High Speed Logger

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

High Speed Logger

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I've been looking at the high speed logger some and have several questions.

Why can I not plot crank degrees against injection timing and spark timing? I know there isn't a huge practical purpose, but it would be a nice visual way to see the sequence of MAP, Injection, Ignition. Instead of going back and forth between the high speed logger screen, looking up the injection timing number, and then plotting it on the screen versus the MAP. Ignition just because. I'm going to try and use excel to plot the crank and cam trigger signals against the MAP, Injection and Ignition to see if I can generate such a chart in Excel by some formulas adding up the tooth counts, etc.

Following up with that. I don't have the knock module, but am considering getting one and a "wide band" bosch sensor, and I was wondering if the sensor readings can also be displayed against crank degrees? Side questions, since I don't have a knock module and sensor to test, what format is the knock module data recorded into the datalogs? As simple 0's and 1's, or by analogue numeric value (intensity of engine sound)? I'm semi-curious to how much "internal sound" each cylinder makes to correlate to even or out of aligned power generation by each cylinder. If the knock sensor simply sends a hi/lo signal to the MS3 then this of course won't work.

Last question, there are a few variables that can be selected for the X, Y1, Y2 axis menu's (and is recorded on the left), that don't seem to ever have any data in my setup. Is there a break down list somewhere of what each item is? Example of items that I have no idea what they are: "isRPM", "Sensor", and "Not MAP".
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: High Speed Logger

Post by LT401Vette »

You should be able to plot any field in the log as X & Y.
However, it should be noted that for high speed logs the data is read and presented page by page in TunerStudio.

You can do a great deal more with it in MegaLogViewer.

In MLV a Scatter plot will let you plot any X, Y and Z of the entire log file to see how they relate.

Last question, there are a few variables that can be selected for the X, Y1, Y2 axis menu's (and is recorded on the left), that don't seem to ever have any data in my setup. Is there a break down list somewhere of what each item is? Example of items that I have no idea what they are: "isRPM", "Sensor", and "Not MAP".
The fields available in each high speed log are defined by the Firmware developers. Some like isRPM are there primarily to help separate out the data during file generation. So they don't have much meaning to the user viewing.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I would really like to use the scatter plot function of various inputs against crank degree's (x-axis), but I do not see an option to log crank degrees, in either Tuner Studio Logging Profile, or in the highspeed logger other than the MAP/MAF loggers. Is there an option and I am overlooking it?

A little background on what I am doing and looking at. Will it be meaningful? I don't know yet.
This is a chart I plotted up in Excel by blocking out just over 720º of crank rotation, though of course this data was collected by time and crank degrees were not an option in the high speed logger with the spark and injection timing, so there is a little fuzziness compared to the crank timing. Crank angle is only available against the MAP signal (MAP Logger), unless of course I am missing something again? I'm planning on making a similar chart with the map data and crank degree's and see if I can pick out the missing tooth or something to line up with the data in the chart below.

Then likewise, rather its a knock sensor or a different ADC sensor (like the MAP sensor is), I'd like to see about plotting it up against crank degrees (and spark output/cylinder number). A scatter plot of this data (or highspeed logging data) would be awesome.

This is the MAP Logger data plotted up in MegaLogViewer's scatter point viewer, and what I would like to see is being able to show Spark A output on it to reference which cylinder is pulling because if I'm not mistaking, the first low spot is actually the third cylinder of the firing order pulling its intake stroke, and not the first because at 0 crank angle #1 should be TDC and starting the power stroke, and #5 should be on the compression stroke, so #3 is on the intake stroke, aka the MAP low. Plotting up the injection timing would aid in this visulizing this, as well as confirm the spray at low loads/DC is at or just before peak vacuum (I have a feeling after seeing this I'm injecting fuel AFTER peak vacuum, and the fuel is sitting in the intake until the next intake stroke and possibly being robbed by an adjacent cylinder in the mean time). With that though, if I were to hook up a mic or knock sensor to record engine sound intensity, it could possibly pick up which cylinders are making more noise/power/pre-detonating versus others. Before I go out purchasing the knock module or some other sound input device/sensor (to connect to a 0-5v ADC input), I'm trying to see if I can view the data in a format that is useful, ie x-axis:Crank degrees, y-axis: Knock/sound intensity, z-axis:RPM. Other variables are interesting to look at as well, you never know what pattern you may see until it's plotted up.

"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

LT401Vette wrote: The fields available in each high speed log are defined by the Firmware developers. Some like isRPM are there primarily to help separate out the data during file generation. So they don't have much meaning to the user viewing.
Re-reading your post, does this mean the variables I would like to see in the highspeed logger are an MS3 question/request and not a TunerStudio question/request?

LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Re-reading your post, does this mean the variables I would like to see in the highspeed logger are an MS3 question/request and not a TunerStudio question/request?
Yep... TS and MLV can only display the field the firmware supports.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Thank you Phil, I'll start a new thread. :)