Hard Start When Cold

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Hard Start When Cold

Post by Lazabby »

I took my car for a run today and did a log. The starting is still not quite as smooth as it should be although it starts! I'm using the AE runnng off of MAP (I have no TPS). I have a little bit of surging at a steady speed and I hate to bump up the AE to try and eliminate it. Is there something else I could try?
CurrentTune with AE.msq
2016-01-13_17.14.29.msl
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Honestly that is why MAPdot is just not a great way to trigger AE. It is such a fine line between false/nuisance triggering(your surges) and response to real acceleration. When you have enough threshold to avoid the nuisance triggering you loose the tip in response you need.TPS is so much easier because it is direct (but some still have trouble with tip in).
Have a try with these setting in my screenshot, the way I have them too, small mapdot on top and large mapdot on bottom. That is the way the MS does its compare and for some reason the TS examples come with it the other way? Tuner Studio will draw the graph correctly either ascending or descending but the MS needs the tables data small on top to large at bottom.
See if the surging disappears but tip in is acceptable, if it helps try and reduce your threshold a little bit more. If not report back with new datalog for table tweaking.
Screenshot (5).jpg
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Starting problems usually less timing is better as it allows the engine to crank faster. I have mine at 2 degrees at cranking speed. Other than that have someone check a plug lead to see if there is any real delay for spark to be present (maybe pull injector fuses to be safe) IF spark is there in a timely manner then it has to be fuel (too much or too little) or perhaps not enough air maybe squeeze a tiny bit of throttle on when cranking. Not enough air can be too much fuel or sometime just not enough air. Experiment, try stuff.
Cheers Luke
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

I did a log today. Driving at a steady 35 MPH seems to produce little surges. I can't understand why it would dothat since MAPdot indicates no change so I'm not sure why AE would spike during this time giving it a shot of gas. Perhaps I should try bumping up AE treshold to 95?
CurrentTune with AE.msq
2016-01-17_15.23.27.msl
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The logger does not pick up every mapdot event as it only reads at a certain rate. Extremely quick can fall between the cracks. That however does not mean the ecu does not see it and respond. Under communications there is a setting Data Rate which will show how many reads per second you have selected. As I said earlier the fine line between good tip in and nuisance AE triggering is very fine and sometimes you have to compromise one for the other. TPS Dot is more direct and faster reacting than MAP Dot. You can wind up the threshold and add some more smoothing to the MAP filter but this may effect good tip in response.
Cheers Luke
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

Hi Luke
I move the threshold to 90. I also played with the MAPdot graph line. From what I've read online, one should strive for the floating green ball to travel along that line. Too high or too low and the car can run rich or lean on acceleration. I think I have it set pretty well and the MAPdot ball seems to stay on the line when accelerating. I did not notice any surging while trying to keep a steady speed.

The car still doesn't run as smooth as I would like while cruising. I'm thinking about turning on the autotune and see if it suggests some changes.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If you can get that nuisance AE under control then work on your VE and timing for cruise areas of the maps. I try for an afr around 14:1 and spark around 30 to 32 degrees at 35mph cruising. 60mph cruising around 14.7 to 15 AFR and 34 degrees or as much timing as it will tolerate without surging. I have 2 cells at 36 degrees but I have seen factory maps with 40 degrees for highway cruise, my car would surge over 36. But every engine is different and yours might have a more efficient chamber and require less timing over all.
Cheers Luke