best linux to run ts

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

best linux to run ts

Post by weeblebiker »

edit: don't bother with ubuntu, it's locked down worse than windows. try linux mint xcfe
origenal thread start.
so
I'm trying to get ts running on ubuntu, and am getting no where. I'm totally lost in ubuntu, I downloaded ts and jre but can't get anything to happen.

the how to's are dated and the screens for ts/jre and ubuntu I see on my screen are totally different from the videos and screenshots in the how to's.

my main goal is simply getting this mini itx box I have to power up and launch ts and mega log viewer, I really don't even need/want a desktop, just want it to boot and launch fast.

which linux would be best?
there are 4 jre available for linux , which one do I download?

what is the step by step I need to do to get this going?
not exactly keystroke by keystroke, but make sure you do these things in this order, and a little more detailed than "download the program and run the .sh file"
any links to helpful current downloading and installation procedures would be apreciated

edit
even better
an updated step by step
Last edited by weeblebiker on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: best linux to run ts

Post by ashford »

i have been using linuxmint successfully.

if you look had enough about 4 years ago someone made a .deb installer that installs it creates all symlinks puts it where it needs to and makes shortcuts on desktop and start menu. just need to let it update itself and then it is current
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

this thingy?
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 22&t=46000
sorry but being a complete noob, i don't know what a .deb installer is and don't know which "it" your referring to which creates something called a "symlink" that I don't know what is,
seems like linux and windows use completely different nomenclature for the same processes
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Any linux should be able to run it.

The details of how to get it up and running will vary depending on distro, but I've successfully had it running on Ubuntu and Mint (Mint uses Ubuntu's packages anyway).

I usually just download the tarball, install OpenJDK 1.7.

Then I untar the tarball to a directory of my choosing. Change to that directory and type "TunerStudio.sh" and it runs.

IIRC there is also an rxtx library that I copy into place but I don't remember the details so I'd have to look on my linux box at home to get the exact details.

It shouldn't be that difficult though, it usually takes a couple minutes to get it running, and a large part of that is waiting for it to download, and finding my key.

I do a large part of my firmware development in linux as well (what I don't do in linux I do on my Mac).

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

not the one i was thinking of but it should work.

im a linux noob as well but i can trudge my way around it.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

thanks I think I'm getting it with google'ing every linux term as I go
now I have to look up tarball :RTFM:

is the link I posted the correct thingy?
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

hmm tarballs seem like a sticky mess, I'll try the deb file first

once I download and launch the deb package, how do I "just let it update itself"
I thought there was some place one has to grant rights to the software or something I assume its like the administrator privileges in windows.

do most of the linux versions use the same user interface rational throughout? once a get my feet wet with ubuntu or mint, maybe debian I'd like to get set up the smallest fastest boot linux
(maybe something like something like crunchbang?) and use a small ssd drive
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

the ubuntu installer in the linked post is busted. guy that created it hasnt been on in over a year
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

:D
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

If you have registered TunerStudio, try the jssc driver, under "wireless and USB".

Give Mageia 4.1 a try, the only thing I had to do was add the user to the "lock" group to allow serial port access.
(you need to do same on most current distributions)
Mageia has nice gui admin tools for all common tasks, and openjre is part of the std distro.

Its rpm based, but urpmi and friends is at least the equal of apt.(package management tools)
The days of rpm dependency hell went away about 10 years ago.

If coming from Windows, you probably want to use the KDE desktop version unless its a very underpowered 512M netbook.
I have run TS from the live cd, putting ts etc on the second partition the dvd install creates.
There also at least used to be a way to set up a live usb with persistence.

Mageia has yet to require cpus with PAE as certain other distros seem to demand(for no good reason IMHO)
Also includes grub as the boot loader, can be installed reliably on the root partition and called from grub or most other boot loaders.if you want a multi-boot setup,

Disclaimer//warning:
My year of "Liniux on the Desktop" was 1994, on my Amiga 3000.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

can some one please help me?
all i want is to run ts and mlv on this compaq cq2010 dual core atom mini itx (pegatron apxd1-dm motherboard) box, nothing else it will be embeded in the car once up and running. I understand most get involved with linux from a programming background, I just want thhis thing to go and be small enough to ditch the hdd drive for a small ssd or a class 10 usb stick. ubuntu was a wild ass pick. i can just as easily load smething else but hate to have to buy a windows os just to run ts.

i suspect i'm not a narcisistic dimmwit, but just getting tunerstudio to launch in ubuntu 14.04LTS is kicking my ass.

i think i have the correct java loaded, in termiinal I get this:

scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_75"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode

just clicking on tunerstudio.sh, i get
#!/bin/sh

ARCH=$( uname -m )
KERNEL=$( uname -s )
SCRIPT=$0

while [ -h "$SCRIPT" ]; do
SCRIPT=$( readlink "$SCRIPT" )
done

BASE_PATH="${SCRIPT%/*}"
LAST_PATH="$PWD"

if [ ! -e "$BASE_PATH/TunerStudio.properties" ]; then
echo "This script must be located in the TunerStudio directory. To be able"
echo "to launch without path create a symlink of this script to a directory in PATH."
echo
echo "Example: ln -s /home/john_doe/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh /usr/local/bin"
exit 1
fi

if [ "$KERNEL" = "Darwin" ]; then
SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/OSX/:"
elif [ "$KERNEL" = "Linux" ]; then
if [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
SERIAL_DRIVER="lib/alternateLinuxDrivers/x86_64-linux:"
fi
fi

cd "$BASE_PATH" && java -Djava.library.path=${SERIAL_DRIVER}lib -cp ".:lib:plugins" -jar TunerStudioMS.jar
RESULT=$?

if [ -d "$LAST_PATH" ]; then
cd "$LAST_PATH"
fi

exit $RESULT

when i try to launch tunerstudio in termiinal i get this

scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$ sudo /home/scirocco/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh
[sudo] password for scirocco:
Jar Name:TunerStudioMS.jar
Registration file not found.
2/21/15 10:13:22 AM :Debug: Unable to load user properties, looking in:
/home/scirocco/TunerStudioMS/.
scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$

what am i not doing right?
i want this tool to work
Last edited by weeblebiker on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

Not all involved in linux have a programming background :D

Java seems ok.

I guess you have to mark the file as executable. (tunerstudio.sh)

You can do it 2 ways in ubuntu/linux, graphical interface or command line (terminal).

- Graphical:
right click on tunerstudio.sh, permissions tab, check make executable.
Then with double click it should run.

- or terminal
go to tunerstudio folder using "cd" like you would do in windows, then
"chmod +x TunerStudio.sh"

If it tells you file doesn't exist, check that you wrote correctly upper and lower case letters, linux is finicky about that.

Also no need to run it as superuser(sudo) when using terminal.
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

the .sh files executable box was checked before posting
dropping the sudo I get this
scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$ /home/scirocco/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh
2/21/15 12:26:57 PM :Debug: Unable to load user properties, looking in:

what is this registration file the .sh is looking for??
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

weeblebiker wrote:the .sh files executable box was checked before posting
dropping the sudo I get this
scirocco@scirocco-CQ2010:~$ /home/scirocco/TunerStudioMS/TunerStudio.sh
2/21/15 12:26:57 PM :Debug: Unable to load user properties, looking in:
There are no errors shown there.
Perhaps look for appdebug.txt in the tunerstudioprojects dir (in your home dir)

If you have registered TS and use the jssc driver, user doesn't even need to be member of lock group, driver is written properly.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

i did registered my windows version on my netbook. do I need to buy a linux version for this box also or will the same product key work.

or you talking about some linux lingo registering?

I googled jssc driver I found a download in "the central repository" at http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|jssc
there a 4 downloads listed.

is this what you are talking about when you say jssc driver? if so what am I downloading from there?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

weeblebiker wrote:i did registered my windows version on my netbook. do I need to buy a linux version for this box also or will the same product key work.

or you talking about some linux lingo registering?

I googled jssc driver I found a download in "the central repository" at http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|jssc
there a 4 downloads listed.

is this what you are talking about when you say jssc driver? if so what am I downloading from there?
Same registration works on 3 devices, but you will get prompted to register online first time it runs.

You don't need to do anything to use jssc driver, built into TS, and will be selectable under "wireless and usb" in comm settings once registration takes.

If course you need to get it working to register it.

Do Try Mageia unless you are used to//in love with Ubuntu-based stuff, Mint and SolydXK are good Debian or Ubuntu derivatives with most of the brain damage trimmed out... It will take longer to download than install, esp if you install from the 32bit live cd version.
(There's nothing on the DVD you can't install later, get the 4.1 version)

Mageia does KDE defaults better than any other distro IMHO.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

just tried loading puppytune and all I get is a repeating "Invalid or corrupt kernel image." under the puppy logo when try to boot from the flash drive I made.

dude hasn't been on the volvo forum since November last year left an im anyway

too bad it looked like exactly what I was looking for. he even had setup videos that were pretty good, I just think t software versions needed updating

mageia is next I suppose if that is an os

it'd be great to find a lightweight os with ts and mlv bundled into a single install,,,,that was updated occasionally.
thinking on raspberry pi 2 it'd make an almost plug and play user interface
I guess I'l do it if I have to,,, :?
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

weeblebiker wrote:can some one please help me?
all i want is to run ts and mlv on this compaq cq2010 dual core atom mini itx (pegatron apxd1-dm motherboard) box, nothing else it will be embeded in the car once up and running. I understand most get involved with linux from a programming background, I just want thhis thing to go and be small enough to ditch the hdd drive for a small ssd or a class 10 usb stick. ubuntu was a wild ass pick. i can just as easily load smething else but hate to have to buy a windows os just to run ts.
Windows tablet computers can now be had for less than $100. This includes Windows 8.1, because Microsoft is giving away Windows for free.
http://www.howtogeek.com/195934/what-ex ... -use-bing/

One of my TS computers is an Asus Transformer T100.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Microcenter has a nice 8" Windows 8.1 "with Bing" tablet that was selling for $99 until yesterday, back to $159 now.
Quad core Bay Trail Atom, 2G mem, 32G flash. Nice bright IPS ~1280x800 screen, Bluetooth etc.
Also has real full size USB3 port+ micro USB2.

They also have a $59 version but with only 1GB ram and 16GB flash--- I'd be surprised if there was room to install Java and TS.
Still has the nice screen, a rootable Android version of any of these (supporting all the hardware) would absolutely rock.

Once can make a USB restore, then kill>add on the drive restore partition space to have reasonable storage space on the 32g version.
(also takes up to 64GB sdcards for a D:\ drive) Expect to have to fix the win boot setup after deleting the restore partition.

I bought my better half the 10" version, matching decent keyboard/trackpad case and a capacitive stylus for her birthday...
Same specs other than screen size and the docking (wired) keyboard.
Works peachy if you like Windows. (I suspect she'd be far better off with Android on it)

I have not managed to get Linux/Android perfect on it yet or I'd have one, I want the BT to work, and the driver for the oddball BT/Wifi/radio chip only works kinda for Wifi so far, also has an oddball Goodix touchscreen but folks have found a working driver for that.
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

just for fun sake I tried it on a new ubuntu 14.04 lts 64bit partition...
same java version as yours, tried also sun java, just downloaded tunerstudio tar, extracted and launched... nothing more, all working fine... :mrgreen:

have you tried installing different java versions? maybe conflicting ones?
could you give us the output of this on ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28