Small Tablets

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Small Tablets

Post by Rick Finsta »

Now that Microsoft dropped licensing fees on sub-8" screen tablets, I am looking at picking up a Acer Iconia or Toshiba Encore mini. Does anyone have experience with these machines, or similar machines, that might point to not being useful for running TunerStudio and Megalogviewer for live tuning in my car?

Screen is too small to be useful (7-8")? Processor too slow? Can't load certain programs? Something I haven't considered?

I would like to use it as a small digital dashboard and my phone is just too small to use Shadowdash, plus I want the VEAL running rather than logging and tuning afterwards until I get my maps and AE tweaked.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Small Tablets

Post by LT401Vette »

As long as it is Atom based it should be fine.

My main tuning laptop is a 10" Acer iconia tablet with a keyboard, it works quite well. The battery lasts a very long time with the keyboard on especially.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

I have a Toshiba Encore 8", it works great, but those small tables like AE and WUE are difficult to tune and sometimes difficult to activate even with a stylus, it might just be a setting issue. However VEAL works fine.

Patrick
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Thanks for the feedback! I was staring at a few 7, 8, and 10 inch units at the store and just couldn't envision TS running on them (as in how the screens would look and how easy it would be to manipulate). I was hoping to get something that I could use as a sort of digital dashboard as well but if the tables are hard to play with maybe I'll go with a larger screen and forsake the dashboard idea.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I have a Asus ME400C on the way after looking over a lot of reviews and deciding a 7-8" screen was just too small. I decided that having a natively-restorable unit was important to me, and a lot of the smaller ones only had 32GB of onboard memory, and the specific new Toshiba I was looking at had bad angle viewing on the screen IMHO. I'll update when I get it and get some time in the car on it.

Are you guys just tossing your tablets on the passenger seat or using a mount on the dashboard? Any drag racers using a dashboard mount that we know will hold up? Otherwise I might end up breaking out the welder and fabricating a mount...