AEM x-series wideband

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

AEM x-series wideband

Post by sandman1111 »

Hey

When Is X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge going to be added to TunerStudio software? At least I can not find it on EGO sensor selection.

Thanks
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AEM x-series wideband

Post by LT401Vette »

The calibration is the same as "AEM Linear (30-2310 & 30-4900)"
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sandman1111 »

Thanks. Has anyone tried it? Does it show correct AFR readings, or are there problems like with the older UEGO?
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Do you mean does the sensor read the true values, does the gauge show what the sensor reads or does the Megasquirt read the same values as the gauge (often not the case due to ground reference issues)?
I've just started using that gauge/controller, but connected using CAN. Megasquirt seems to get the same values as shown on the gauge but I have no way to confirm that the gauge is showing exactly what the sensor measures or whether that matches the true AFR of the exhaust gases - you'd need a calibrated system with sensor in the same section of exhaust pipe to compare against I imagine.

Nigel
sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sandman1111 »

Thanks for the relply. I was more concerned about if the gauge and megasquirt read same values. Anyway I also installed the Gauge on MS1, and my readings are totally different. Gauge is reading correctly I think, and megasquirt is totally off. Did you choose the AEM UEGO / Linear AEM-30-42xx on EGO sensor Selection?

I know I have a ground issua, because it is not taken from the same place, but I would like to know if I should take it from the MS, where the ms ground is soldere, or just from the same place (engine ground)? Same question with 12v
NigeT wrote:Do you mean does the sensor read the true values, does the gauge show what the sensor reads or does the Megasquirt read the same values as the gauge (often not the case due to ground reference issues)?
I've just started using that gauge/controller, but connected using CAN. Megasquirt seems to get the same values as shown on the gauge but I have no way to confirm that the gauge is showing exactly what the sensor measures or whether that matches the true AFR of the exhaust gases - you'd need a calibrated system with sensor in the same section of exhaust pipe to compare against I imagine.

Nigel
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Hi, I avoided the ground issue completely by using the CAN digital interface using an MS-Labs CAN module with my MS3 Basic. MS-Labs provide power and heater (wideband) and sensor grounds on the DB37, I would go with whatever instructions you have for your MS, but some current is pulled by any wideband controller so you don't want that influencing any low current sensors you have connected. You only want the wideband powered up when your MS is (fuel pump relay output maybe) and for the ground I'd say as near to where your MS1 is grounded as you can get.
Does TunerStudio for MS1 allow you to see the settings and compare them with the AEM user doc? I'm sure the setting stated earlier will be correct though.
sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sandman1111 »

Hey thanks again for helping. Yesturday I tried different wideband setting, and even a custom linear setting, all were off by at leat 4. to 6. :D.
I will try different locations for the wideband ground. Seems that other wires should be connected good enough.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Is that off by 4.0 to 6.0? That would be quite a big ground offset surely. You are running separate leads to power (heater) ground and signal ground aren't you? I'd take the signal ground to a signal / sensor ground on the MS if you have one. Not familiar at all with MS1 I'm afraid. Does it have a dedicated wideband signal input to an ADC without a pull-up?
sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sandman1111 »

Yes it is off that much. I don't think Ms1 has signal ground, but I'm not sure. AEM support also said to connect it to signal ground, but I don't know under what pin is it. All documentation I can find only has grounds, but no signal ground. And theres only one o2 pin.

Edit: So I found out, that those grounds, are used as signal ground. Found a few wiring pictures, where signal ground is connected to pin 7. I will try that.
sandman1111
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sandman1111 »

Okey I managed to fix it. All I had to do was solder the brown wire to ms1 ground. I chose pin2, and tunerstudio reads exactly the same as gauge. I havent driven the car yet, but at idle everything is good. This is with custom linear wideband setting.

Thanks a lot NigeT for help.
eekoog
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by eekoog »

Hi guys,

I would like to have my AEM X Series connected over can bus on my ms3x. Is it doable ?
Thank you.
Success story : Mazda rotary engine 13b peripheral ported, microsquirt V2, full alpha-n.

In the works : Volvo 240 4cyl 2.3, Holset HY35 and MS3x
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

eekoog wrote:Hi guys,

I would like to have my AEM X Series connected over can bus on my ms3x. Is it doable ?
Thank you.
Yes - see the CANbus menu for settings.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Irocz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Irocz »

LT401Vette wrote:The calibration is the same as "AEM Linear (30-2310 & 30-4900)"
I have mine set using that option but tunner studio is about .3-5 off compared to my gauge.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Irocz wrote:
LT401Vette wrote:The calibration is the same as "AEM Linear (30-2310 & 30-4900)"
I have mine set using that option but tunner studio is about .3-5 off compared to my gauge.
Where is the AEM unit grounded, including the analog ground?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
eekoog
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by eekoog »

I can now vouch for wideband over canbus !!!
How did i miss such a great feature !!
Very stable AFR values, instantaneous display on MS and 100% true to gauge value.
I redid all my VE table in autotune, and it is night and day.

Forget about analog guys, go canbus. And since the protocol is in the ms3 firmware, it took me literally 30sec to setup, and another 5min to do the wiring.
Success story : Mazda rotary engine 13b peripheral ported, microsquirt V2, full alpha-n.

In the works : Volvo 240 4cyl 2.3, Holset HY35 and MS3x
Irocz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Irocz »

Matt Cramer wrote:
Irocz wrote:
Where is the AEM unit grounded, including the analog ground?
AEM I ground is chassis
Analog ground is on sensor ground
Irocz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Irocz »

Ok, so I tried running through can. I have tried a bunch of different settings but every time I try and enable can ego it junks out my trans module. My IQ3 keeps working properly. Even with all the settings in place tunner studio still pegs rich.
poobs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by poobs »

sandman1111 wrote:Okey I managed to fix it. All I had to do was solder the brown wire to ms1 ground. I chose pin2, and tunerstudio reads exactly the same as gauge. I havent driven the car yet, but at idle everything is good. This is with custom linear wideband setting.

Thanks a lot NigeT for help.

Hello and happy new year.

I have a few days off and thought I'd tackle the issue of my MS1 AEM 30-300 and Tuner Studio not reading the same.

The MS1 is only temporary. MS2 will be late Christmas present.

My best correlation is 1 whole point off no matter what Gage I chose.

I'm willing to move the brown wire ground. I have it behind the head with just about every other ground I could find.

Where am I superposed to move it to ?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

The brown ground wire is a signal ground and should be connected to the signal ground wire on the MS ( Pin 7, black with a white stripe on the current DIYAutotune harnesses)
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!