What is a good AFR number at higher loads and RPM'S?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

What is a good AFR number at higher loads and RPM'S?

Post by AATopFuel »

Hey guys,
My racing season has begun, so I've been gone. Now, I have a few minutes and I have a question. I have finally got it on the street and got it up to 25 mph, res area, and I am trying to get it to 13 to 1 to 14 to 1 AFR. At higher loads like 40 to 100 loads, where should the AFR be? I find it at 11 to 1 AFR and I'm sure that's wrong and I am sure that 14 to 1 is just as wrong. At 25 mph the driver steps on the brakes and gives it the gas I need to achieve the load that I am working on. Now, I need to get it out of the res and get 35, 40, 45 and so on in all the loads. So, there has to be a rule of thumb on the loads or loads per rpm that would be a good safe place to start with. I haven't even got into the turbo part of it yet nor do I want to until I feel a little better about the tuneup. I don't have an EGT gauge on it like I do on the fuel cars, so I have to depend on the LM-2 gauge, I do plan to get one. What do you think?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: What is a good AFR number at higher loads and RPM'S?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Hard to go wrong with 12.8:1 on a NA engine for power.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
andy198712
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by andy198712 »

i was lead to believe 12.5 was where peak power was? could well be wrong
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

At that point we are splitting hairs without enough information. AFR gauges vary somewhat from one gauge to the next. You should always test with a dyno or by playing with acceleration rates seeing what YOUR motor wants with YOUR AFR gauge. With a perfect accuracy gauge, the answer will come up somewhere near 12.9 AFR on a NA motor with reasonable timing.

Have fun tuning

Andy
andy198712
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by andy198712 »

whittlebeast wrote:At that point we are splitting hairs without enough information. AFR gauges vary somewhat from one gauge to the next. You should always test with a dyno or by playing with acceleration rates seeing what YOUR motor wants with YOUR AFR gauge. With a perfect accuracy gauge, the answer will come up somewhere near 12.9 AFR on a NA motor with reasonable timing.

Have fun tuning

Andy
thats a very good point! 8)
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Agreed that's why mine loves 13:1, on my gauge, on my engine.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke