TS goes offline

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

350ep70gr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

TS goes offline

Post by 350ep70gr »

Hi guys

I have a problem wich i fight for a couple of years now.
The problem is that TS goes offline every now and then. In 15 minutes drive will do that two or three times. Every time it happens i must switch off TS/ unplug usb cable/plug usb cable/start TS. Sometimes but not often will go offline and after 1 minute or so will reconect without doing nothing. By itshelf.
I used to run 321 code and had this problem more often..maybe every two or thee minutes.(i hade error 17 those days wich i have totaly fix now causing ms to drop rpm to zero and switch off main relay ). With 333 code i am running now it is better but still frustating when you want to tune or datalog to loose connection.
Sometimes it happens at idle too but 99% happens near the maximun rpm and when launch control/flatshift is working.
I use the diy serial to usb adapter with the included usb cable. I have change computer,i have change usb cable,i have rewire grounds, i scrap all the original loom and make a new one with the suggested ground points, change the firmware, use an other serial/usb adapter and a batch of other things.
These thread will be the last i guess for this problem. If i will not find a solution i will live with it.
I have delete the TunerStudioAppDebug.txt and make a new one wich looks very bad just reading it but i dont really know what everything means so i will post it for the experts.

Thanks in advance

Chris
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TS goes offline

Post by LT401Vette »

This does sound like a noise issue..
Noise typically causes 1 of 2 out comes.
1) Data dropouts - some data sent or received doesn't make it to the other side. With the 3.33 firmware using the new protocol, this typically causes a retry so only a brief pause ( the duration of 1 record ) in your runtime data or data log, probably not noticeable. However, if the disruption is bad enough to cause 3 drops in a row, TS will go offline and then reconnect.

2) Hang the RS232 or USB chip. This is often more of a ground loop back or voltage spike than just EM noise. When this happens, from TS's view the port goes away, so it will go offline right away and often can not go back online until chip is reset, like for a USB to RS232 adapter, unplugging from the laptop and plugging back in.

From your description and app debug file it seems like you are having trouble #2

The noise can come from several places, most commonly is the USB to RS232 adapter, but that is not always the culprit. I have come across several cases where it was a grounding issue, internal solder or bad RS232 cable. Also the laptop itself can be an issue. One laptop I have will suffer dropouts on 1 USB port, but the other will work fine all day.

There are some tips for resolving this at:
http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/faqs/7 ... nnectivity
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
350ep70gr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: TS goes offline

Post by 350ep70gr »

Thanks Phil for the straight reply. I will try everything suggesteed and i will report back in a week or so.

A bluetooth adapter without the usb to be involved do you think it will be better or you still can have offline problems even via bluetooth?

Anyway i will first check my other 2 usb ports because i use only one specific for ms then i will change usb cable, then i will try a industrial type usb to rs232 adapter. In a week or so i will have and can try my new laptop aswell. About grounding loop etc i dont want to hear again anything. Maybe worldwide it is not exist more '' ground loop protected car'' I have million miles ground wires with a million ground points, to the chassis, to the block to the head, to the battery. You name it i have it grounded like this...LOL ...expensive indusrtial wires with shields for servo motors and plcs etc. With all this effort maybe i have seen a 15% improvment but nothing that will make me happy and leave me focus to drive and tune. I have to pull over every two milles to do the reset to be able to log something till the next lost communication.

Thanks again for your input

Chris aka (350ep70gr)