rasberry pi integration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: rasberry pi integration

Post by LT401Vette »

It looks like the TunerStudio.sh file never passes the file name into TunerStudio
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ok is there a way to get past this? i have the same thing with mlv as well on the pi
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Replace the .sh files with these
Phil Tobin
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

legend works great
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I did my first on the road long distance trip with it a week ago and had two issues of moderate concern. Boot time is still a hair over a minute, but for my purposes here will be fine.

The first issue I encountered is the screen was timing out and shutting down after 15 minutes and the power supply would need to be reset to bring it back up. Clearly annoying on a 4 hour trip, so after it shut off the second time I would just boot it up before the base of a hill climb so I could watch the coolant temp and such climbing mountains. I thought it was a raspberry pi issue, but turned out to be a setting on the monitoring hardware. I think I have it corrected now. The second problem is more disconcerting, towards the end of the trip I was having power reset issues. At this time I am unsure if it is my power supply (5v 2.1 continuous amp 12v adapter), the power supply's connection to the car (aftermarket cigarette lighter/power port), or if the raspberry pi is having some kind of restart issue. It hasn't done it on the power supply in the house, nor did it have any issues for the first two or so hours of driving. The next step is going to be hard wiring the power supply to a toggle switch in the car.

The ultimate goal is to have it mounted behind the dash on the right side of the cluster, where the trim piece is with the Pontiac arrowhead on it.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
mangocats
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mangocats »

Hey,

I'm considering putting a Megasquirt + Double DIN touchscreen + Pi2 in my car ('91 Miata, turbo with old Link ECU), and I'm wondering what the performance difference is between the Pi2 and other embedded PC options?

Most importantly - UI response time, how long from a click to a response - boot time < 30 seconds would also be nice. I have a Pi2 I'm playing with, KDE (even with desktop effects off) is a little slow for me on the Pi2 (with a U3 microSD), I'm going to try Raspbian and a lighter desktop on it next...

New to Megasquirt - can I play with Tuner Studio and get a sense of performance without an actual Megasquirt to hook it up to?

Thanks,
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You can play with Tunerstudio, create projects. load projects etc and play with all the options w/o a ECU.
There is a gauge "demo mode" than cycles all the gauges that may be a good test.

Mind, when just logging or autotuning, if you iconify or even minimize TS to just the menus the CPU utilization drops to ~nothing.
Graphics uses the vast majority of CPU.
(At least on a Core2 dual core based laptop, YMMV severely)

These days, if you don't need the programmable IO of a Pi, I'd just use one of the recent x86 compute sticks if money allows.
Much more CPU power.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
mill383
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mill383 »

I just finished up the installation of a Raspberry PI2 B (quad core) in the car and working as a TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer computer. I have to say I am very happy with it so far. Its small size and low power draw makes it easy to install. An added bonus was that the LCD display I'm using has multiple video inputs. So I added a back-up camera that automatically turns on when shifted in reverse. Handy when you're strapped into the 5-point harness and can't turn around easily.

Some comments about the PI. It does not have a real-time clock (RTC). If it has internet connection, it will use the internet to create a pseudo system clock. When you are remote, and if you are only data logging using the on-board MS3 SD card, you'll be ok (assuming you have a RTC on the MS3). But if you want to data log via TS and the PI real-time, then it would be better to add a RTC module to the PI. I had some trouble getting this to work, but eventually I found the proper internet how-to's. And it is keeping accurate time. Also, for internet access, you have to add a USB wireless WIFI dongle to the PI. This was easy to setup. I have tried several wired and wireless keyboards and mice with the PI, and have had no connectivity problems. It just works. Video connectivity via the HDMI port is straight forward also. For a PI newbie, I would suggest buying your $35 PI2B from MCM Electronics, and spend the extra couple of bucks for a pre-flashed microSD card which will have the necessary image already flashed on the card. Or search on EBAY for a PI 2B NOOBS starter kit. Be sure you're getting the new quad core, 1GB RAM PI. With the pre-loaded SD card, getting it running is as easy as connect a keyboard, mouse, and connect to your HDMI TV, and boom, it works.

TunerStudio comment: I would like to see a streamlined process to downloading files from MS3's on-board SD card. Seems like too many button clicks. For example, a one button click would be nice, which copies all datalogs from the on-board SD card into a predetermined location on the computer drive, and then wipes the on-board SD card clean. And why the pop-up notification screen afterwards that I have to close? Not needed. Am trying to keep it simple while analyzing data between drag strip passes.

Once the files are on PI's flash drive, I have a one-click .sh script that copies them to a removable thumbdrive, if I want to analyze the data on a different PC/laptop.

BTW, the PI is very robust against just turning off power any time you want. Forget about needing to select "shutdown" and waiting, like you do with Windoze. Just kill the power. Upon applying power, my PI takes 34 secs to reach the desktop home screen, and then another 30 secs for TunerStudio to startup, read and compare msq, etc. So about 1 minute wait time to reach a usable TS screen. Not too bad.

MegaSquirt + imbedded Raspberry PI = lots of capability!
IMG_7336 (Medium).JPG
Home screen.
IMG_7341 (Medium).JPG
TS up and running.
IMG_0956 (Medium).JPG
LCD Driver and Raspberry PI computer
Dave
1958 Cushman scooter Microsquirt'ed and turbo-ed
1994 Camaro MS3Pro and GPIO MShift
1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon, MS3Pro and uV3 TCU
mill383
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mill383 »

piledriver wrote: These days, if you don't need the programmable IO of a Pi, I'd just use one of the recent x86 compute sticks if money allows.
Much more CPU power.
Yes, those Compute Sticks do look interesting!
Dave
1958 Cushman scooter Microsquirt'ed and turbo-ed
1994 Camaro MS3Pro and GPIO MShift
1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon, MS3Pro and uV3 TCU
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

LT401Vette wrote:Looks pretty good.

The ini loader has a read only mode where it only load the sections it needs for dashboard. That is what is used by ShadowDash, I thought there was a parameter you could put in the project to tell it to load in that mode, but it doesn't appear so. I need to add that.

By stripping do the ini you can remove a bunch of sections. Some things like all the tooltip help that has been added has caused a great deal of bloat in the newer firmwares and you don't need it for dashboards and data logging.

You can delete all these sections:
[LoggerDefinition]
[SettingContextHelp]
[Menu]
[ControllerCommands]
[UserDefined]
[PortEditor]
[CurveEditor]
[Tuning]
Hello Phil,

Do to some linux goofing up, trying to improve the remote desktop reliability, I've had to start over and have it almost back to where I was and now have TS version 2.6.16 on the RPi and was wondering if the ini setting for a read only mode had been implemented? In the "Options -> Performance" menu there is a greyed out "Run in Lite Mode", but I cannot check it, well because it's greyed out.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

"run in lite mode" simply means in the unregistered mode, minus some non-essential (but extremely good) features.
...not read only.

If you are testing with unregistered TS "run in lite mode" will be greyed out as you are already in "lite mode".
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Hello,

I finally have time to work on my dashboard, with a Pi2 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLkrO5zkQQ

Need some optimization, but result corresponds to my need. :P
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I have added a Dash Only Mode in today's release.

That skips loading any ini stuff related to tuning and drops all tabs except the dashboard tab.
Phil Tobin
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Oooh, I'll have to hook it up tonight and update it! Cool. The RPi 2 definitely boots quicker, but its not quite right enough to video :) Thanks Phil!

TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

remsperso wrote:Hello,

I finally have time to work on my dashboard, with a Pi2 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLkrO5zkQQ

Need some optimization, but result corresponds to my need. :P

I like that start video! I haven't gone that far, but since the video I made I did jazz up the desktop with a picture with an overhead view if the inline six engine so that flashes up before TS starts up.

remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Thank you! ;-)
This morning I mounted the Pi2 in my car:
https://youtu.be/IWfGvrZ6r3Q
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

after reading through from the beginning of this thread, I'm still lost of what should be done in the first place to get the raspi to run.
Seems that I have to be spoon feed.... Somebody please help me... I need a step by step how to's.... :mrgreen:
I have a raspi but I don't know how to utilise it.
(4G63T - MSIIextra) (4G13 - MS3-beta testing)
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Gokart wrote:after reading through from the beginning of this thread, I'm still lost of what should be done in the first place to get the raspi to run.
Seems that I have to be spoon feed.... Somebody please help me... I need a step by step how to's.... :mrgreen:
I have a raspi but I don't know how to utilise it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the d*** thing acted consistently, but no chance of that it seems. I updated Tuner Studio to 2.9117 and it gets hung up again. I copied/renamed the librxtxSerial(-2.2pre1).so file over again and over wrote the ones to the TS/lib folders but no luck. Uninstalled both TS and the rxtx drivers and re-installed and still a no go. :evil:

remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Check the +x rights on the rxtx libraries you copied in all TS subdirectories :
chmod +x librxtxSerial(-2.2pre1).so

;-)
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

TunerStudio 2.9 doesn't use RXTX, so there is no need to worry about librxtxSerial.so.

In 117 it is probably the bluetooth direct drivers that are hanging it. They were not disabled on Linux. Bluetooth will be disabled on Linux in the next release.
Phil Tobin