$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by jsiedlicki »

I use the same BT board. You connect the +5v from pin 9 to the connector in the picture. I used a molex connector from a PC hard drive so I can disconnect it if I need to but you can solder it for a permanent connection. The second pic is with the connector in place.
MS3-Pro 1st Gen | Honda K24 Supercharged
MS3/MS3X | SB Ford 347 stroker
Cla141A
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cla141A »

hi all

i have ms2 v3 and use the bt-rs232 blue board chip
it work wonderful , but i used external power supply with a 12v>5v circuit

there is way to power the module directly from db9 of ms2 ?
if i make only the molex modify , it will work?
or i have to bring vcc to db9 inside the ms2 case?

thanks for your time
Ms2 v3 Blue Board - Extra code updte
Wasted Spark, Stepper idle -> No clock, led, pwm flyback circ. , Pullup resistor, trigger off coil neg. term. ->F.E.T. protection circ. -> Vr, Hall, Opt. circuit -> Vr Jump -> Std flyback ->Dual Map, Table -> Launch control -> Tacho Out
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

There is 5v DC on pin 9 of the MS 2 by default. Simply connect pin 9 to the bt adapter as shown above and it will work.
Cla141A
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Cla141A »

thank soo much , bye
Ms2 v3 Blue Board - Extra code updte
Wasted Spark, Stepper idle -> No clock, led, pwm flyback circ. , Pullup resistor, trigger off coil neg. term. ->F.E.T. protection circ. -> Vr, Hall, Opt. circuit -> Vr Jump -> Std flyback ->Dual Map, Table -> Launch control -> Tacho Out
mattsteady
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattsteady »

I've bought one of those Bluetooth adapters, and have soldered on the power lead as shown. When I connect it to the Megasquirt, the red light flashes meaning it is ready to pair. However when I do "Add Bluetooth device" on my laptop, it doesn't show in the list.

Any ideas? I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious...

Thanks in advance,
Matt
wct203814
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wct203814 »

I recently bought this off of Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093XAV4U/ref ... Atb197PWTQ

No luck getting it to answer my AT commands. ...it did pass loop back test and my computers serial port did as well. Just a bad transceiver?
maik21
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by maik21 »

wct203814 wrote:I recently bought this off of Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093XAV4U/ref ... Atb197PWTQ

No luck getting it to answer my AT commands. ...it did pass loop back test and my computers serial port did as well. Just a bad transceiver?
it didnt work for me. i use a max232 to be able to communicate with pc. all commands works great but it didnt work with megasquirt 2. i bought about 4 same modules with no lucky.
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

mattsteady wrote:I've bought one of those Bluetooth adapters, and have soldered on the power lead as shown. When I connect it to the Megasquirt, the red light flashes meaning it is ready to pair. However when I do "Add Bluetooth device" on my laptop, it doesn't show in the list.

Any ideas? I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious...

Thanks in advance,
Matt

These cheap adapters are not configured to communicate with MS2 by default. You need to change the baud rate from 9600 to 115200. You need to connect the adapter to your PC's serial port and send it the right AT commands to reconfigure it. I don't have the commands anymore, you can find them on the Net with a careful search.
wct203814
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wct203814 »

I bought a max232 adaptor off of amazon and the Bluetooth adaptor. still no luck with communications.....switched tx and rx around. and I even put tx to tx and rx to rx logged into Bluetooth and typed to it and it typed them out on the other laptop that was connected via serial.
mattsteady
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattsteady »

I've jumpered 12 to 34, and have attached an external 5v power supply to the breakout pins.

When I attempt to connect via hyperterminal with baud 9600, data bist 1, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none, I do get characters coming back when I type, but they aren't the right ones - mostly @ etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Matt
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

You can't configure these via BT. You must be directly connected via RS-232 serial connection. I was able to configure mine by connecting using a USB to Serial adapter and powering the unit externally. You will have to make a connector or use very small alligator clips to connect up the RX / TX on the chip to the PC's RX/ TX pins. Then you should get connectivity via Hyperterminal or other serial program.
mattsteady
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattsteady »

I'm connecting by serial not BT. If I drop the baud rate down to 2400 and connect to it with hyperterminal, I get a correct mirror response back for every key I type. However I don't get an OK back if I type AT (or paste or use a text file).

If I increase the baud rate further, I get rubbish coming back.

Very odd!
mattsteady
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattsteady »

You will have to make a connector or use very small alligator clips to connect up the RX / TX on the chip to the PC's RX/ TX pins.
Ahh so you can't just plug the serial cable into the socket... you've got to connect to the break-out pins?
wct203814
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wct203814 »

Here is how I have mine hooked up currently, still no communication.
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

You only need the JY-MCU Blue Tooth board. Connect that directly to the PC's serial port. You should solder a DB9 connector directly to the BT board. Why do you have the the other board in there?
wct203814
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wct203814 »

I have tried with and without. Other board is a ttl to rs232 converter. I think my bluetooth transceiver must be faulty. I can connect to it via bluetooth no problem. Just won't reply to serial AT commands via computer serial cable.
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

wct203814 wrote:I have tried with and without. Other board is a ttl to rs232 converter. I think my bluetooth transceiver must be faulty. I can connect to it via bluetooth no problem. Just won't reply to serial AT commands via computer serial cable.
It could very well be faulty. When you are trying to connect via serial, make sure you have not connected to the BT adapter first. Once BT is connected the RS-232 is a pass thru (you can not send it commands).
Monzsta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Monzsta »

The TTL adapter is 3.3v. it won't work with 5v. I was setting up those modules for megasquirt users with the correct comms, and a personalized bluetooth header and password. Once you get the comms set you have to use a pull up resistor between Vcc and Tx. Great module once you get it working.
'98 Trans Am LS1 A4
Ms2 3.0 board, controlling fuel and spark.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

I need some help :)
I got the USB TTL and the small bluetooth board, but I cannot configure, using Hyperterminal.
WP_20140523_001.jpg
I have tried RX with RX and TX with TX, and mixed, and nothing.
Does not seem to respond to any hyperterminal input. None.

Any tips?
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Just curious...... Are you using a straight through or crossover serial cable?

Ken

EDIT: Between the pc and ttl board, that is.....
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance