Crashing - Java Platform SE Binary has Stopped Working

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Crashing - Java Platform SE Binary has Stopped Working

Post by ErnieJones »

Tuner Studio keeps crashing on my desktop right after opening (it doesn't complete) and I get a pop-up window stating;

Java(TM) Platform SE Binary has stopped working
Check online for a solution OR Close the Program

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: javaw.exe
Application Version: 7.0.670.1
Application Timestamp: 53d28730
Fault Module Name: StackHash_f5ca
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea8e7
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce753
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f5ca
Additional Information 2: f5ca340507f8c0698590e1b3335a6ded
Additional Information 3: 1035
Additional Information 4: 1035ce24fd4272c453afbb0e5ead71ac

I've un-installed all traces of Java and then installed the latest version. I then re-started the computer and removed all instances of Tuner Studio and then downloaded the latest release version. Same thing. I then downloaded the latest Beta - same thing.

Platform is Windows 7 w/all updates on a clean system.

Any ideas?
Thanks you;
Ernie
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Crashing - Java Platform SE Binary has Stopped Working

Post by ErnieJones »

Weird......

I managed to get it working again. I dug through the registry doing searches for everything related to EFI/TS and found little other then extension helpers. This cause me to wonder where the information is kept when the option to start the last profile is active?

Deleting my Tuner Studio profile in My Documents helped as well as manually deleting the Tuner Studio Directory and telling the program not to reload the last profile.

But...here's what really helped...deleting the bluetooth connection to the ECU and then re-adding it. That got it to change COM ports.

At that point we're up and running again :yeah!:

Just as an aside, and because I'm new to Tuner Studio and the 'squirt lineup, are there other wireless technologies other then bluetooth available for the 'squirts ?
Thanks you;
Ernie
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

ErnieJones wrote:... are there other wireless technologies other then bluetooth available for the 'squirts ?
Google is your friend, but yes.
Look for RS232 wireless solutions/modules that can hook upto PCs... WiFi & BLE for starters :)

Mike
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Yep, TS has a direct TCP/IP driver for WiFi
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

LT401Vette wrote:Yep, TS has a direct TCP/IP driver for WiFi
Would Shadow Dash also work with Wifi on a uS module?

What I'm finding is that, while BlueTooth works, the range is not very good. This was made worse when I installed my Microsquirt Module into it's plastic case and will likely be made worse yet when it's buried under the gas tank in my bike :cry:

So more range would be ideal and it would be really nice to leave the com port issues aside (if that's possible).

So, Tuner Studio will work directly with WiFi, which is great, but will Shadow Dash? And, am I correct that the whole com port usage can be side-stepped by going wifi?
Thanks you;
Ernie
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Yes, Shadow Dash has an option in Preferences to connect with WiFi also. In both it does remove all virtual comms, it is direct TCP/IP, you need to supply an IP Address and Port.
Phil Tobin
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I'm looking more closely into WiFi as an option as I'm about to do a board re-design. So...just to recap & re-confirm;
  • Shadow Dash will have no problem with using WiFi on the ECU
  • Tuner Studio will have no problem with using WiFi on the ECU
So far so good, would the two apps for flashing firmware also work over Wifi ?

Ie. the DOS based app and also the GUI based app that I think is used for the stock B&G firmwares?

Are there any other "gotcha's" with respect to going WiFi? Anything I've missed?

At this point it looks expensive but I'd love to add it in provided nothing is going to come back to bite me in the rear....
Thanks you;
Ernie
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

The current firmware loaders do not work over WiFi unless you install a TCP/IP virtual com driver to expose a com port for the app. Then there are no guarantees, but it should work. The upcoming beta of TunerStudio will have a firmware loader built in and it will work over any of the TS drivers including WiFi / TCP/IP.

Another gotcha is test the 802.11 wifi module you are planning to use. The most common Roving Networks module seems to pause periodically. So your run time data will pause for 300-1000ms every 3-10 seconds. I am hoping this is resolved sometime soon. The more recent firmwares have improved the problem, but have not eliminated it.
Phil Tobin
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

Thanks for clarifying potential pitfalls for me.

I think the concept of putting a firmware loader into Tuner Studio is a smart move. As a new user to both the 'squirt and TS I had to go through what I would consider an unnecessary effort to get firmware loaded into the Microsquirt Module. I think it was made harder by the fact that it had no firmware ( :lol: ) but being able to install it through TS is a no-brainer and just makes sense. Good on ya for going that route.

Any chance you can add something else to the upcoming release?
Thanks you;
Ernie
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

LT401Vette wrote:The upcoming beta of TunerStudio will have a firmware loader built in and it will work over any of the TS drivers including WiFi / TCP/IP.
I can't wait to see this.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
91blkvette
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91blkvette »

ErnieJones wrote:Weird......

I managed to get it working again. I dug through the registry doing searches for everything related to EFI/TS and found little other then extension helpers. This cause me to wonder where the information is kept when the option to start the last profile is active?

Deleting my Tuner Studio profile in My Documents helped as well as manually deleting the Tuner Studio Directory and telling the program not to reload the last profile.

But...here's what really helped...deleting the bluetooth connection to the ECU and then re-adding it. That got it to change COM ports.

At that point we're up and running again :yeah!:

Just as an aside, and because I'm new to Tuner Studio and the 'squirt lineup, are there other wireless technologies other then bluetooth available for the 'squirts ?

Had the same problem trying to set up my BT adap. Noticed that TS does not like to be interrupted during the BT comm task. What I did was start task manager, and delete the java executable, then restart TS.

Then I had a problem that removing and reinstalling the BTA did not work.. The USB cable is a good backup to have.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

Yeah, I here you on that. Bluetooth, for us, has been both a boon and a bane. Wireless freedom but not much range and then the COM ports issue. When COM ports change it's a pain. Remove and re-install the BlueTooth dongle in a different port? That means it's going to be on a different COM port.

Don't get me wrong, I've got BlueTooth up and running well but there's always the potential issue. Several times I've had to completely remove Blue Tooth support from the O/S and re-install it.

My conclusion is that rev 2.0 of my next board is going to be WiFi. In fact, it's already in the design. It's just easier and more prolific then BT. Virtual COM ports can be problematic. Again, it's not to say BT doesn't work - it does but WiFi has more range and no virtual COM ports reducing a lot of the variables in the equation.
Thanks you;
Ernie