coolant fan problem

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

dave65
MS/Extra Newbie

coolant fan problem

Post by dave65 »

i bought a used diypnp which came off the same year car as mine a 1997 mk1 mx5 ,i tried testing the coolant fan in output test mode under wled but nothing happens when i turn it on, but if i let the car run till it gets hot the cars fan does start to cut in at around 98c but it only runs for a couple of secs and keeps cutting in and out, so it must me getting some kind of signal from the ecu.
also in programmable on/off outputs ive tried altering the settings to get the fan to come on at a lower temp but it doesn't matter what temp i use it doesn't change when the fan comes on.

msq included
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: coolant fan problem

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is this a 1.6 or 1.8, and what pin is WLED wired to?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dave65
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dave65 »

the wire runs from here to 1L ,when i check the cars harness there is no pin in that location, i also cant find a wiring diagram anywhere for a uk 1997 car.
sorry the car is a 1.6
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

On US market 1.6s (note - these were only sold through 1993 and discontinued the next year), the fan is wired to 1R and not 1L.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dave65
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dave65 »

my car is a bit of a weird one as it's a uk spec 1997 and i can't get a wiring diagram anywhere for this car, all the ones on the net are for us spec and the wires are different ,so at the moment my megasquirt is wired to 1L which is an empty pin on the cars ecu plug ,if it was wired to 1R that would be a black and green wire in the cars harness.
i guess what need to do is find out the colour of the wire on the cars harness that it would normally connect to and work it out from there.
dave65
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dave65 »

thanks for your help just moved the wire on the board to 1R and now i can control the fans, cheers.