? I don't have to worry about resistors and the 3.3v? I read all 7 pages last night and although I tried to keep both methods separate I couldn't help to get a little confused. I have already changed the baudrate to 115200 as well. Thanks for the help everyone.
4DR R32 KA24DET DIYPNP HOLSET HE341 18x10.5 / 18x12
https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom
mattheripper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattheripper »

So I found this link of the microsquirt module pinout.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/module.html
j2_pinout.gif
So now I'm looking at doing the following correct?
J2 pin 4 - serial RX on bt chip
J2 in 6 - serial TX on bt chip
DB9 5v inside the case - 5v on the bt chip
DB9 ground inside the case - Ground on the bt chip
If that's all there is to it I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can start tuning again:) Thanks guys.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The RX/TX signals coming from the Microsquirt module are RS232 levels. Your BT module needs TTL signals so you will need an RS232 chip or some sort of level converter.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
mattheripper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattheripper »

So I might as well just totally tee off of the db9 and not even solder around the micros quiet module at all, eh? Also with what your saying, I could use the tty USB converter that I used for changing the baud rate on the bt chip?
Bummer microsquirt is different and it's not as easy as the op's. :(
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

I have both the hc-05 and hc-06 bt, I have them both paired to my phone, but have problems with AT commands to change the baud rate from 9600...............I tried microcontroller route, then usb to ttl converter, I am running out of ideas. It just won't return OK after I copy and paste AT command.
mattheripper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattheripper »

Just having trouble wrapping my head around what my two ebay buys are. Also to racingmini_mtl I hope I'm not coming off as combative what so ever I don't mean to be a punk, really just hoping you can further help me understand what I'm misunderstanding so far. I am slowing making my way into the electronics world and although I'm loving it, just this post took quite a bit of time in research just be able to write out whats here lol.
I read up on TTL vs. RS232 and I understand the difference and why I cant just link the two but this is the bt module I bought and is says RS232-TTL in the heading.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bluetooth-Wirele ... 0670070131
Does that mean that it needs RS232 coming in and spits out TTL the bluetooth?
Same with my USB to RS232, Says USB to RS232 TTL in the heading.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TT ... OC:CA:3160
So I'm best guessing that the usb is TTL signal and the pins coming out are RS232?
So if that is correct and I changed the baud rate on my bt module successfully with all products listed here that means...
TTL (usb plugged into the computer) converts out to RS232 pins out to dupont cables in to RS232 with dupont cables on the bt module pins and from there out via bluetooth TTL?
Or is the USB to RS232 TTL listing on ebay titled wrong and its a USB to TTL and TTL throught the dupont cables to my bt module pins (still TTL) and then the bt module changes it and spits out RS232 signal?
Please let me know asap as its the different of tuning over the weekend or not.
If its the blue option that would mean I can come straight off my db9 RS232 into the bluetooth?
If its the red then would something like this be my most compact option for incasing it all and getting that RS232-TTL conversion I'd need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-Port-Min ... 5d3d61ee3f