rasberry pi integration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: rasberry pi integration

Post by LSXCutty »

So I just got a raspberry pi 3 up and running. I am going to use this as a dash with tuner-studio. But I was wondering. Using a MS3-pro can I connect the raspberry pi via serial with a USB adaptor and have a laptop plugged in via USB? Will it communicate to both devices at the same time?
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

Having a problem getting Mileage, instant Mileage, Odometer, and Trip odometer working on the latest beta release of tunerstudio. It works fine on my windows laptop but not on my rasberry pi.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Have you double checked your performance/economy settings on the Pi?
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

Yes that was my fault. I didn't select the speed sensor. Thanks.
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

Just spent my afternoon setting my new pi3 and screen up and got tunerstudio running and it all running well, so started tweaking boot times, found a set of recommneded commands to run and now fubar. Oh well, it was only a few hours work...
Ford Pinto (Euro 4cyl 2.0l SOHC) with TF035 Turbocharger - Now powered by MS2 V3.0 running MS2/Extra 3.4.2.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

theduck wrote:Just spent my afternoon setting my new pi3 and screen up and got tunerstudio running and it all running well, so started tweaking boot times, found a set of recommneded commands to run and now fubar. Oh well, it was only a few hours work...
If you have the Linux install...a typical system layout with separate /home partition you can probably be back up and running in 20 minutes, with no loss of you user customizations to TS/user preferences etc. Its not Windows, you can freely nuke the operating system from orbit and leave the /home partition alone.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

It's all sorted now, thanks though. Actually managed to improve my editing of the configuration and so it boots quicker now too.
Ford Pinto (Euro 4cyl 2.0l SOHC) with TF035 Turbocharger - Now powered by MS2 V3.0 running MS2/Extra 3.4.2.
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

Not sure if this is the correct section, but I will add it here and see how I go.

I'm in the process of setting up a Pi dash. I think I have most of it sorted, except for the fuel gauge.

I know I can make a circuit and use JS4/AD7 as input into the MS, then get that value into Tunerstudio and make a custom gauge. I do however want to keep that input open in case I want to fit a knock sensor. I have already used JS5/AD6 for a real time barro sensor.

I think there is a way to get the fuel gauge sensor reading into the RPi3. What I was hoping for was a way to get the sensor reading from the Pi into tuner studio and into a gauge. I have played with TS and couldn't see anything obvious that would suggest that it is possible, but I'm no expert.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Anyone have links to some advice about this?
CB70 12V 3cyl 993cc Daihatsu | MS2X Sequential Fuel and Spark | Flex Fuel Launch Control | Raspberry Pi Dash
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

VLC-05L wrote:Not sure if this is the correct section, but I will add it here and see how I go.

I'm in the process of setting up a Pi dash. I think I have most of it sorted, except for the fuel gauge.

I know I can make a circuit and use JS4/AD7 as input into the MS, then get that value into Tunerstudio and make a custom gauge. I do however want to keep that input open in case I want to fit a knock sensor. I have already used JS5/AD6 for a real time barro sensor.

I think there is a way to get the fuel gauge sensor reading into the RPi3. What I was hoping for was a way to get the sensor reading from the Pi into tuner studio and into a gauge. I have played with TS and couldn't see anything obvious that would suggest that it is possible, but I'm no expert.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Anyone have links to some advice about this?
Not really. the easiest way is to add an IO Extender.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
jmmorgan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jmmorgan »

Has anyone gotten the raspberry pi 3 BT to work with TS. When I try to connect it say that no services are available. The communication tab in TS sees the ports, but they do not work (i.e., it does not detect any controller). Any thoughts?
John
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I have zero experience with these mini-computers yet but I'm thinking of installing one permanently in my '73 Dodge Dart.

Anyone tried using a Banana Pi instead of a Raspberry?
The Banana Pi (or even Orange Pi / ODROID 'puters) seem to have better/faster specs than the Rasps.

Raspberry vs Banana Pi vs Orange pi vs ODROID comparison;
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1098/ ... update.png
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

That Odroid 8 core XU4 looks like a beast, but lack of native bluetooth could be an issue, drawing 4 amps might be another...

By the time you add all the needed IO, screen, storage etc, a simple 8" dual core Atom tablet running win10 (or Linux) is still an overwhelming win on value, as it's "done" and ~ready to go, as-is, all you have to figure out is how to mount it.

If you just want to tinker, by all means lead the way, I totally get it.

These all seem memory limited, 4gb would be more reasonable, although if you are just running TS or a dash 2gb is likely plenty. Unless TunerStudio has become SMP aware/multithreaded, 2 reasonably fast cores are going to be better than 8 weak ones, much like a lot of old games.

It would be interesting to try the native Android build if recent, running Linux at the same time is reasonably easy and fast as the Linux kernel is already running the show.(works well on x86, although the graphics are a touch slow, as Android doesn't share the GFX acceleration)
This would allow you to run ShadowDash or MSDroid for your dash, and almost instantly switch over to TS or MLV if needed, no reboot required.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

How do you get tunerstudio to run at start up? Did you edit the rc.local file?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

That would run it as root, bad from a security standpoint, and hard to get the timing right, as it will try to start even if X11 isn't running.

Calling from users .bashrc a somewhat better plan, but you'd need to delay until after starting Xorg at least.

Most DEs (desktop environments) have one or more ways to open programs after startup as well, so I'd go there first.
acedeuce802
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by acedeuce802 »

I commanded "nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart" then added "@lxterminal -e /home/pi/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh"
LeBaldii
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LeBaldii »

Hi Guys! I'm from Brazil, I have a Fiat Marea Turbo, forjed, and I'm mounting a Raspberry Pi 3 on my 1DIN DVD, I recorded 2 videos from my projetc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YUhF79pNzg
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwZuIAyIIUo

Obs.: I know... I'm speaking Portuguese in the video and you guys will not understand :lol: , so ignore me talking and only see the images hahaha

So... I have only one question... is there any way to put a Clock Gause in the TS? I can only put seconds... and didnt find to configure a Hours and Minutes gauge

Thank you guys!
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Nice looking setup!

What was model of unit?
LeBaldii
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LeBaldii »

piledriver wrote:Nice looking setup!

What was model of unit?
Thanks... the Model of my car? It is a 2004/2005 model, with the back model based on Lancia Lybra (I think it is exclusive on Brazil, like this version Turbo, using the 2.0 20v turbo from Fiat Coupe 20VT)

2 Pics to Ilustrate :D

theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

Finally got the Pi about finished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri6PFlJHtE4

Any tips for improving the boot time more than this?
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

I added a micro to my project. The problem I have is the menu for project properties is off the screen and I can not select can devices to set it up. I can not drag the menu down either. Any ideas how to do this?