CAN bus (Mshift passthrough problems)

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

CAN bus (Mshift passthrough problems)

Post by blueblazer »

Trying to get the CAN bus to operate properly. I keep getting weird wrong firmware errors when I think everything is right. Running ms3x with 1.3.4 firmware and megashift with 5101. I have both set to CAN_COMMANDS activated. I try to add a CAN device to the ms3x and select the gpio_mshift_5101.ini as the config file. Soon as I do click "ok" the system brings up an error of firmware not matching. If i tell it to work offline i can select between what looks like megashift and ms3x but if i try and force it through even with errors everything goes to hell.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong?
Andy
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: CAN bus

Post by jsmcortina »

I don't quite follow what you did, any chance you could upload a screenshot (ALT-PrtScn, then paste into paint) of the CAN setting page and any error message popups you get?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

This is the error I get. I get this when I am connected to my MS3x, when I go to Project Properties < CAN Devices. I add a CAN Device, my megashift on GPIO board. The device configuration file I choose is the file GPIO_MShift_5101.ini as that is the firmware I loaded onto the megashift. Once I click "ok" the system reboots and the error message comes up.

Telling it to connect anyway causes havoc. Corrupts my MS3x file and I have to load the tune from before to get my engine to run again.

If say "no" and I go back into the PP < CAN D and delete the added device, the system reboots again and the MS3x runs the engine again just fine and dandy.
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Are you inputting the correct CAN ID for the mshift? If you leave it at 0 (which is wrong), that's the type of error you'll get.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

I have tried both 0 and 1 with no difference in errors. I have tried going into the megashift and changing it though if what I read is right, it ignores me unless I go directly into the coding to change it. Megashift should be 1 by default.
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

0 will not work. You need to post your project archive so we can have a look at the complete project.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

Blazer4L60E.msq
The megashift .msq
Andy
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

blazersaturday.msq
The MS3x that is running my engine .msq

Hope those are the files you want. If not, describe them to me and I'll find them
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As I said what is needed is your project archive to have all the project information: File>Project>Export Project Archive. This will give you a .tsproj file.

Jean
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

Blazer_2015-05-23_18.57.54.msq
Wouldn't ;et me upload as .tsproj so I changed the file extension to .msq. Should be able to download it and change it back. If that doesn't work, I can email it to you.
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The CAN commands are not activated for your mshift. You need to correct that in the CAN Devices tab of your project properties. That issue will give you the error you saw.

Jean
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

I'll give that a shot first thing tomorrow. Pretty sure I had that activated before with the same error. I might be wrong though. I've changed a lot of settings back and forth over the last few days trying to get this working. Between all the firmware tries and such I may have lost track and stopped making sure to activate that. It should be set to active on the MS3x, the CAN of mshift, and the real mshift correct?
Andy
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

Wasn't the answer. Same exact error.
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I just had a look. The problem is the mshift ini file. The file creator seems to be ignorant of CAN passthrough and this will never work as is since it doesn't define the CAN command to read the firmware signature. You need to take that up with the file creator on the gpio forum.

Jean
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

I'll try the older versions of the firmware again and see if that does the trick. The version my brother put on at first was v2xxx and that was all kinds of jacked up. I put on v5101 but will try the v4146 and see how that does.

Thank you for the help. I will keep this updated till I have it ironed out so everyone can learn from my frustration.
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It's not the firmware. It's the ini file which describes the interface between the firmware and TunerStudio. As I said, you need to go to the gpio forum and ask the ini to be corrected to have a CAN command for the signature.

By the way, support for the mshift is not on this forum but on the gpio forum and the person who wrote the firmware and maintains it is not on the msextra forum (here). Since this is clearly a mshift issue, you need to go to the right place to get your issue solved.

Jean
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

Hopefully I posted in the right area of that board but as I have to wait for moderator approval before it will go up and it's a holiday weekend... Who knows when that will happen.
Andy
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Another option, if your trans is supported, is to use the Microsquirt trans firmware instead. (It works on GPIO too.) That is known to have working CAN.
http://www.msextra.com/product-range/ex ... n-control/

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: CAN bus (Mshift passthrough problems)

Post by blueblazer »

Sure wish that Microsquirt had come up in my search results when I was trying to decide on a transmission controller. All I knew was using Microsquirt for engine control.

Found my problem. :yeah!: A missed solder connection on the CAN bus part of the 3.0 board. Sometimes going through a circuit with an ohm meter is needed. Sure would be nice had the error message been a bit more clear. Really thought it was software.

Down to what I hope is my final issue. What .ini should I reference when setting the CAN device? The GPIO_Mshift_5101.ini that I downloaded or the mainController.ini that got created when I started the transmission control project?
Andy
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: CAN bus (Mshift passthrough problems)

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That was not the cause of the problem you had and that triggered the error message. What I said still stand.

Jean