Prevent a gauge from going negative

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Prevent a gauge from going negative

Post by aw113sgte »

I have a boost gauge, 0-12psi, when in vacuum the gauge rotates past zero. The needle ends up on 11PSI. Any way to set a gauge limit to prevent this rotation?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Prevent a gauge from going negative

Post by Laminar »

One of TunerStudio's standard options is a "Vac/Boost" gauge that's ranged from -30 to 30 by default. Is there a reason you don't want to see vacuum? Would switching the gauge type to a basic readout or bar gauge work?
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Laminar wrote:One of TunerStudio's standard options is a "Vac/Boost" gauge that's ranged from -30 to 30 by default. Is there a reason you don't want to see vacuum? Would switching the gauge type to a basic readout or bar gauge work?
Since I'm using shadowdash on a small screen, on a motorcycle, I'm trying to make the gauge as easy to read quickly as I can. Bar graph could work but I'd prefer circular as it's quicker to read at a glance.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i second that it would be nice to be able to select a min gauge reading and to limit the travel to that
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

In the next release the gauges have pegs. When at the peg, the needle shakes to indicate it wants to go further.

In 2.6 what you can do is create a new OutputChannel that limits the value to positive.
i.e.:

Code: Select all

[OutputChannels]

positiveBoost = { boost >= 0 ? boost : 0 }, "psi"

This assumes the OutputChannel you are currently using is named boost.

Then assign your gauge to that channel instead.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Nifty. I wasn't sure if it was just my settings or if they all kind of did that. I kind of got around it by hiding the worse offender (AFR) under another gauge so the needle just disappears when above 18.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

LT401Vette wrote:In the next release the gauges have pegs. When at the peg, the needle shakes to indicate it wants to go further.

In 2.6 what you can do is create a new OutputChannel that limits the value to positive.
i.e.:

Code: Select all

[OutputChannels]

positiveBoost = { boost >= 0 ? boost : 0 }, "psi"

This assumes the OutputChannel you are currently using is named boost.

Then assign your gauge to that channel instead.
I looked in the dashboard and it's using boostvac, not "boost", I searched the maincontroller.cfg and saw boostvac and boostpsig, but not "boost". I'm guessing boostvac will work or should I use boostpsig in my custom.ini?
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

I checked the .ini file and it looks like either of those two outputChannels would work so go ahead and try the boostvac outputChannel
and see if that does what you want.
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Woo hoo, that worked! I used boostvac.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

used this for a temp gauge to mimic a dashboard gauge works great cheers.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????