TS data log choices

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

ANTI VENOM
MS/Extra Newbie

TS data log choices

Post by ANTI VENOM »

TS 2.6.04
MS2 3.3.2 extra
MLV 4.0.19

I just started my engine for the first time and therefore I don't have much real world experience with TS. So many questions but I'll try to make this brief.
1 ) How do you select which parameters will be logged? Is it the "data log profile editor"? Everything is selected there but I don't seem to get everything or is it based on the "logger type"?
I did a composite capture but I don't really know what to look for and the "engine logger + map" log I did seems to ONLY have the map.
2) Do I need to use MLV or can I just open the data log in TS?
I'm new please be gentle.
2015-07-23_383_LT1.msq
2015-07-21_20.14.08.csv
91 Vette 383 LT1 with HEI distributor
MS2 V3 with Extra 3.3.2

Turbo coming after it's tuned!
7/21/2015 first start
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TS data log choices

Post by kjones6039 »

ANTI VENOM wrote:2) Do I need to use MLV or can I just open the data log in TS?
Yes and no, respectively.

You need MLV to view your data logs.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you want to do a normal data log that saves all the info like rpm, temp map and so on ........ right near the top the 'data logging tab' then 'start logging' decide where to save it. then after you have finished click stop.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ANTI VENOM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ANTI VENOM »

grom_e30 wrote: right near the top the 'data logging tab' then 'start logging' decide where to save it. then after you have finished click stop.
Maybe I am viewing it incorrectly then, as I did exactly as you have mentioned. I then opened MLV and it only shows the map and the ignition log. I've opened other peoples files and they show lots of info. I noticed that my data logs are .csv file extension and others are .mxx (don't know the exact extension)
MS2 V3 with Extra 3.3.2

7/21/2015 first start
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

grom_e30's instructions were for Tunerstudio, not MLV. It's all about how you generate the logs!

In Tunerstudio you're probably looking at the "Diagnostics & high-speed loggers" tab which is used for specialized purposes like diagnosing trigger problems.

What you need to do (in TS) is look up at the very top for the "Data logging" menu (same as where the profiles are set). In that menu click "start logging" (or just press <ctrl>+L) and a dialog will pop up asking where to save the log file, and it should offer a default file name with a ".msl" extension. Select a location and click "save" and logging will begin. When you want to stop logging, simply close the program, or go to the "data logging" menu and select "stop" (or press <ctrl>+B).

That will leave you with a .msl file that can be viewed in MLV. If you want to restrict what parameters are logged you can use the "profiles" feature - if you don't, the default is to log all possible values.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
ANTI VENOM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ANTI VENOM »

Yes, you are correct, as was grom_e30, I was using the "Diagnostics and high speed loggers". I saw the start logging up there but assumed it was the same. Thank you both for setting me straight. Now I can get some data.
MS2 V3 with Extra 3.3.2

7/21/2015 first start
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

I was doing the exact opposite. Someone asked for a composite and tooth log, and I couldn't find that data in the .msl file. :oops: