$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

em_knaps
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by em_knaps »

Yep, used it today on my HTC with android.

works just fine

shadow dash is pretty cool.
There is no spoon.....
eds451
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by eds451 »

Another success. I have an MS1 v2.2. I attached mine directly to the board and slotted the end case for a connector under the serial port so I could remove it if necessary. I bought the same BT module as the one the OP used. Downloaded shadow dash and logger for my droid phone. As a side note I was never able to get my macbook to see the USB-serial connection. Now it all works on BT.
12lbchevelle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 12lbchevelle »

I've been using this with the MSLogger app for the couple months since I got the Galaxy S3 and have been using Shadow Dash since the first day it was released. The lowest FPS I experience is about 16 with the phone mounted on the dash.

:!: I cant say enough about how much I love what these apps have brought to the table :!:
MS3 3.8L Buick Turbo V6 -- 1968 Chevelle
MS3 2.4L Honda K24 -- 1991 Toyota MR2
em_knaps
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by em_knaps »

I concur,

These Apps are serious bling,
Very few of even the fanciest aftermarket EMS's have these apps let alone one that owes you less that $500.

definite value for money.
There is no spoon.....
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Has anyone tried using a ear piece bluetooth, open it up and find the TX and RX inputs and try attaching it to rs232? I'm sure most people have at least one laying around that doesn't get used anymore.

Next well have "FREE bluetooth working on MS3!"

Ryan
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I'm also using a Linvor HC-06 module and it's working great. You need to know fews details for configuration but after it's working well.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

Digi-Key makes a plastic hood assembly that fits the modules with a D-sub at both ends.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... &x=18&y=14
gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gndan »

I have done several and use my samsung galaxy S3 or even my old droid x and it works great.

,Dan
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

I'm trying to use this same one, it's setup so it gets power from MS just like that.
But at first it wouldn't connect using 3.2.1 firmware then I reflashed to 3.2.4 and it
connected, BUT reconnects every couple seconds....

Do you guys have any idea what I can try and get it to work?

Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
Asteris
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Asteris »

Will this work with the V3.0 MS-II ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arduino-DB9 ... 337ec3e061
Fiat Seicento 1242cc F.I.R.E. engine
VR sensor on 60-2, wasted spark
MS-II Extra pre3.3 a5 Gslender 2.8
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

That's the same exact one.

And yeah, it works on some and not others.
Mine works on somebody else but not mine. :|
Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
Asteris
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Asteris »

It says 3.3V and I can't remember if MS has 3.3 or 5V...
Fiat Seicento 1242cc F.I.R.E. engine
VR sensor on 60-2, wasted spark
MS-II Extra pre3.3 a5 Gslender 2.8
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

Asteris wrote:It says 3.3V and I can't remember if MS has 3.3 or 5V...
MegaSquirt systems run on 5V.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Just as a point of reference, I just got the exact same thing (as linked by Asteris) and it works fine on an MS2 and an Android tablet (using MSDroid). I just had to connect it to a PC using a USB-RS232 adapter to change the baud rate from 9600 to 115200; this shouldn't be needed with an MS1. (By the way, there is no need to put the module in command mode with a jumper because it defaults to the command mode when powered up and not paired)

I then soldered a jumper from the DB9 pin 9 to the power header pin in a similar way as what is shown in the picture (I actually soldered to the header pin). Then I connected it to the DB9 on the MS and it was seen right away from the tablet. MSDroid was able to use it from there.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
squirrelgripper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by squirrelgripper »

I'm not having a lot of success!

I have Windows 8 and am using the "Mini Terminal" in Tuner Studio to connect to the Bluetooth unit. When I type "AT<ENTER>" I get "OK" in reply. None of the other commands (eg. "AT+BAUD8<enter>") work at all - I get "ERROR" in reply.

I have Tx and Rx reversed going into the Bluetooth unit (so Rx connects with Tx on one wire, and Tx with Rx on the other) and 5v running to the BT unit.

Am I missing something?
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Sometimes they are a swine to configure and accept commands via terminal command line.

Are you sure your particular Bluetooth adapter uses the AT+BAUD command rather than BAUD= or similar?

If possible, see if your terminal program allows you to configure whether only LF or CR+LF are sent when you hit enter, and try either configuration.

Another thing I have found with some adapters is the best way to get them to reliably accept a command is to put that command into a little .txt file and then use a facility in the terminal program to send that text file. I had to do this once on a problematic adapter that didn't seem to want to accept any commands sent at typing speed.

The trouble with these adapters is that their serial command interpreter code is terribly primitive sometimes.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

TheWoo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TheWoo »

I have been trying to do this following the information on this thread, but the board i have seems to me a later version. Markings read BT <-> RS232 V1.3. all the ones in the guides seem to be 1.2.

Not a problem i thought, I jumped the pins and managed to get it all configured, and i can see the device from my Android device with my settings.

The issue comes when i tried to attached the 5v+ the the 9-pin connector, there apears to be a component on these later versions, any ideas where to get next?

And the underside.
Crazy2287
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Crazy2287 »

Hey guys, Blutooth rookie here for some clarification:

I have gotten a HC7 version and was wondering if anyone has got one of these to work, so i know if it's worth trying before i waste several hours on a fruitless endeavour.
REF:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200814932551 ... 1497.l2649
*insert witty comment here*
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

been looking at getting somthing like this for around the £12 mark
by the looks of it its made of all the bits needed to work ok like max3221 chip 3.3v reg and will take 5v and programing via micro usb

im trying to get more info on how you set its baud rate etc.

anyone already got one?
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

baz-r wrote:been looking at getting somthing like this for around the £12 mark
by the looks of it its made of all the bits needed to work ok like max3221 chip 3.3v reg and will take 5v and programing via micro usb

im trying to get more info on how you set its baud rate etc.

anyone already got one?
1x orderd will see how i do when i get it but there are a good few options with this that shoud be good for ms'ers like run 5v power via micro usb port using a car phone charger so no ms1 mods and can also stay powerd up when ms power is cycled on and off, pads to run a battery if needed