Burn to MS3 with two feature using same pin crashes MS3

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

CRF_MS
MS/Extra Newbie

Burn to MS3 with two feature using same pin crashes MS3

Post by CRF_MS »

TunerStudio v2.6.14 Lite or TunerStudio MS v2.6.19 (I upgraded around the time this problem happen)

MS3/MS3X v3.57
Features problem, Fan control and Alternator Control
Output pin - Nitrous 1

Developing system for a 1999 Protege 1.8L which I'm unable to find any basemaps for, so I have been using someone else 1999 Miata MS3 basemap as my starting point, and since I didn't develop the Miata basemaps, I didn't know what output pins were being used. I need to change the Output control of the fan from Nitrous 2 to Nitrous 1, but I didn't know at the time that Nitrous 1 was already being used by Alternator Control. Every time I did the "Burn", I would get an flash CRC error, the lights on my Jimstim would go crazy, and communications with MS3 would go down. No matter what I tried, I could only get the MS3 back by rebooting the firmware (thankfully, I figured that out pretty quickly). After having this happen several times, I figured out that I had two features trying to use the same output pin and once I disabled both, before setting one, I was OK.

The best solution would be to have TunerStudio disable (grey out) output pins that are already in use when you go to assign a pin to a feature, but that might require a lot of changes to TunerStudio. A simpler solution would be to change the "Burn" button to check to see if two different features try to use the same output pin, and it could then generate a error message telling the user which features are in conflict, and then STOP the burn.