New laptop - Cannot connect Bluetooth

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

New laptop - Cannot connect Bluetooth

Post by MS Spider »

Hi All,

Not sure what happened. Been running MS for a few years with success. Previous tuning was with an old IBM ThinkPad T42 and an EFI Analytic Bluetooth Dongle. All went well.

Just bought an HP Pavilion and cannot connect!!!

I tried to search for this and did not find anything. Wrong search terms?

When trying to connect to MS with the Bluetooth dongle and.....

The error message is:
Found Firmware: Serial problem - Receive txmode - driver or computer software problem
Serial Signature: 3
On:RXTX: Port:COM#, Baud:9600
TS freezes if I try to cancel the Bluetooth detection process and I can do to close TS is with the Task Manager.

I have tried to change baud rate, update the driver, and reload TS.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jordan
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New laptop - Cannot connect Bluetooth

Post by LT401Vette »

Is it literally saying:

What port is COM#?

Is it an MS1? What firmware?

Do you know the com port number of the outgoing BT virtual com port?
Are you setting the port and baud and connecting or doing a detect?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

Hi Phill,
Is it literally saying:
No, it actually says RXTX: Port:COM3, Baud:9600
Is it an MS1? What firmware?
MS2Extra
Do you know the com port number of the outgoing BT virtual com port?
No, how do I check this? Can I see this on my old tuning computer?
Are you setting the port and baud and connecting or doing a detect?
I have tried both.
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

Just read this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 22&t=57670 and am wondering if we have similar issues.

My HP laptop has a touch screen and runs both a traditional OS as well as the mobile OS.

Could the mobile OS be making the connection to the BT and then not allowing the desk top OS to access the MS unit as the BT believes it is already connected?

Is this possible? If so, anyone have any thoughts on how to test or confirm?
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

Minor update.

Tried to use my old tuning computer the other night and had a bit of a time connecting.

Initially the old computer did not see the BT at all. I opened the new computer and "forgot" the BT connection and restarted both MS and the old laptop. After several attempts the old machine identified and connected to the MS via BT. All went well and I had my first play with the auto tune on warm up. Very cool!

So.... The new laptop appears to be able to make a connection to MS via BT that is stable enough to not allow other machines to make a connection.

I am not sure where that puts me. Any suggestions on what to check next?
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

I have read your posts but I am not sure what the last issue is because it sounds like you got the adapter to connect with the old laptop and the new one in the end? When you are using Bluetooth, only one device can connect to the ECU at a time so that sounds right unless I am misunderstanding you?

Brian H
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

HI Brian,

Thanks for reading.

The issue is that I can get the laptop to connect to the BT but I cannot get Tuner Studio to connect to the BT.

I will try again this evening and post my results.
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

So, same issue. My machine has a solid connection the the EFI BT dongle but TS cannot use the connection.

I will explore com port settings in Windows 8.1 and see if I can get somewhere.

Does TS only use Com3 and Com4 or will it detect any open port?
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

Ok, latest is:

Incoming port3
Outgoing port4

Ports working properly according to windows

When I try to detect the ports through Communications-Settings-Detect The testing procedure takes up to 5 minutes. If I cancel the test before it is complete TS will sometimes crash and I have to use the task manager to close it.

If I wait and allow the detect process to complete, I receive a message stating:

No Controller found.
Check your connections and be sure you have com port drivers installed.
Consult your serial cable provider for the correct drivers.

So.... does windows 8.1 require a special port driver to work with the EFI BT dongle?

Cheers,

Jordan
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

So.... does windows 8.1 require a special port driver to work with the EFI BT dongle?
Nope.
Outgoing port4
What if you just select Port 4 and click Accept?

Because Bluetooth Ports take so long to open, they sometimes timeout in Detect but work fine if you just use them.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

What if you just select Port 4 and click Accept?
If I select Com4 and accept, the dash lights up as if it is connected but I am not reading anything (all gauges read "0")

If I select Com4 and "test port" the test fails.

If I select Com3 and "test port" the progress wheel spins until I get bored and then TS freezes when I Cancel.

OK! I think we have a winner!

Manual project set up. Manual Com4 set up (no test) and it appears to be connected.

Yep! Just fired!

Thanks Phil!
allenreed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by allenreed »

Hello,

I just purchased a windows tablet. I have tried this with android devices with no success so my motor builder recommended I get a windows tablet. Using windows it would be easier to get it setup. I am having the same issue. This has been so frustrating I have been trying to get this up and running for weeks now. I thought this would be easy but it looks like I did not need a windows tablet. Could something be wrong with my blue tooth controller?
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

On the screen you show in your screen shot you should click 'accept'. That is what did it for me. (Well that and manually creating a new MS project!)

Also, makes sure that any device you have previously connected via Bluetooth has the Bluetooth disabled and the MS power cycled. For exsmple, if you had previously tried to connect with your Android phone that is still in your pocket, you should turn off the Bluetooth on the phone and power cycle the MS. This may be impacting your ability to connect.
allenreed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by allenreed »

Grrrrrrr unfortunately that did not work as well. Could it be the bluetooth? I am at a loss on what to do next as everything I have tried has failed.
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

So... I feel your pain and will try to help although I think it is fair warning to say that I have a limited understanding if this. I learn enough to solve the issue in front of me and move on.

With that out of the way. Some more thoughts.

1. First things first. Can you see the EFI Bluetooth dongle in the Bluetooth menu on your tablet? If not, solve this now. Check power and set up of dongle and Bluetooth settings on your tablet. The dongle and tablet need to be paired before anything else happens.

2. How did you get the project on to the new tablet? Did you load a saved copy? Try to detect? Or manually set up a new project from the menu? As I stated, I feel this was an important step in getting mine to connect. My computer would only connect AFTER I manually created a new project on the new computer and THEN tried to connect by clicking 'accept' on the screen shown.

3. Other devices may be interfering with the Bluetooth connection. Your started that you have tried to connect with Androids in the past. Are any of these devices active? (My phone had an MS app and will interfere with my computer connection if the Bluetooth on the phone is turned on) check that all other devices are not powred up and causing issues.

Let us know what happens. I will be getting a Windows tablet this fall for an in dash set up so I am interested in how you make out.
allenreed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by allenreed »

So finally at last we were able to connect the windows tablet to the blue tooth. We were out at the track Saturday and we physically connected the tablet it worked fine. I then disconnected applied the right comm port setting hit accept and it came online. Step 1 in your advice helped. Thank you everyone for their advice. Been a long time coming but it now works.
MS Spider
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MS Spider »

Glad it worked.

Thanks for the update.

Enjoy your car!