Cant Datalog

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Cant Datalog

Post by dll67 »

So first automatic logging wouldnt work with my first project so i created a new project now the second project will create a datalog but it never gets bigger than 3kb no matter how long I let it log.

first project
67 Camaro_CurrentTune.msq
Second project
67 camaro IOx CurrentTune.msq
EDIT:
TunerStudioAppDebug.txt
Last edited by dll67 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MS3PU/IOx/CAN-EGT/DBWx2 540ci BBC 325cc int runners (2)innovate LC2 wbo2's, Hilborn ITB injector cnvrtd to EFI, 55LB Inj, d585 coil near plg, 60-2 trg whl & cam ph snsr, Muncie 4spd w/10T VSS, Tilton 7.25" cerametalic cltch 8.5LB flywhl
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Cant Datalog

Post by dll67 »

Is there a configuration file that dictates where the datalog saves to with logging?
EDIT:
It creates the log file but it never records anything?
MS3PU/IOx/CAN-EGT/DBWx2 540ci BBC 325cc int runners (2)innovate LC2 wbo2's, Hilborn ITB injector cnvrtd to EFI, 55LB Inj, d585 coil near plg, 60-2 trg whl & cam ph snsr, Muncie 4spd w/10T VSS, Tilton 7.25" cerametalic cltch 8.5LB flywhl
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

How is your project set up?
In the log it looks like you have the MS3 as the main controller, then the IOx setup as a CAN device.
Is the IOx online?
is it configured to read runtime data from the IOx also?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Correct .. Ms3x main controller, can 0 and iox is can 5.
The iox for now just handles a vr sensor mounted in the transmission handling vehicle speed and displays on tunerstudio dash as well in datalogs when they used to work.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I would need a Comm Debug log taken while you start trying to log. It sounds like something isn't configured correctly to get from bot sources. That will hang the log.

With an MS3X you can set up the MS3 to read from the IOx with CAN Receiving and there is no need to have Read runtime data checked. You will get faster log rates doing it this way.
Phil Tobin
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As Phil says, in most case with an MS3 setup you don't need to have the runtime data from the IOx; the data is read by the MS3 and logged in the MS3 datalog. The main exception to this is when you're first setting things up and you want to compare the data on the IOx and MS3 and when doing some troubleshooting with the IOx data.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Thanks for the head's up on the runtime data. I'll switch that off.
As far as data logging I'm at a loss on what was happening, my only thought is looking at the usual culprit .. Security software.
Since I uninstalled tunerstudio and reinstalled and creating a new project, it's working again. When it acts up again I'll try killing my security software before I uninstall/reinstall/new project solution.
Thanks for the info and ideas.
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Oh and I'll do a comm log ..
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

UPDATE: I believe the problem is a security software problem having to do with program control. Ive given tunerstudio and megalogviewer permissions within my security software and they have been working better.
I'll update again if they keep up the good behavior
Thank You
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

What security software is that?
What might it be restricting?
Phil Tobin
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Sorry for the delay in replying .. tuning became more important than my data logging problem once I found a temporary work-a round.
LT401Vette wrote:What security software is that?
What might it be restricting?
At the time I thought Zonealarm, in particular its "application control" features, might be interfiering with Megalogviewer's ability to "trail live file". That "lit the bulb" on how well security software always gets along with other programs on the same machine. So I changed some settings in ZA and finally dis-abled it and the problem with data logging continued ... I'm sure ZA is still guilty of AT LEAST piss-poor communication skills.
With some other curves in the "tuning" road ... here we are.

So after reading other posts with very similar symptoms ..
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=58719
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 00&t=59222
... I started to think I maybe had a noise problem on CAN H & L that was causing Tunerstudio to drop communication to CAN devices. That leaving tunerstudio still trying to communicate with a CAN device and leaving data logging un-able to start.
.... So ... I posted on Jean's site my tsproj file and tunerstudioappdebug with comm debug enabled ..
http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 8174#p8174
... Jean found a usb error and thought I might have better luck finding aanswers coming at the problem from the tunerstudio end of things.
For your viewing pleasure and hopefully somewhere to look for answers to our problems.
TunerStudioAppDebug.zip
With comm debug
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

I took a look at the TunerStudioAppDebug.txt file you posted but I can not run it through the debugger so I will need to wait for Phil and unfortunately he is on vacation right now but I will bring this to his attention when he gets back.

Have you tried switching the Connection Type to the RS232 Serial Interface (JSSC) in your project communication settings ? If not I would give that a try and see if you are able to start taking a log. If that does not work either you can try taking another Comm Debug Log and I will take a look but we will most likely need to wait for Phil to get back before we can get to the bottom of this issue.
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

I switched to a serial cable and rs232 port and still noticed 1 occurrence of it dropping, switching to the IOx current tube msq and then right back to the camaro msq .. Maybe it's just a intermittent connection (solder or connector) problem?
I have noticed that data logs are starting manually without incident and will now continue recording through key off, key on sequences. Still no automatic data logging with rpm>100 triggering.
If another comm data/appdebug log will help I can do that tonite.
I'm currently so frustrated with trying to tune the d*** thing right now that I'm building an eddy current brake out of a large 3 phase motor. In an effort to apply a load to the car while stationary .. Maybe then I can make some headway.
Anyone else turned a 3 phase motor into a brake? I could use some quick and dirty ideas.
I'll start a new thread for that now ..
Thanks Dave
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

"3 phase motor as a stationary load, like a rolling road"
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=59467
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

For whatever reason, there seems to be a series of communication issues from many different users having Projects with CAN devices. I presently have no idea if they are all related to the same problem and if this is based on hardware issues, driver issues, TunerStudio issues, or firmware issues. But it seems that using an MS3-only project is a workaround.

If you don't need to do many changes to the IOx, what I would recommend is that you create a new project and you don't add the IOx as a CAN device. You will still be able to have the MS3 retrieve all the IOx data since the IOx is already configured for it. You should also be able to see all that data from the MS3 datalog and TunerStudio won't try to communicate with the IOx at the same time.

If you've already tried this and it still won't work or you don't see the IOx data in the MS3 datalog, let us know. And if that solves your issue for now, that's also useful information.

Also, one thing to do to confirm that you have a good connection from the PC to your MS3 and from the MS3 to the IOx over the CAN bus is to run my port scanner: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1282. If this shows the MS3 on the COM port and at CAN ID 0 and the IOx at CAN ID 5 then you have a correct basic hardware setup for communications over the serial port and the CAN bus. What the other issues are remains to be established.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

I will do that before I light it off again, and report back my findings. Might not be till this weekend ..
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

I created a new project without CAN and connected to my controller (ms3x) and loaded the setting from controller into tunerstudio. Tunerstudio still datalogs the CAN device and automatic datalogging is working again. Looks like that fixed it ..
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Just a small correction with the way you put this. TunerStudio is not datalogging the CAN device but it is datalogging the MS3 data some of which the MS3 has polled from a CAN device. You still get the data but there is a significant difference in how the communications are done for that. And that also has an impact on how to go about correcting the issue instead of just working around it but that's another story.

In any case, it's good to see that it solves your issue for now.

Jean
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Just a small correction with the way you put this. TunerStudio is not datalogging the CAN device but it is datalogging the MS3 data some of which the MS3 has polled from a CAN device. You still get the data but there is a significant difference in how the communications are done for that. And that also has an impact on how to go about correcting the issue instead of just working around it but that's another story.

In any case, it's good to see that it solves your issue for now.

Jean
Ok .. so I might have left out some details ... 1 issue down and more issues than I even have a grasp of yet to go.