idle air control...When?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Fueler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

idle air control...When?

Post by Fueler »

A bit of a general question.
What combination criteria or tuning issue determines when a Idle air control should be added?

Thanks
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: idle air control...When?

Post by muythaibxr »

You'll have to be more specific.

Do you mean when should you turn on the feature and use it? Or are you asking when the code turns on idle air control?

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Fueler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Fueler »

neither actually.
I will try again.
When purchasing parts for a new setup is there certain engine types and TB size/type that require IAC and other's that do not?
Looking for a rule of thumb I think.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

To perhaps overgeneralize a little, all engines require idle air control in one form or another.

It's possible, especially with smaller engines with few or no accessories, to create a setup that works okay with the idle completely fixed. Lawnmowers and such and some motorcycles are set up that way, but those engines usually aren't expected to idle properly until warmed up.

But even carbureted car engines have "idle air control"... typically in conjunction with the choke there's a cam that increases idle speed when the engine is cold. Then you have the challenges of keeping idle speed constant as load changes - A/C turns on and off, electric cooling fans cycle, and so on.

So IMHO 99% of the time on a car engine you're going to want some way of having the Megasquirt control idle speed. Obviously you have to start with the proper hardware, then for a simple setup you can use open-loop control. For tighter control at the expense of some tuning effort, use closed-loop.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

An IACV is usually the easiest way, but some have reported (reasonably good) success with a fixed idle screw and careful tuning of the idle advance and VE table down at the bottom.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I ran my Firebird L6 engine without an IAC valve for a while and used ignition timing based idle control. It worked reasonably well other than at times it struggled to stay running when extra cold. I've since added an IAC valve and cured the cold start, but the ignition timing control could swing the idle speed by a couple hundred rpm, which I basically took a warmed up engine and turned the throttle body adjustment screw to open the throttle while the MS3 backed timing off to maintain targeted idle speed (you have to temporarily set the TPS reaction to like 50% so it doesn't pull out of closed loop) until it couldn't, then I backed the screw out one turn and called it good. It high idled well enough cold but could still pull the rpm's down enough when warmed up.

Well, until I went to low elevation, then I had to back the screw out some more from the denser air to pull the idle down further, then wind it back in when I got home (6000 feet elevation change) hence I decided to add an IAC valve.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Fueler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Fueler »

Ok, I think I got a grip on it.
Is there a couple of different IAC that people like to use?
I see one on the net that looks like it has an air filter incorporated into it and an AN fitting hookup. Anyone know what that is?