Automatically setting time on the MS3

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Automatically setting time on the MS3

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I do not have the clock module on the MS3 expander board, but with my digital dash I have a car computer that essentially always has TunerStudio going, but still use the SD card data logging because it's simpler to pull the logs off on to my tuning laptop than from the car computer. I was wondering if it were possible to have Tuner Studio automatically update the time on the MS3 on connection? Or does the MS3 not work that way without the clock module?

It would be extra handy in sorting datalogs.

Thanks.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Automatically setting time on the MS3

Post by Reverant »

Without the RTC module, there isn't something inside the MS3 that can accurately keep the time without drifitng several seconds even over half an hour.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Being seconds or even minutes off wouldn't bother me much, they'd at least let me know if it was yesterday morning's log or the night before's, etc. And if the time sync'd with tunerstudio on startup, then the times I'd normally be datalogging would likely be within an hour of starting the car up. The longest I've ran the car without restarting it around 4-4.5 hours. Then I need fuel =P

Currently I just keep a very clean/empty SD card and keep track of when and how often I push the datalog button like I'm sure most folks without the clock module do.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

My recommendation then is that you get the clock module if the functionality is important to you.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost