$7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Marsh
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: $7 bluetooth WORKING on MS1!

Post by Marsh »

Help connecting. So I ordered one of the devices as shown here: http://dx.com/p/db9-rs232-wireless-blue ... ule-104301
I have it powered off an old variable in-car powersupply. The light blinks to show ready to pair. It pairs up with the laptop just fine. I boot hyperterminal or Putty (tried booth) and the light stops blinking, but I can't type commands. Com port number is correct and baud rate (which putty has an option for) is set to what default is for the device.

Update: tried every single baud rate and still no go.

Any ideas?
Marshall
'95 Miata / MSPNP2
em_knaps
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by em_knaps »

Are you trying to send it commands over bluetooth?

I think you need a physical connection to your PC to program it. it will be powered via the 5v DB9 of your PC.
There is no spoon.....
Marsh
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Marsh »

Yes I'm trying to send commands via BT. Basically I'm doing exactly what you see in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrBGuVxFXQ

But Nothing on the terminal screen.

I did try connecting through the USB adapter, but it behaved funny. Instantly sent every key stroke so that everytime you typed AT it responded "OK" and you couldn't finish the command. I suspected that the commands were going to the USB adapter chip, not the BT adapter.
Marshall
'95 Miata / MSPNP2
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As has been mentioned before, you can't type the command. You need to type it in some editor then copy and paste it. You can't type fast enough to send the characters without any delay between them which is what is needed. The copy paste operation does it (assuming your terminal application accepts it). And you need to use a serial connection not a BT connection. What you were seeing with the USB adapter was correct for a keystroke by keystroke behaviour.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

baz-r wrote:been looking at getting somthing like this for around the £12 mark
by the looks of it its made of all the bits needed to work ok like max3221 chip 3.3v reg and will take 5v and programing via micro usb

im trying to get more info on how you set its baud rate etc.

anyone already got one?
ok it arived and im trying to get it to play ball sending some AT commands but seem to get no joy via the db9 plug and 5v via usb mini plug

just to make sure im not having a moment im thinking pins 2 corssed to 3 and vise versa and 5 to 5? power it up and using HTerm wit my pc's com port i shoud be getting coms right?

the only info i can get for the unit is the embedded bt module (BLK-MD-BC04-B) and a circuit drawing for the pcb
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

oh and i found this
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

The only advice I have to send commands is to Copy and Paste the entire command. I had the worst troubleshooting because I was writing it... I then Copied and pasted, and voilá.
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

HidRo wrote:The only advice I have to send commands is to Copy and Paste the entire command. I had the worst troubleshooting because I was writing it... I then Copied and pasted, and voilá.
im pritty sure HTerm only sends on pressing enter?
also pasting AT is making no diffrence :oops:
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

this is the only other thing i coud find indicating you can push AT commands via db9 socket
http://oh2fxd.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/ ... oth-today/
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

If you want to change something in the BT device, you will need more than AT, and at least, on my tests, it was sending it out automatically. Only after copy/paste, is worked ok.
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

im on win7 so what term prog is good to use?
its hard to work out what is going wrong
i have it conected
2-3
3-2
5-5 i think this is all i will need
i get a powerd up led and the blue conectin is working ok and i can also pair with it powerd so im thinking its alive just cant get comm's
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

I used HyperTerminal.
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

maybe i need to add loopback handshaking? or somthing as just had report it can be set over db9 serial comms
my serial and hyperterminal skills are long gone thease days :cry:
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

email yeserday from maker and all shoud work fine over serial port!

used a £2 usb-ttl converter today and conected up on some unused header pin points with 3v3,tx,rx&gnd i get comms fine over ttl set me baud and even changed bt name to ms2 :yeah!:

only thing is i cant get a conection to my ms2 or any comms over serial to change settings either its not linked right or the max chip is dead?
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

OK people we are there at last :) i can now get comms but only wired 2-3, 3-2 & 5-5 to ms and 2-2, 3-3 & 5-5 on pc ( i make that arse about face for style of male plug ) so the dream of putting a link wire in for pin9 5v and just pluging direct into ms com port is dead but on the other hand anyone who is useing ms1 should be able to power of in car usb mini phone charger and with a home made crossed db9 lead will be up and going with no pcb mods. ms2ers will need to change baud rate and i recomend using Hterm prog with CR-LF selected on send on enter then you can just type in at commands directly with enter to send
works fine with msdroid with my android phone now so see no reason why it will not work with anything else :yeah!:
JonnyPruitt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JonnyPruitt »

THANKS!!!!! I was going crazy trying to get my BT working. I did not know how, I could not get it to work. After all how can you miss up 4 wire? I would never have found a fix on my own! You are the MAN! :yeah!:
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Hope I'm not hijacking here, but.....

I have followed this thread for quite a while and tried a couple of the blue tooth adapters mentioned above, with hardly any luck at all. I eventually bit the bullet and purchased a ~$55 unit which works out of the box. Well.... sort of!

This is an MS2 and issue occurs with both TS 2.08 and 2.22.2

The bluetooth converter actually connects and communicates with TS on the stim. My problem is..... TS says that it is not connected! The dash is dimmed as though it is not connected and TS says it is off line but, the dash gauges all work correctly in the mean time.

I am suspecting a setup problem with the BT that is incompatible with MS serial comms. This is certainly not a burning issue. Just wondering if anyone might have a thought on this?

Ken

Screenshot attached
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Ken,

I have seen this before and it was also when using a CAN device. It seems that TS sometimes has problems with the delay it takes for the bluetooth connection to be established. However, I can't get it to do this again in either TS version. What you can do when using TS 2.2.22 is to go in the project properties and tell TS to use the default protocol; TS now detects the correct protocol and it seems that this helps in establishing the communication.

If you still have issues, start a new thread in the TS section.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

baz-r wrote:OK people we are there at last :) i can now get comms but only wired 2-3, 3-2 & 5-5 to ms and 2-2, 3-3 & 5-5 on pc ( i make that arse about face for style of male plug ) so the dream of putting a link wire in for pin9 5v and just pluging direct into ms com port is dead but on the other hand anyone who is useing ms1 should be able to power of in car usb mini phone charger and with a home made crossed db9 lead will be up and going with no pcb mods. ms2ers will need to change baud rate and i recomend using Hterm prog with CR-LF selected on send on enter then you can just type in at commands directly with enter to send
works fine with msdroid with my android phone now so see no reason why it will not work with anything else :yeah!:
*UPDATE*

plug back broken out and pins 2+3 crossed over to allow direct connection to MS, reset button removed to stop resetting to defult by mistake

and i did try linking to pin9 for 5v from ms but im not happy with results as i drop comms and need to re connect on every power cycle :| and you would need to pick up usb pin/track that is tiny (dont use battery + point on pcb unless you glue switch in slave) you could chop an old usb lead and knock somthing up along with a crossed serial leed.

im sticking with 12v-5v power supply so i dont drop comms on ign cycle
landmer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by landmer »

TheWoo wrote:I have been trying to do this following the information on this thread, but the board i have seems to me a later version. Markings read BT <-> RS232 V1.3. all the ones in the guides seem to be 1.2.

Not a problem i thought, I jumped the pins and managed to get it all configured, and i can see the device from my Android device with my settings.

The issue comes when i tried to attached the 5v+ the the 9-pin connector, there apears to be a component on these later versions, any ideas where to get next?

And the underside.
Did you find where to connect the 5v supply on the v1.3 card? I'm having the same issue..