Dashboard freezes when an other window in foreground (FIXED)

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Flow
MS/Extra Newbie

Dashboard freezes when an other window in foreground (FIXED)

Post by Flow »

Hi,

I noticed on some youtube video's that other users can have multiple windows open and still have their dashboards updated in the background.

But for me the main dashboard or any other dashboard in TunerStudio freezes/pauses when I open another window (ie. the FuelTable etc).
For instance I was trying to tune the closed-loop idle and wanted to change the idle valve steps using the output test-mode. But by doing so the main dashboard just pauzes in the background, leaving me unable to read the RPM, AFR etc. from the dashboard. The window in the foreground is constantly being updated, so that works just fine.

I accidently noticed that when I moved the output test-mode window (clicking on the top bar and dragging the window), and kept moving it with the mouse, some gauges briefly changed when being swept over by this window.

Reinstalling TunerStudio did not remedy this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or are there others who are experiencing the same issue?

I am using Windows 7 (x64), TunerStudio 2.6.19, MS2Extra v3.3.3, FTDI USB to serial connection.
Car: Renault Clio RS 172 2.0 16v N/A (182 RS exhaust manifold, 200 cel race cat., KTEC silent stealth exhaust, lightweight flywheel, QUAIFE differential)
ECU: MS2Extra v3.0 with firmware v3.4.0
Lambda: Innovate LC-2
Flow
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Dashboard freezes when an other window in foreground (FI

Post by Flow »

Well the problem has been fixed, the only downside of it is that I don't know exactly what the solution was. I took the MS2 out of the car to fix the wiring loom. Also decided to just updated it to the most recent firmware version.

But it must have been one of the following (in no particular order):

- In Tunerstudio -> Options -> Performance: Turned OFF Modal Dialogs which was turned ON. Even after turning this option back ON again updates the gauges in the background.
- Installed the newest FTDI driver for my USB to serial cable (Seems rather unlikely?)
- Noticed when I was reading the TunerStudio Reference v3.4 PDF (Page 28), that my FTDI COM port settings in the Windows Device manager had the wrong value for the Bits per second field. Changed this to 115200.
- Updated the MS2 firmware from v3.3.3 to v3.4.0 (Also sounds unlikely to have been the cause?)

So for someone who might experience the same issue, try one of the above.
Anyway I am very happy that it's working now! :yeah!:
Car: Renault Clio RS 172 2.0 16v N/A (182 RS exhaust manifold, 200 cel race cat., KTEC silent stealth exhaust, lightweight flywheel, QUAIFE differential)
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

- In Tunerstudio -> Options -> Performance: Turned OFF Modal Dialogs which was turned ON. Even after turning this option back ON again updates the gauges in the background.
That would be it... When Modal Dialogs are on, it stops painting the dash when in that mode... This setting is from long ago where some people were using 1900's laptops that were strained in CPU / GPU power.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Flow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Flow »

Thanks for clarifying on that Phil.