Adding more data to Dash

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

BB_Mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Adding more data to Dash

Post by BB_Mike »

I am looking to bring more data into my custom dash. I have a transmission controller from Powertrain Control Solution (TCU 2000) and they provide the serial interface specifications to get a lot of good information about the transmission. Is there an open version of the software that I can play with? I'd like to create a backside "plug in" of sorts and share it back for others who have external serial-based information that they want to bring in. I am not in it for the business case, I'm just a hobbyist that knows engines and can sling some code. My target device is an Android tablet.
I know this is not the correct thread to get answers in, don't want to junk it up with software discussions. please do point/kick me in the right direction. :)
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Adding more data to Dash

Post by LT401Vette »

There are numerous ways to skin this cat.

The easiest is to use a MicroSquirt to control the trans :-)

Alternatively, you could create a hardware or software solution to achieve such a thing.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
BB_Mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BB_Mike »

Thanks Phil.
I was hoping you'd be able to reply. Yes, easiest always seems to be the most expensive. ha. The micro squirt would be a nice addition, but I would have to sell my TCU transmission controller and it has some really neat features that I want to keep.

Is there any available interface information or source code for Shadow Dash?
If there is not, then such is life. I'll just have to build a new application from scratch and find some way to use widgets to overlay my new information.
I also have an arduino interface to a CAN shield that is controlling my seats. I have some fun stuff going on and just thinking through the most efficient way to put it all together. What I like most about the shadow Dash is the community support and your support for future growth.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

What kind of features?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
BB_Mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BB_Mike »

One I like a lot is a switched input (digital on / off) that I map to change between true manual or "upshift only" manual. It is very easy to assign an input to control various settings. meaning you can do so while driving with the flip of a switch, versus a computer interface. Another perk is dual calibrations. Kind of like microsquirts "race mode" and I can switch over while driving with a switch input.
the configurations for line pressure and shift points has a lot of fidelity to them. the logging ability is really nice, just from a user interface standpoint. very intuitive.

I'm sure I could get a microsquirt to do what the TCM-2000 does. In fact, I am sure I will one day. but for now, I have a working setup, with regular ol' gauges and I know well how it works. I just want a supplemental display with some extra stuff on it.

I think the TCU-2000 is priced a few hundred bucks more.

Oh, and if it matters, my car is a 1971 Chevelle, 540cid, twin 76mm turbo charged.