Firmware vs tuner software

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

evilhonda
MS/Extra Newbie

Firmware vs tuner software

Post by evilhonda »

I finally registered Tuner Studio and installed it for my car afters years with megatune. The software works great, is user friendly and looks a lot cooler than the previous software. I found it to be compatable with my old 2.1.0 firmware. It seems like the old 2.1.0 firmware has trouble with tps values which lead me to install the newer software. So I am wondering why the new firmware for my ecu was not identified with the correct ini file name that the new tuning software is looking for. I tried several times to install the firmware and then build a new tune but I kept getting a mismatch of the file names tuner was looking for Ms2extra/3.2.5 but firmware was named Ms2extra325, from memory so those names may be a little different. It could be my mistake or the laptop(Dell Latitude with 9 pin bus) or maybe the firmware got updated after I downloaded it. I dont know.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Firmware vs tuner software

Post by LT401Vette »

There are 2 elements:
The ini files serial signature - "MS2Extra Serial325 "
The Firmware Info - MS2Extra 3.2.5 Date copyright

Because it can be the case that the firmware is updated and the ini isn't, the firmware info is now used to specify the Firmware version instead of the signature. The signature is updated when there is a change to the ini file.

So TS tries to display the firmware info instead of the signature when it can. Naturally without connecting to a controller it can't.

So the 2 strings you have there look to loosely represent a signature and a firmware version that both equate to MS2 Extra 3.2.5

When are you getting a mismatch error?
Are you connecting to the controller?

TS should offer to automatically update your ini if you are connected to the internet.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
evilhonda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by evilhonda »

I'll have to try again to install the newer firmware because I was installing it over a very old installation of 2.1.0 since then I dug up the original 2.1.0 firmware and s19 from my old pc that died a couple of years ago. I was connected to the controller but the controller has high milage. I there a way to check the processor card for damage from all of the miles and years of use.
evilhonda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by evilhonda »

Also I got the mismatch notice when I selected the ms 2 extra base tune at the very beginning but then it identified the 2.1.0 firmware with no problems. I can be more specific after this next try I'll write down the notices and when I got them.
evilhonda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by evilhonda »

That worked, the whole thing took about three minutes.
I loaded the firmware while connected to the internet and it prompted me to update the ini, then to load my old msq and choose the controller or the tuner settings.
So, I selected the tuner settings because the controller was blank, reconnected the ignition coil and it started right up.
It looks like the 2.1.0 tps problem is gone because my low rpm stability is back. I still need to see if the trigger wizard is fuctional and if it is really retarding the timing at low rpm, but I think it's fixed because I can run the car at 200 rpm doing around 1 or 2 miles an hour without it stalling or jumping ahead.
Not attatching the msq because it comes with a long winded explanation.
evilhonda
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by evilhonda »

This is an old post, but I want to keep the record straight, I mentioned problems with the trigger offset, the problem was my fault. I modified the crank sensor wheel incorrectly. To correct it, I reverted back to my original vr setup in the distributor with new parts because the distributor was originally arranged to adjust the vr sensor to zero degrees of trigger offset. Of course that resolved the trigger wizard problem, because the tach input arrives early enough for the ecu to calculate for the entire revolution. When the tach events arrive late, the ecu fails to process during any degree amount before the tach event. It was concealed by the fact that my setup processes each event successively. If I had set the timing offset for a very high advance degree it would fire the right cylinder but would not be able to fire that cylinder before the signal arrived, excluding the twelve degrees after tdc and before that cylinder's tach signal arrival. The problem was evident in the difference between the reported timing in the trigger wizard and the actual timing read by a timing light. I could have shifted the plug wires at the distributer by one cylinder, and it would work, but that would create problems with maintenance later if the change was overlooked, or if a shop mechanic was working on it(principle engineering cue), and of course the trigger offset would be too far away from the real tach arrival for accurate calculation.