Setting Number of Secondary Injectors

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

cammmy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Setting Number of Secondary Injectors

Post by cammmy »

Hi Guys

Just wondering where I set the number of secondary injectors in tuner studio for staged injection? My car has 4 port injectors and 2 plenum injectors from factory. I've had a good look but can't find anything; the manual states the number of injectors figure doesn't include any secondary's but I can't see anywhere to specify how many there are.

Is there a way to set this or do I need to set them to half their flowrate so it opens them for twice as long?

Thanks
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Setting Number of Secondary Injectors

Post by nathaninwa »

I read your other post too and was intrigued then. I do staged injection and love it. So I'm asuuming that both sets run the same fuel? If I was in your shoes, I'd run the primary off duty cycle and stage in the secondary's. Use all the correct flow rates and work with the VE table. If the numbers are getting to large them I'm sure you can slowly do the trick your talking about, but until you run its hard to say

My other question is why not get some new larger primary injectors to handle the whole fuel load?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
cammmy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cammmy »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, both sets run the same fuel. I'm not sure why Lotus went down this route; I guess partly for emissions and partly as they had to work with whatever they could get from the GM parts bin.

I thought about running only from primaries but figured if it's already set up for staged injection, I may as well use it and get the benefits. I'm trying to get all the advantages I can emissions wise, a couple of mods I've done would make the car what I would call "emissions challenged" :lol:
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Thanks a lot gang!!!!! :lol:

Now I'm going to be lying awake at night, trying to figure out why my staged injection works so well without me ever telling MS how many secondary injectors I have!!!!

In my case, I am running a 900 cfm Holley TB that does not have progressive linkage. Therefore, in order to avoid spraying on the closed rear throttles, even Holley tells you to delay spraying until the rear throttles are open.

Of course MS lends itself quite nicely to this situation. I just tell MS that I only have 2 primary injectors (Bank 1) and set my injector staging to bring the secondaries (Bank 2) in at a particular TPS. This scheme seems to work quite well and the transition is quite seamless.

So for me the question becomes, WHY? MS knows what the size of those extra 2 injectors is, but has no idea of how many there are!

Any thoughts on this that might help me sleep at night? :lol:

Ken
Last edited by kjones6039 on Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
cammmy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cammmy »

My guess is that it assumes you have the same number of secondary's as primaries? Seems odd thought given the level of detail you can go into when configuring these things.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

cammmy wrote:My guess is that it assumes you have the same number of secondary's as primaries?
Possible I suppose....... I'm hoping one of the guru's will stop by and clear this up!! :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance