Unable to connect to MS2 - 4 machines tried!

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Unable to connect to MS2 - 4 machines tried!

Post by Quagmire »

HI everyone,

This problem has had me pulling my hair out over the last few days - i have done a fair bit of googling to no avail. I seem totally unable to connect to my MS2 - unless using MSDroid over bluetooth. The ECU is an MS2 on a v3.0 board running 3.3.2 - Signature in the *.ini says "MS2Extra comms332m2"

I have tried 4 different machines, all with no success - yet MSDroid still connects perfectly from my phone every time. What am I doing wrong? I am a licenced user so have made sure that all the machines are registered to ensure I have the wireless connectivity features enabled. (Note to Phil - I only want one machine registered and will wipe whichever machines I don't get working when this is all figured out).

PCs tried are as follows:

Windows 8.1 laptop using ASUS USB-BT400 bluetooth adaptor. (No RS232 connection) Running TS 2.6.14

Symptoms - pairs with car bluetooth ok, but TS never detects or connects. I have checked that it is using the outgoing com port -annoyingly it has randomly connected maybe twice in say 40 attempts.

Windows 7 laptop with built in bluetooth, no built in rs232 port. Running TS 2.6.19

Pairs ok, - TS never picks it up in detection, and as above if I force TS to use the settings I think it should be, (rate 115200, and whatever port has been assigned as outgoing by windows) I still get nothing...

Old Dell Latitude running Lubuntu 12.04 and TS 2.6.19 -

Picks up the bluetooth (using the ASUS usb-bt400), pairs and assigns serial connection to rfcomm0 but TS never shows me the option for that port in the drop down if trying to set manually and never picks it up when detecting a connection. Plugging in the serial lead and doing it the old fashioned way doesn't do anything either - it seems to almost skip the 115200 rate setting in the tests. As above, if i manually guessimate the settings it still wont connect. I would really like to get this machine running as it is the best one to have kicking about in the car.

Older Dell Latitude running winxp and TS 2.6.01 (I think it was) - haven't tried bluetooth on this one, but a proper cable connection doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated, I got my car switched over to EFI yesterday and I want to get some VEAL done on it. Ideally I would like to get the Lubuntu machine working if possible as it didn't cost me much but is still nice to use and has good battery life - perfect for the car. :mrgreen:

If you need any further information (any logs? - where do i get them?) please just let me know.

Thanks

Jamie
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Unable to connect to MS2 - 4 machines tried!

Post by Quagmire »

OK fixed it (On win 8.1 machine) - In device manager> Ports then right clicking and viewing the properties of the assigned com port for bluetooth I could see that it had for some reason set itself to a speed of 9600 Baud!

Changed it to 115200 and it connected up right away.
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

OK - original problem for the original poster (me) is back for the win 8.1 machine.

All settings still the same in device manager i.e baud rate is 115200 for the MS2 but TS will still not connect.

I tried deleting the pairing and rebooting a couple of times, no change. I have systematically worked my way through trying each of the settings under the comms drop downs but no joy. TS quite often hangs if I simply manually apply some settings and then click accept without testing the port first if that means anything.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dstamnes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dstamnes »

can you like me upload firmware to the processor?
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

Havent tried...

Comms debug attached for info.
dstamnes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dstamnes »

if you create a new project, are TS able to recognize the firmware on the processor?
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

I'd say that it picks it up one time in every 30 goes when creating a new project - just need to figure out whats different about the 30th try.
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

On mine I can still connect perfectly with MSDroid over Bluetooth so I know that the ms2 is OK.

I just can't run veal on it!
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

OK so i just tried connecting to my old MS1 in the Landrover - same problem.

Went back to the P6 with portcheck as you suggested James and did the following.

Deleted pairing in windows
Key on, re-paired with bluetooth on MS2
This gave me the following com ports:

I then ran portcheck and got this - success, the PC DOES see the MS2, on some level anyway:

So then I opened up TS and tried to detect the port, it took quite a while but no luck:

So I tried to manually connect to com 6 - nothing worked.

I then ran portcheck again, with TS still open and got this:

I went to close TS but it was hanging, so killed it from Task Manager and checked windows to see if it still thought there were com ports there, it did:

So I then ran portcheck again (TS still closed) and it looked like this -com 6 was longer being found:

So I did a key off and on and let the bluetooth reconnect without me intervening, ran portcheck again, lo and behold com 6 was back:

So then I tried opening TS and going into the Mini terminal - no luck. When trying to opening com 6 I got this:

I have also attached a Commsdebug file - it looks to me like something weird is going on with TS and com 6 which pretty much crashes it and locks the port?

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

This seems to be the problem:

Code: Select all

21/07/15 10:38:04 :Info: Opening port: COM6
Jul 21, 2015 10:38:05 AM f.o a
SEVERE: null
i.i: Unable to open port: COM6
Please check your Communications Settings. 
A very severe null !

No idea what that means, so need to hear from the TunerStudio support guys.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I know this doesn't help much, but I've got an MS1 on the bench now that's running some flavor of MS/extra and TS can't autodetect it either. I actually thought it was broken or needed the firmware reflashed until I ran portcheck.exe which detected it immediately (this is over a cabled RS-232 connection).

So you might want to try manually selecting the correct firmware in your TS project setup and just tell it to connect and see if that works.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brian H EFI »

Quagmire

What computer are you ultimately trying to get TunerStudio working on so that you can use it to tune ? Please send me the TunerStudioAppDebug.txt file from that PC.
Looking at the appDebug logs you posted they are from the Windows 7 PC is that the PC you want to ultimately use for tuning ?

Ok looking closer I see that you want to use the "Old Dell Latitude running Lubuntu 12.04 and TS 2.6.19" but I most say I am not up on my Ubuntu so for the time being till Phil gets back in town I will try and get the Windows 7 computer to work for you.

On your Windows 7 computer did you update from a older version of TS to v2.6.14 or did you install that manually ?

I would try downloading and running the installing for TunerStudio v2.6.19 then try to detect your ECU and see if it can find, however when it comes to Bluetooth I will say that
TS may have some trouble detecting your ECU over a Bluetooth connection do to the time it takes to open and close the Bluetooth ports. I recommend IDing the outgoing COM port and then set it manually in your Projects communication settings like the pictures you have posted so you know you are on the correct port already.

http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/downloads

After you try connecting with TS v2.6.19 if it does not work please post the latest TunerStudioAppDebug.txt file I want to check and see what JRE it is starting up with. Currently on your Windows 7 PC it is not starting up with the included Runtime, which should not be a issue but it is possible.
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

Hi Brian,

I am new to Ubuntu anyway - so lets forget that machine for the moment and stick to my windows 8.1 one :D

The log file in my post with all the screenshots was taken on this machine - Its an Intel i5 running the x64 version of Windows 8.1.

I will try a fresh install of TS 2.6.19 - I can't for the life of me remember if the version currently on here was one that I installed cleanly or upgraded to so best to make sure. Let me know if you need me to log any specific actions being tried.

Thanks for the help!

Jamie
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

Couldnt find an installer anywhere lurking on my Win 8.1 machine locally, so I guess I must have upgraded TS along the way.

Uninstalled it and did a clean install and everything seems to be working now :yeah!:

Just need to sort the others now - I will do some more googling/tinkering for the Ubuntu machine and open a clean thread if I need any further assistance.

Many thanks

Jamie