tunnning while driving

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

tunnning while driving

Post by Supernova_6969 »

hi!

I was wondering if there is a way to tune the Ve table as i'm driving.

I know i can't stare at my screen while I drive, but one thing I CAN do is keep my fingers on the comma and the period button, and press one of them as i see my AFR gauge get out of range..

My AFR table is currently set to 13.5 everywhere so I can know right away when my Ve is off. anything not 13.5 needs to be adjusted. I figure once I've dialed in the Ve table, all I need is a drive on a dyno to figure out the best AFR and the best timing map..

So. any mode where the period and coma change the box where the car is currently RPM/MAP-ing at?

thanks!

s

PS: obviously, to be able to do that, I'd need to keep the rpm and map pretty stable for a few seconds, which is not that difficult. wouldn't want to smash buttons as the blue dot is moving all around.. I'm already doing that for my logs, but it's all guess work, after the fact. on the spot would be so much easier..
1983 Datsun 280zx, inline 6 2.8l, T03/04 turbo, Megasquirt II.
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: tunnning while driving

Post by Six_Shooter »

Autotune will do that for you...
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

true enough. :-)

but I just had that conversation with james (Jsmcortina) yesterday, and MsExtra does not do autotune, and my wallet does not do full price tunerstudio (well any price really) ..

also, i like to know what's going on. it's childish and a little stupid, but if i've changed all the boxes myself, I know what's going on, why, and I also know that is was done as well as i can manage, which is somewhat mediocre, with peaks of panache!
1983 Datsun 280zx, inline 6 2.8l, T03/04 turbo, Megasquirt II.
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I was the guy that talked Eric Falgrin to do the original AutoTune several years before Mega Log Viewer was even launched. I often use VEAL. I also use VEA in MegaLogViewer when the vehicle does not lend itself to taking my computer for a ride..

This autotune stuff works great.....

Regarding doing tuning by hand, I normally have a friend that can do what I ask to drive the car as I do the tuning. It takes about 30 min to get a motor really close. I typically use VEAL when tuning from the passenger seat.

Occasionally, I run into a situation where the motor is beat is so hard that the only option is tuning totally by and based on scatter plots in MLV HD. That is when tuning really gets fun. In that situation, we normally start on a dyno and then move on to the track to do the serious tuning.

Have fun learning tuning.

Andy
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You seem like someone who enjoys their car and takes pride in it. Don't write it off in a moment of distraction.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke