rasberry pi integration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: rasberry pi integration

Post by grom_e30 »

I found out today that not only was the battery dead in my rtc but it had also been soldered to the board backwards, the +ve to the -ve and so on
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

grom_e30 wrote:I found out today that not only was the battery dead in my rtc but it had also been soldered to the board backwards, the +ve to the -ve and so on
Gotta love Chinese QC.

FWIW I just tried tuner studio on a Microcenter tw802--- quad core atom 1.86ghz burst, win8.1.
nice screen, decent 8" touchscreen... great little tablet for $100.

No joy getting it to fully load Android-x86 or Linux, graphics issues, but its just a matter of time before that's solved.

Tunerstudio was almost unusable with out a mouse/keyboard, very nearly impossible to "hit" the dots on the wue curves, or select menu items.
onscreen keyboard also does not pop up clicking on text blocks (probably a java limitation, using Oracle Java 8r30 or such)
OSK does work if opened manually while box is selected.

My wifes 10.1" TW100 touchscreen is barely usable for the same reasons, but it has a "wired" dock/cover with a keyboard and trackpadfor detail work.

None of this will work at arms length on a dash mouted setup, the needed accuracy is impossible, needs big fat buttons designed fo a touchscreen to be actually usable on such. pinch-zoom doesn't work in TS either. (possibly a Java limitation)

The only reason I mention this is to point out TS (and Windows desktop, for that matter) are simply not designed touchscreen freindly, even if you can run it, you will probably hate using it w/o a mouse and keyboard, or a much larger touchscreen.

Works well with a Wacom pen at 12.1" FWIW, but still not at arms length.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
mill383
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mill383 »

Battery backward, yeah? I'll have to check mine...

I just had first successful PI to MS3 connection, first try. I am running the latest V134 code on a MS3Pro, which greatly improved TS to MS communication speeds. So my hopes were high! With my laptop (an Acer Aspire Intel Atom 1.6Ghz dual core 1GB ram) connected, runtime data rate is 35. With the Pi2 runtime data rate is 20. Hmm. Pi2 is overclocked to 1mhz. It has 1GB ram. Quad core. So why isn't it as fast as the Acer?

One interesting thing was that the serial connectivity with the Pi was much easier than with windows. My RS232 to USB converter worked first try, and the direct USB cable worked, first try, with no changes. That was nice. Maybe I can change something to find more speed.

Another interesting thing was that when I took a picture of the setup with a flash camera, the flash caused the Pi to loose video, or processor reset? Anyhow, the monitor screen went blank. Had to reset power to the Pi to get it back. I think I've heard of this on Pi forums.

piledriver, thanks for posting about the tablets. There are a lot of options, and that makes this hobby fun. If I do integrate a car-puter, permanently in the car, like SilverBuick has done, it will be mini-keyboard/mouse driven.
Dave
1958 Cushman scooter Microsquirt'ed and turbo-ed
1994 Camaro MS3Pro and GPIO MShift
1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon, MS3Pro and uV3 TCU
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

If you have registered TS, do try the JSSC drivers listed under "usb and wireless".
>doubled my reliable FPS vs. std RXTX.

JSSC is for Linux, but you may need to compile/install something as the jssc libs furnished by the TS archive are for x86/amd64, not ARM, and things may or may not work automagically.

https://code.google.com/p/java-simple-serial-connector/
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

piledriver wrote:If you have registered TS, do try the JSSC drivers listed under "usb and wireless".
>doubled my reliable FPS vs. std RXTX.

JSSC is for Linux, but you may need to compile/install something as the jssc libs furnished by the TS archive are for x86/amd64, not ARM, and things may or may not work automagically.

https://code.google.com/p/java-simple-serial-connector/
Actually ARM drivers are bundled and should be automatically selected.
There is no where to put your own compiled version the way it is set up.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Cool. I was just being a pessimist :lol:
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

mill383 wrote: Another interesting thing was that when I took a picture of the setup with a flash camera, the flash caused the Pi to loose video, or processor reset? Anyhow, the monitor screen went blank. Had to reset power to the Pi to get it back. I think I've heard of this on Pi forums.
yeah I know that, with led flash there's no problem, but if you use a xenon one or a laser pointer it will shutdown ... embarassing :lol:

due to U16 component being "photosensitive" (i think it's the correct english term)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/xenon-death- ... cs-lesson/
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

mill383 wrote: SilverBuick,
What remote desktop method were you using? I had good success using TightVNC on a Pi B+, but haven't tried it on the Pi2 yet.
I am/was using the XRDP sesman on the Pi with the Window's Remote Desktop application. I'd just put the Pi's IP address in and go. But since the update it won't connect. I uninstalled/removed and re-installed the XRDP, but it still didn't work.

I did not double check the clock time yesterday to see if it is truly holding time, but I don't recall doing a bunch of programming for it.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
mill383
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mill383 »

My RTC problem was a broken battery lead where it solders to the board. Probably from me fidling with it.
At least it was intstalled with correct polarity. Its working like a champ now.
Dave
mill383
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mill383 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: I am/was using the XRDP sesman on the Pi with the Window's Remote Desktop application.
I was having problems with TightVNC, it would only remote in as "root" and seemed to open a different session than what was showing on the pi desktop.

I found this thread, and installed x11vnc on the pi.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =28&t=9380

It works with the TightVNC viewer that I have on the Win7 desktop. And pulls up the normal pi desktop. I can now open TS remotely.
Dave
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

So I checked and sure enough the RTC clock isn't doing anything. It fake timed me! :o It looks like it is remembering the time it was last on and had though, so over time it'll get more and more off, but it does seem to at least remember its in March 2015, which is good enough for Tuner Studio.

I found my issue was the IP address of the Pi changed during the update, and once I actually checked it on the Pi (and not through my laptop ping) and used that IP address the XRDP sesman remote desktop worked again :D At which point I made the trims to the ini file that Phil suggested. Initially I had an error on line 3135 which was just some dashes (section separator?), so cleared that and it loads up mint and trimmed.

I now need to sort out how to load up automatically from boot up, and preferably without the GUI loading up.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

There are free X11 servers that run on Windows, Android and of course Linux and freinds.

If you are using ethernet connections you seriously should be using that vs VNC... thats intended primarily for low bandwidth (serial dialup) connections.
remote X11 also offloads the Xservers graphics load to the windows (or Linux/Android) front end box, that setup works fluidly on everything from embedded unix to supercomputers for >20 years. (X11 was designed specifically for retargetable graphics, not duct taped on like RDP)

There is also a low bandwidth option for X11 that is likely to work over wifi well, if your Pi is so endowed.

XSDL is an excellent Android Xserver, runs full screen on Android 4.4+

The 8" Win8 tablet went back today--- If I could have gotten it to run Android and Linux I might have kept it, but usung the touchscreen for tunerstudio and Windows was a drag, I'll keep using my old thinkpads...

I think I'm "over" wanting to get a tablet now.
(OK, maybe a 10.1" as that worked OK)
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

For my purposes, the slow, processor intensive, XRDP works just fine for its simplicity. The only time I need to have the Pi on a remote desktop is when I'm moving or editing files. Maybe updating Tuner Studio. Otherwise, all graphics are going to be through the HDMI port to the small screen, and adjusting the visual layout or changing gauges will be handled on the attached screen.

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is it possible to get ts to open and load a msq from just double clicking on the msq file? if so can i have a step by step guide.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

grom_e30 wrote:is it possible to get ts to open and load a msq from just double clicking on the msq file? if so can i have a step by step guide.
Uner KDE right click on icon, "open with..." pops up a dialog wher you can select any app to open with, even ones not in the KDE menus.
(done by typing in the complete path to the executable in the text box... or browsing the filesystem)
...will also allow you to "remember the application association for this type of file". (optional)
I assume most other Destop Environments (DEs) have similar functions, some may not be as simple.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah i have done that it works to the fact it opens up tunerstudio when i double click on a msq but thats all it does, it does not ask if i want to use an existing or temp project just sits on the welcome page.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

grom_e30 wrote:yeah i have done that it works to the fact it opens up tunerstudio when i double click on a msq but thats all it does, it does not ask if i want to use an existing or temp project just sits on the welcome page.
So you do get the prompt, but the project never opens?
Where is the progress bar at the bottom?
It may be not loading the right RXTX driver when started like that.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if i click on the tunerstudio.sh file i get a box open i click execute and ts opens to the welcome screen asking what project to open and i can open projects by clicking them.

i right clicked on a msq and told it to open with ts and told it where the .sh file lives and saved that, now if i double click on a msq it opens ts to the welcome screen but thats as far as it goes it does not try to load the msq or ask me what project to open.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

First in car test was a success!

I still want to work on boot up speed and I need to figure out how to move the cursor out of the way on its own. The googled "unclutter" program solution error's out on download, as in the web links are no longer valid, when I tried it.

Its' about a 1:10 from ON to displaying data :)
https://youtu.be/PuRptJNBIMA

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

LT401Vette wrote:
grom_e30 wrote:yeah i have done that it works to the fact it opens up tunerstudio when i double click on a msq but thats all it does, it does not ask if i want to use an existing or temp project just sits on the welcome page.
So you do get the prompt, but the project never opens?

i get no prompt just sits there at the welcome screen