rasberry pi integration

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: rasberry pi integration

Post by weeblebiker »

very frustrating
a lot of embedded fanless mini solutions are available many with rs232 ports and 6-24v dc input, but very little infiltration into the us market. the ebox 3300 series looked promising. I think the us market is under the delusion $250-350 is the pricepoint for a pc box designed for third/fourth world markets. and add $200 to that for "industrial" aplications :evil:
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

looks like the most cost effective solution is an android tablet (get one you can find rooting instructions for) with blue tooth $200 ish for a 10" possibly way less, and a efi analytics bluetooth transmitter $60ish and wirless mini keyboard/mouse $30 ish . should be done under $300 easily possibly closer to $200.

just get shadow dash or root the tablet and install linux and run full Tuner Studio.

This thread was enlightening

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=140761
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Yep, I have a ~4 year old 12.1" android tablet with a Wacom pen setup, Core2 duo, 8GB RAM, 750GB SSHD, and an SDcard slot, cold boots Android 4.22 in ~8 seconds.
Has a truly excellent keyboard built in.

MSDroid looks AWESOME on it ;-)

Runs Win8 and Linux pretty good too.

If your old laptop has intel graphics give the android JB images a try.
(this includes a lot of netbooks)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Back to the topic : PI integration. :RTFM:
Has someone tested serial communication between PI and TS, with gauges displaying current values?
I have a PI, a 7" HDMI touchscreen and TS. I'm configuring the touch panel, but I would like to know if someone has already gone forward...

I use Debian Squeeze, The Pi boot was slow : that was because of keyboard and locales settings mapping. I corrected it by running "sudo setupcon".
I updated Squeeze with rpi-update : the updated version seems to be faster.
I set screen resolution to 800x600. Not overclocking at that moment.

Next :
- finish touch config
- install Oracle JRE
- install TS beta
- configure serial com.

Phil, did you have tested communication and reactivity?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Try openjre and install rxtx-nolock.
(requires setting a symlink to the librxtxSerial.so supplied in rxtx-nolock with each new TS update)

openjre is the reference implementation of java now.

Reported as working config on ARM.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Thank you for your feedback piledriver! ;-)
rxtx-nolock : ok!
I saw this morning theses tutorials : http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection and http://codeandlife.com/2012/07/01/raspb ... ax3232cpe/.
The MAX3232 converter is a good option for my need, because I have to make a little PCB to convert 12V to 5V DC : I can add some more components on this board.

I searched benchmarks between OpenJRE and Oracle JRE. Oracle Java 8 seems a good option : http://blog.gonzih.me/blog/2013/04/14/c ... le-java-8/.
Did you tested yourself these 2 runtimes?

Remy
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

No, didn't even realize Java 8 was out.
chacaman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chacaman »

Raspberry vs Odriod

Odroid:

1.7GHz Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad-core processor
with PoP (Package on Package) 2Gbyte LPDDR2 880Mega Data Rate

More info:
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... t_info.php
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Slick.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

I've dropped this completely.
my understanding is basically we are trying to force a RISC (reduced instruction set computing) processor (pi,android, apple) to run a CISC (complex instruction set computing) x86 based program without terribly lagging (bunch of clock cycles for CISC to RISC conversion)

shadow dash and shadow logger and msdroid are pretty good already
the android version of ts will be done soon maybe this year????

once one of the android aps are able to handle the tuning completely I'll revisit this, although it still may end up cheaper to simply run a tablet in the dash.

I picked up a Nexus 7, shadow dash, and bluetooth transmitter for my birthday
seishuku
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by seishuku »

Java programs are not RISC nor CISC, it doesn't care what processor it's running on... The Java runtime on the other hand does, which ARM has a native JRE.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

My suspicion is oracle will get over their tiff with Google about the android/java similarities. Change the profit stream model from charging alot to the programmer to charging a little to the end user and release a java ap for android soon. Once they way the legal fees and market image damage to charging every android user 9.99 or so for a java ap.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

weeblebiker wrote:My suspicion is oracle will get over their tiff with Google about the android/java similarities. Change the profit stream model from charging alot to the programmer to charging a little to the end user and release a java ap for android soon. Once they way the legal fees and market image damage to charging every android user 9.99 or so for a java ap.
They want Big Money from the device manufacturers.

I'd gladly give Oracle .99 on Google Play if only make Larry Ellison STFU.
(And I had use of the jdk on all devices)

The funny thing is Google did ~about the same thing making Dalvic that Microsoft did.
(Although for much different reasons)
What cost Microsoft was they still kept calling their custom Java "Java"
They paid a huge stupid tax for that, after many, many warnings.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Back to the topic.
I made my 1st comm try between TS on the Pi and a MS2extra. It works, gauges are moving! :yeah!:
But, refresh is very slow and CPU load is 100%...
I am using Oracle jdk, Pi not overclocked.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

remsperso wrote:Back to the topic.
I made my 1st comm try between TS on the Pi and a MS2extra. It works, gauges are moving! :yeah!:
But, refresh is very slow and CPU load is 100%...
I am using Oracle jdk, Pi not overclocked.
Cool!!!
is there an Android (4.0+) build for RP?

Might want to try the latest beta MSDroid, it worked reasonably on my old HTC Hero, Shadowdash may also be an option, although it's BT only.

You are liable only to see update rates of 5-6 per second via BT @ 115200, the bandwidth is quite limited.
Should be able to double it (with TS) by setting "usecan commands" in project properties.
hummer010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hummer010 »

I too have managed to get the Pi talking to my MS2 (running on a stim). It isn't very fast for sure.

I think the main performance problem with the pi is that the desktop isn't using any sort of graphical acceleration. The RPi foundation is funding work to get a desktop environment that is fully accelerated by the broadcom GPU that is based on wayland/weston. Until that is a reality, all of the desktop is being done in software, which is slow.

There is an android build for the Pi, but it suffers from the same lack of hardware acceleration as the linux desktop. I would guess that with the RPi foundation behind the wayland/weston development, it will be available sooner than an accelerated Android.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Megatunix perhaps?
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Hummer : do you use a usb/serial adapter?
piledriver : yes, megatunix is an option. But I like TS, I will try anything to make it work correctly on the Pi.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

anyone working on this recently?
with Oracle giving the green light and java coming pre installed in the latest Raspbian releases and the hardware video acceleration figured out, it may be a go now
at the very least getting msdroid to run well enough to use a embedded dash
Last edited by weeblebiker on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Yes, I know a guy that has been running it on a newer A7 based Pi and it is working quite well.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html