$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

MegasquirtBug
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by MegasquirtBug »

Erniejones,

I cut a USB cable and soldered the red to 5v pin and black to ground. The other end I plugged to the computer. Instant 5v's :D .
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark with MSD coilpack, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. Anyway, runs great can't be more reliable than this. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, W/M injection at 15psi for now.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I meant on the board itself but it's OK - I just learned about voltage regulators :yeah!:

So now I can create my own power circuits as/where needed. I'm new to electronics so all of these things are wonderful 'discoveries' for me :lol: Thanks for the reply though! :mrgreen:
Thanks you;
Ernie
Bean Bandit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bean Bandit »

You got a 5V break out on the Microsquirt module, on the breakout for the DB9. I used that one. It's labeled (4pin one top right http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/imag ... 2.2_lg.jpg).
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

Bean Bandit wrote:You got a 5V break out on the Microsquirt module, on the breakout for the DB9. I used that one. It's labeled (4pin one top right http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/imag ... 2.2_lg.jpg).
Thanks Bean Bandit :D
Thanks you;
Ernie
matthunter1448
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by matthunter1448 »

Any body else have a issue with this board disconnecting and reconnecting when plugged into the megasquirt. It will stay connected on msdroid on my phone haven't tried shadowdash yet, and also when I connect to my comp. It just connects disconnects and reconnects till tunerstudio gives a error?
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Try to lower the Data Rate under Communications in Tunerstudio to 15/s, and check again.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

It sounds like it is reading the runtime data fine, but on the larger reads, the reading of the tune data it is failing. In the TunerStudioAppDebug.txt it will tell you how many bytes are getting returned before it times out. See if there is any way to turning up the block sizes on the BT Adapter, or you could add a blockingFactor=256 (or any number less than the timeout number) to your ini. That will force TunerStudio to read the tune data in smaller blocks instead of entire 1024 byte pages.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
travm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by travm »

Hi folks,

Read through the thread and think I understand how this is supposed to work.
I have a JY-MCU module which is configured and working (PC->USB->BT->PC with a terminal at each end reflects everything typed on either end both ways, at 115200).

I have the module connected directly to the MS2 (through the same pins I had my USB FTDI module which has been working fine for 3 months now). I have confirmed and re-confirmed the tx and rx are the right way around a couple of times :-)

I can get ShadowDash to connect, and MiniTerm in Tunerstudio to connect but I'm not getting anything useful back from the MS.

Attached is a screenshot of what I get when I send an 'S' in Miniterm. I understand this is the initial request that asks the module versions, code, etc.
BT_MS2_output.PNG
Any ideas on why I'm getting garbage?

Cheers,
Trav.
--
Trav
ms2extra, v3, Rover 4.6l
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Actually, it's not garbage.

Set the Output Format to ASCII instead of Hex and it should make more sense!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
travm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by travm »

Thanks Ken but the reason I had it in HEX was that at least Miniterm could display what was coming back.

Ascii output was just this:
BT_MS2_output_ASCII.PNG
--
Trav
ms2extra, v3, Rover 4.6l
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Ah ha.... Got it!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Check your COM settings - some BT stacks open a couple of ports with these adapters and only one is correct so play around a bit. I found I had to re-pair each time on my phone to get it to work, and I have to disable and then enable the BT service for the COM port on my laptop.

Before I figured that out I was getting similar results, IIRC.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Rick Finsta wrote:Check your COM settings - some BT stacks open a couple of ports with these adapters and only one is correct so play around a bit.
Same experience here........

Ken
travm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by travm »

Only one port. It works fine running a "loopback" where I connect the BT to a USB FTDI to the PC and run one terminal up on the USB COM port and one on the BT COM port. Connecting it to an Arduino and I can push data through to an SD card no problem using the same BT module. It's only the MS that is giving me grief!
--
Trav
ms2extra, v3, Rover 4.6l
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

And it connects fine over a cable? Did you try unpairing and repairing, or making sure you've got "serial connection over BT" (or whatever yours shows) enabled in the device settings (under the BT settings)?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Hey this is pretty much OT but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here so I'll give it a shot...

Has anyone ever paired a PC with more than one of those cheap ebay Bluetooth-to-serial thingys? This is probably silly, but I'm curious how the computer knows one from the other?

I've already got one set up and working on my Megasquirt, but I'd like to use another one for a different project, talking to the same laptop...
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

elaw wrote:Hey this is pretty much OT but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here so I'll give it a shot...

Has anyone ever paired a PC with more than one of those cheap ebay Bluetooth-to-serial thingys? This is probably silly, but I'm curious how the computer knows one from the other?

I've already got one set up and working on my Megasquirt, but I'd like to use another one for a different project, talking to the same laptop...
Yes you can pair two of theses devices. The only way I know how to tell the difference is to change the name on the device from HC-06 to something of your choosing.
It has been a long time since I changed the name on mine to MEGA,so I can't recall exactly how I did it. If you google HC-06 you can find out how to do it.
Edit
Found this PDF for the bluetooth module.
EGBT-045MS-046S Bluetooth Module Manual rev 1r0.pdf
Hope this helps.
transaxel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by transaxel »

That´s the way i have built my BT-Adaptor. Works great and solid.

Greetings Gerald
Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 V6 Turbo running on MS2 Extra
landmer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by landmer »

I have followed OMGPHAM's guide to configure and solder my bt unit (Linvor).

I use a megasquirt 1 with hires 11d code. Cable Communication works fine between the same computer and my megasqurit. But when i connect the BT module to my megasquirt it seems like it won't get the correct firmware information from the megasqurit. If using auto-detect I get this:

Any ideas? I have set the baud rate of the BT module to 9600 using AT+BAUD4 in hypertherm Three times and every time I get the response OK9600 in hypertherm. So i can't understand why this autodetect in tunerstudio Thinks it is set to 115200?

Also tried with msdroid and shadowdash both of them connect but can't find a .ini file matching my firmware (i have put the same .ini as I use and it works with Cable and tunerstudio in the msdroid ini folder)
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Looks suspiciously like the Linvor module has local echo enabled.

To be exact, it looks like the Megasquirt unit is trying to spit out its signature in response to the 'S' query command. The signature it returns begins with "MS". Because of local echo, the 'S' character of its own is being interpreted as a fresh query command. So it sits there continuously streaming out "MSMSMSMSMSMSMS..." I think someone in another thread (or maybe a previous page on this thread) had the same issue.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android