best linux to run ts

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: best linux to run ts

Post by weeblebiker »

nuvolarossa wrote:just for fun sake I tried it on a new ubuntu 14.04 lts 64bit partition...
same java version as yours, tried also sun java, just downloaded tunerstudio tar, extracted and launched... nothing more, all working fine... :mrgreen:

have you tried installing different java versions? maybe conflicting ones?
could you give us the output of this on ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config java
thank you.
I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be
how did you extract and launch exactly? I may be trying to do it the hard way.

I already have several tuning computers, this is going to be embedded. wireless keyboard is already embedded in the steering wheel with a display already mounted above the sunvisor.

ecu and display will be hardwired to the computer so no pairing issues and is set up to power and boot on power up.

will run the thread once I switch back to the box on my bench in the basement
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

this is what i've done :?
what do I need to use and what do I need to get rid of?

scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
[sudo] password for scirocco:
There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1071 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1071 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice
[*], or type selection number:
[/b]
and how do you do that code window thingy instead of my copy and paste then boldinng it so it doesnt look like my typing
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Recommended:
"code" is right next to "quote" in the tool bar over the edit box when you are writing a post.
Works like adding a link etc, click it, put the cusrsor in middle and hit paste.
Hit "reply with quote" and you can see how it's used.

It also allows easy copy/paste of shell commands/scripts.

This is a test...
It is ~trivial to build your own live USB.
... use a knoppix DVD and install it to USB using the provided utility,
.. or easiest create a multiboot using Rufus under Windows...
Under Linux you can partition a USB stick.

in knoppix and a few other distros you can easily create a "persistent" home dir that is loaded on boot.
All changes and settings get saved to the persistent area of the USB stick, as well as your files.
(you can "install" new software on a CD like this, if you boot from CD/DVD, data is saved on the usb)

Those loopback partitions/data won't be visible/accessable under Windows, tho.

I just fired up knoppix 7.42 like this with TS copied over, works fine.
You can also trivially "remaster" a Knoppix installation like this using the supplied utility.

http://www.knopper.net/index-en.html

You can install Knoppix to HDD but you probably shouldn't, as it is a very custom setup, a blend of various vintage Debian repos and non-packagd stuff not in repos, and custom scripts. Its not guaranteed to work if "updated"...

It probably will work tho, I ran like that for a long time, just be aware its not supported.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

wiped and reinstalled ubuntu.
used the java auto instal by typing java in terminal
downloaded ts by using all the default options to download and extract.
checked that the .sh file had the allow exacuting file was checked
double clicked the .sh file which is in home/scirocco/TunerStudioMS/<TunerStudio.sh>
and get this

#!/bin/sh

ARCH=$( uname -m )
KERNEL=$( uname -s )
SCRIPT=$0

while [ -h "$SCRIPT" ]; do
	SCRIPT=$( readlink "$SCRIPT" )
done

BASE_PATH="${SCRIPT%/*}"
LAST_PATH="$PWD"

if [ ! -e "$BASE_PATH/TunerStudio.properties" ]; then
	echo "This script must be located in the TunerStudio directory. To be able"
	echo "to launch without path create a symlink of this script to a directory in PATH."
	echo
	echo "Example: ln -s /home/john_doe/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh /usr/local/bin"
	exit 1
fi

if [ "$KERNEL" = "Darwin" ]; then
	SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/OSX/:"
elif [ "$KERNEL" = "Linux" ]; then
	if [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
		SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/x86_64-linux:"
	fi
fi

cd "$BASE_PATH" && java -Djava.library.path=${SERIAL_DRIVER}lib -cp ".:lib:plugins" -jar TunerStudioMS.jar
RESULT=$?
what step did I not do?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You are breaking it by doing something unecessary.

There is absolutely no reason to not use the default java install. I have tried it. It works fine.
So does openjvm 8 series.

Java7+ from Oracle IS Openjvm code, binaries perhaps just run through the Intel compiler vs. gcc.

Try again and just try it, or try Mageia 4.1 DVD install. It also included Openjvm by default, as it is used by many system tools.
(might even want to give Mageia 5 a roll, but it is still beta, but getting close to RC, and has very good feedback. Try the KDE version)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

so current ubuntu does not need java installed?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

weeblebiker wrote:so current ubuntu does not need java installed?

It should have openjvm or open jre installed or installable from the official repos.
OpenJVM IS Java.
OpenJVM is the reference implementation of Java as of v7.
Even Oracle uses it, they just call it "Java".

Boot up the live DVD and type java --version on the command line.
If you don't get a reply, apt install openjvm (you can even do this on the live DVD assuming you have sufficient memory)

(I don't have a stick with Ubuntu on it at the moment, I'm finishing up a Mageia 5 beta3 install, looks very nice)
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

reloaded ubunto
opening TunerStudioMS_v2.6.14.tar.gz wirh Archive Manager (default)
a popup window appears called TunerStudioMS_v2.6.14.tar.gz
right click on the TunerStudioMNS folder and click extract
extract it to the home folder
Isee a TunerStudioMS folfer in the home folder
in terminal: sudo adduser scirocco dialout
checked the .sh file has allow executing files as program selected

double click the .sh file and get the same d*** thing I have gotten from the beginning: the gedit screen

#!/bin/sh

ARCH=$( uname -m )
KERNEL=$( uname -s )
SCRIPT=$0

while [ -h "$SCRIPT" ]; do
	SCRIPT=$( readlink "$SCRIPT" )
done

BASE_PATH="${SCRIPT%/*}"
LAST_PATH="$PWD"

if [ ! -e "$BASE_PATH/TunerStudio.properties" ]; then
	echo "This script must be located in the TunerStudio directory. To be able"
	echo "to launch without path create a symlink of this script to a directory in PATH."
	echo
	echo "Example: ln -s /home/john_doe/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh /usr/local/bin"
	exit 1
fi

if [ "$KERNEL" = "Darwin" ]; then
	SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/OSX/:"
elif [ "$KERNEL" = "Linux" ]; then
	if [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
		SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/x86_64-linux:"
	fi
fi

cd "$BASE_PATH" && java -Djava.library.path=${SERIAL_DRIVER}lib -cp ".:lib:plugins" -jar TunerStudioMS.jar
RESULT=$?

if [ -d "$LAST_PATH" ]; then
	cd "$LAST_PATH"
fi

exit $RESULT
the freaking .sh file IS in the TunerStudioMS directory so should be able
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

wipe that out and restart from scratch (just to be sure, until you'll know how to delete java versions etc):

THIS IS THE BARE ESSENTIAL FOR A NEWBIE, TO HAVE TUNERSTUDIO AND MLV IN UBUNTU 14.04.2 LTS.
(I mean you could use different java version or the oracle one too, use jdk and other things, but you'll learn about that later if you really need it.)

I did this using Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS disk (as today is latest lts available)
  • install ubuntu (configure network etc)
  • in terminal, install updates with these commands

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
  • install java with

sudo apt-get install default-jre
    answer yes when asked and it'll start downloading and installing
  • download TunerStudio from http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/downloads . Extract it to a folder
  • In file manager, set executable files behaviour as RUN or ASK (discussed below), default is view as text file so it will not allow to execute the script.
    they changed the behaviour of executable files in the file manager since ubuntu 14.04, they put as default "view as text files even if executable". :roll: :?
    User can change this by doing:
    File Manager > Edit (in the top menu) > Preferences > Behaviour for Executable Text Files.
    In Ubuntu 14.04 it is set to View Executable Files when they are opened, you better choose "Ask each time" or even "run executable text files when they are opened" if you trust all your executable files.
    This will solve the "double click issue" that was opening scripts with gedit instead of executing them.
  • also check in file manager, right-click on TunerStudio.sh, properties, permissions tab, "allow executing file as program" must be checked.
  • double click TunerStudio.sh, done.
If you still have some problems, launch tunerstudio via terminal.
open terminal, use "cd" command to navigate to TS folder, then

./TunerStudio.sh
Running it in terminal will show all the debug messages.
  • For megalogviewer, you already installed the requirements with the procedure above, just download, extract and double click the .sh file.
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

Thank you very much!!!!!!!
In file manager, set executable files behaviour as RUN or ASK (discussed below), default is view as text file so it will not allow to execute the script.
they changed the behaviour of executable files in the file manager since ubuntu 14.04, they put as default "view as text files even if executable". :roll: :?
User can change this by doing:
File Manager > Edit (in the top menu) > Preferences > Behaviour for Executable Text Files.
In Ubuntu 14.04 it is set to View Executable Files when they are opened, you better choose "Ask each time" or even "run executable text files when they are opened" if you trust all your executable files.

This will solve the "double click issue" that was opening scripts with gedit instead of executing them.
this makes allot of sense for what I've been experiencing I really did search many times on launching .sh files in ubuntu and never came across this.

I have been beating myself up quite a bit over this.
this has been a real learning experience, I just would like all the bits i learned to be able to be stringed together into something that functions.
i think once I get ts installed and communicating with the ecu I'll look at another flavor of linux. me suspects ubuntu has become too idiot proof and bloated for what I really want to do. the fact that I had to search for the terminal and bring out a symlink to it instead of it being already on the menu should have been a big red flag to look for another flavor. something light weight maybe a debian version or arch.

will post up at tonight when I give it a try.

this was/ is my first inroads into doing some basic programming for hardware control, leading into arduino/ raspberry pi type hardware for hardware control with a embedded user interface
to be beat down by an idiot proofing flag setting is just annoying
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

success!
just for grins I reloaded ubuntu and installed the way i did the first time adding that stupid idiot flag set and it worked
:yeah!: i'm not a moron! just took 3 weeks.
side note ubuntu takes for ever to to load and start ts with this AMD E-450 APU dual core processor and 4gb ram and hdd drive the total package is now 8 gb
im used to ssd drives

going to try a lighter version try to get well under 8 gb maybe under 4gb if ach linux will do it and then get a little sata3 ssd drive for this box

and i will post and maintain a thread on it.

btw i don't think much of ubuntu. seems like they are trying to push software down loading through their software center.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

linux mint mate edition is quick for me( would suggest xfce), puppy linux is down right fast on my netbook, i have ssd's so that may be a contributor.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

ssd is a huge contributor to speed on windows anyway
I looked into puppy a little. arch has both intel sisc and arm risc versions including a rasberry pi 2 release. thats why I'm leaning towards arch.

my daily is a single core atom netbook running windows 7 2 gb ram and ssd and it pretty darn ok speed wise..
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

yeah they are pushing ads and amazon products in ubuntu... u can remove/disable all of that ****.
If you think that windows 7 on a single atom is fast enough, then arch will fly.
lol I boot ubuntu under 15 sec and it's quite bloated with apps and startup services... ssd, i7 quad core etc
that's why I still run the lts as daily driven if pc is powerful enough. (but I have arch and windows in other partitions too).
I agree that on slower cpus and hdd ubuntu is no go. Better using lighter DE like LXDE or Xfce and start removing unneeded services and bloat.
You can have much lighter system while looking equally good if you know how.

First try the default os on raspy2 and make it run on it, it could be enough for you and could be a needed step.
Then make another sd card for Arch . It will be much faster if you build it light. You'll learn linux faster and the hard way (it could be harder on gentoo :lol: ) .
Arch documentation is best one ever.
I have a very old single core non pae Pentium M 1 GHz ulv laptop, running arch and very very slow HDD. It fully boots at around 40 seconds using full lxde,can watch youtube, browse on latest firefox etc like it's a newer pc.
For comparison a fresh win xp loaded with same tools booted on it over 2.5minutes!

Also the raspberry images are prebuilt, so you don't start really from zero, card is already partitioned and arch alredy installed.
you still gets only command line interface so make sure to have the wiki and docs handy and know what to install, what is light and what not etc

Be careful about what you do or you'll broke it quite frequently :RTFM: It's considered bleeding edge.

This will be your new home https://wiki.archlinux.org/
This is an usual arch installation procedure on x86/x64 pc, just to get the command line, then you still have to go through the links at the end of the page, create users/permissions, install de/wm/apps etc : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide

Arch compared to other distros: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar ... tributions

Arch linux for raspy2 is here: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... berry-pi-2
install then follow the regular arch wiki.

Also, be SUPER careful at disc names (sdx) when formatting discs or when using dd or when chrooting, you must be really sure you don't target your host disk or partition :mrgreen:
You'll need quite a bit of spare time and lots of googling to grasp all of it, if you don't have previous linux experiences.

I have a raspberry1 b+, may try arch on it. Never tried on raspberrys, always on pc.
I see guys tried it with raspbian, I'd like to try tunerstudio without desktop environment, just with openbox or similar, before buying the new raspy.
Will report about this.

BTW raspberry2 boots 5 seconds faster than v1 already before the arch login prompt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOqOC6URk0
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

SolydXK works pretty well if you are looking for a Debian flavor.
Both the KDE(K) and LXDE (X) desktops are well integrated/configured.
(I ran Debian for years untill they dropped my email program ...due to internal politics shennanigans... for many months... I moved on)

Mint is like Ubuntu with most of the stupid cleaned off. I looked at arch, but don't have time to play with it forever to get an install or maintain it... Too Gentoo flavored for daily use IMHO, although the wiki docs are extremely good...

SolydK or Mageia boot fully to idle CPU ~20 seconds from secondary HDD in my 6 year old Lenovo X300, 1.2 GHz ULV core2.
The 3 year old Samsung SSD I use to allow Windows 8.1 to not suck so viciously loading doesn't seem to help Linux loading speed much, I suspect its CPU or bus bound. (8GB DDR2 RAM, 256G SSD, 500GB SSHD in media bay in place of the 7mm hieght DVD or second battery)
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

piledriver wrote: my 6 year old Lenovo X300, 1.2 GHz ULV core2.
raspberry 1 is MUCH much slower than that!

LOL HOLD ON ON ARCH. :mrgreen:
I have it running on the raspberry b+, tunerstudio works after swapping the rxtx driver, but I need to :RTFM:
With lxde is painfully slow. With only openbox it's a bit faster. Still too slow for my taste.

But could be my fault as before I found I needed to swap rxtx driver, I tweaked too many things as it wasn't working. I need to find the fastest configuration and need to double check if I haven't f****d with the gpu settings.
Also ms3 projects are quite heavy to load!

TS Processor score 399 :shock:

Before going deeper I should try it on raspbian to have a reference.
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

TS Processor score 399
Geez, that is way bad.

There are CPU's cracking 1 million on that these days!
Most modern phones are getting 5,000-40,000
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

well, I just tried Raspbian (Raspberry 1 B+) and Tunerstudio says Processor Score 949.
A little better. Nothing compared to my 1,000,000+ of my laptop... :roll:

At least I'm sure I messed up something on arch, but it's still slow as hell on raspbian, expecially loading ms3 projects!
Still not sure that raspberry 2 will be enough for the full Tunerstudio, i mean full not only gauges and stripped inis.
What about autotune on it? lol
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

Thanks again nuvolarossa for pointing out that stupid flag

I live on the bleeding edge so, that doesn't scare me.
I probably underestimated myself in selecting ubuntu because it was supposed to be a intro linux os and I haven't done anything linux before. but do know my way around file trees, dos prompts, access db building and process research.

I have high hopes for pi 2 with the hardware specs, but will hold off a bit to see what people find that already have pi2 in hand before ordering something I wont get for a month or two.
ultimate project will be more arduino ish anyway as the hardware I/O control speed will be more inportant that user interface speed. so from here I plan on going arm in some form.
cars are a great learning toy, its way easier to learn when you have an end goal established.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

loaded mint with xcfe
java was already functional without any bs.
this was super easy, no bs flag preventing .sh files from working.
terminal was right there on the task bar along the bottom of the screen.
had ts up and running in like 5 minutes after launching firefox
a create symlink option was right there on the right click menu in fact everything one would likely want to do is in the right click menu.

playing around and everything was where I suspect it would be. tried some things like pinning ts to startup and found it right away without researching instructions. VERY INTUITIVE

mint is what I thought ubuntu was supposed to be.

ubuntu sucks balls

I figure I'll probably keep the hdd in there for multimedia files with a ssd for the os and ts boot. use the computer for other stuff besides just ts also.

I'll see how fast I can get booted, maybe look into the power options menu and see how low a current draw I can get with hybrinating and go that route