Idle valve test question

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

turboflanagan
MS/Extra Newbie

Idle valve test question

Post by turboflanagan »

For a stepper motor type ISC, while doing the idle valve test, should the plunger simply vibrate in place, or move the requisite number of steps set for the idle home steps and idle steps?

With a good isc, what should the result be with 0 and 250 entered as values? Should the plunger move to the alternate setting when the home or run position is selected?

I am working with a new isc and it vibrates at key on and while doing the idle valve test, but changing settings in TS for Idle Steps affects no change to the idle. Please help me figure out my idle.
turboflanagan
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Idle valve test question

Post by turboflanagan »

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 10.00.15 PM.png
Here is a screenshot of the idle valve test settings I have used. The selections in the dropdown minu for the "Move to home position" line are home and run. I have switched the steps for each with no change.

Making changes in the IAC Step Bins under Startup/idle -> Idle Steps also has no effect on the idle.

I have removed the isc to view the plunger while these settings are changed and it does not move. It does, however, cycle all the way out and in at key-on.

Why will it not budge when settings are changed in TS?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Idle valve test question

Post by Matt Cramer »

If it's vibrating, one or more coils are wired backwards, or your step size is too short.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X