no communication using USB cable

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

Just can't get my new notebook using Win 8.1 64bit to communicate via USB cable with my MS3x. Downloaded the Win 8.1 driver from the download site, installed it several times, nothing seems to help. I have two cables, none of them works, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I have to mention that my older laptop using XP and USB cable doesn't work either. The only way the laptop works is using the serial cable. Up to about a year ago it worked all the time using the USB cable but stopped with an update from TS.

Grateful for any help
1992 Corvette C4, modified 397ci engine using MS3X, CNP, 36-1 t-wheel
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: no communication using USB cable

Post by arnold1 »

Found out the following:
As soon as I plug in the USB cable I get a notice Unknown Device, device descriptor failed.
I see the installed FTID drivers under Windows/System 32.
Windows won’t let me install the drivers manually as it seems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It might be worth sending an email to FTDI support or seeing if they have a support forum?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
toonz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toonz »

I had the same issue with mine 2 days ago...I was freaking out because i thought my daughter board got damaged somehow... but in TunerStudio couldnt see my MS ECU... i found out that Windows did updates and fixes your Port settings without asking you... you have to reset your Ports COM all over again... i did just that and everything works again... just redo your setup from here -----> http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/serial_setup.html ... its what i did and everything worked... and also install the FTDI update for windows 8.1...
toonz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toonz »

make sure your Port COM 1,2,3 etc... is at 115200 baud... Windows when updates are made resets it at default to 9600 baud.... also your latency timer to 1... just like when you first do your install or set up....

hope this helps any...
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

Thanks for the replies.

What is wondering me is, even with my old laptop (XP) MS3X doesn't communicate with TS using the USB cable. Works fine with the RS 232 cable.

Maybe there is something wrong with the firmware or my MS3X.....
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

arnold1 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

What is wondering me is, even with my old laptop (XP) MS3X doesn't communicate with TS using the USB cable. Works fine with the RS 232 cable.

Maybe there is something wrong with the firmware or my MS3X.....
Interesting you bring this up, i have been dealing with a similar issue- the DB9 cable thru a usb adapter works flawless but intermittently i have an issue with the usb cable cable. sometimes i will need to shut down tuner studio, shut off the ecu and try over a couple times before its happily connected. what firware are you running?
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

What I found out so far is none of the notebooks work using an USB cable. The reason could be that my MS3X was built with modules which do not have the right ID's.

Vendor ID: 00000
Product ID: 0000\5&95C56DB&0&2
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sounds like the driver thinks it is a counterfeit USB chip. Is that a genuine MS3? Has it been repaired? Please post a photo.
I'd suggest arranging an RMA with your supplier.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

I think it's even worse than you think. Try reading this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270175.0
As far as I can see, there was an update from Windows which caused all ID's to be erased from most USB chips.
Some time later Windows corrected the update realizing what trouble the last update caused. All ID's were set to 00000.
The USB cable becomes useless
There is a chance to get this corrected but only people with the right knowledge can do this. I surely can't!!!

What makes me think that all is true what one can read in the link I posted above is, about a year or less ago my USB cable used to work using my laptop with XP and all of a sudden it just stopped working. I always thought it was an update from TS that caused this, but it seems it was a Windows update. From then on I only could use my RS 232 cable.

BTW, Jeff (prof315) sold me the MS3X V3.0 in March 2012 and guided me mostly thru the build.
Don't get me wrong, this is a great system and don't regret one moment of buying it... But I bought a new notebook with Win 8.1 and can't use it...........
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

There is a way to get the nuked chips to work, mentioned in the above link. You need to edit the .inf file to get the driver to load despite the changed ID.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If the USB port on your MS3 is no longer working, that means it has a counterfeit FTDI chip. If the chip has never been changed, that means there was a problem with the supply chain for that specific MS3 board. B&G only buy genuine chips but that's not always possible to know what you actually get even if you deal with reputable distributors and there is always the possibility of something happening during the assembly process.

So if your MS3 card has never been repaired, you need to contact the original vendor or B&G. I'm sure they would be interested in knowing that a bad chip found its way on an MS3.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

As was the problem with the fake capacitors a few years back, the fake batches came intermixed with genuine parts from reputable suppliers, not even the assembly houses knew what hit them. 99+% of the assemblers thought they were using the good stuff. All Diyautotune/B&G/whoever can do is change the part, I don't think they will gain any knowledge beyond that.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

subwoofer wrote:As was the problem with the fake capacitors a few years back, the fake batches came intermixed with genuine parts from reputable suppliers, not even the assembly houses knew what hit them. 99+% of the assemblers thought they were using the good stuff. All Diyautotune/B&G/whoever can do is change the part, I don't think they will gain any knowledge beyond that.
You might be right that there's not much to be learned but I'm sure arnold1 would be glad to get an exchange.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

Getting anyone to exchange the USB chip would be pretty difficult. I don't mean soldering, I mean getting the chip from Germany to the USA and back. The costs and time for shipping would be way higher than buying a good chip!!

Would anyone know the part # of this USB chip I would need. I surely could get it here in Germany.

Thanks so far
Arnold
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

BTW, Jeff (prof315) buys all his stuff from DIY Auto Tune as he told me. Don't get me wrong Jeff is a great guy and helped me alot.

Matt Cramer represents DIY doesn't he? Would like to know what he says about the FTDI chips being used in their MS3...

Just looked up Digi-Key to see what the FT232R would cost. Well the only sell FT232RL in many versions so I don't know what to look after.

Can anyone help me out...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Please be in touch with your supplier. If this really is a bogus chip that ended up on an MS3, I could likely handle the chip replacement here in the UK.

James

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

The MS3/3X in question was built using a standard V3.0 kit purchased from DIYAutotune 1st Quarter of 2012 so unless they had a run of MS3 daughterboards with bogus chips it _should_ be genuine.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
arnold1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold1 »

The complete MS3 was sent to a German Company and is to arrive today. They are going to exchange the chip and take a lot of pictures. I should have the info this evening and see what they say. If my chip is a counterfeit then what is with all the other boards sold through Jeff or DIYAutotune....

More tomorrow
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

arnold1 wrote: Matt Cramer represents DIY doesn't he? Would like to know what he says about the FTDI chips being used in their MS3...
We buy the MS3 daughter cards from Bowling & Grippo. I believe B&G source the parts themselves instead of having the contract manufacturer source them, but I am not sure what distributor they buy these through. (If they're like us, they probably have multiple go-to sources.)

For the MS3-Pro, we had been sourcing the FT323RLs through a reputable distributor who we believe buys them directly from FTDI. Not impossible that they ended up with someone returning a batch and slipping some fakes in, though.

Please let me know what they find about the chip. You can email us directly at websales@diyautotune.com.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X