AFR displaying a huge negative number

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

AFR displaying a huge negative number

Post by msnessenger »

afr problem.png
I can't figure this out for the life of me. egoVgauge matches the voltage a multimeter shows on the leads of the AEM UEGO wideband, but the AFR gauge in tunerstudio displays bad data. It's always a negative number, but it does move around consistently as the AFR is changing with throttle blips. I unlocked the calibrations and set the wideband to a linear 1V = 12.0, 4V = 18.0 setting just like I did before updating tunerstudio/MS2v3.0 firmware (now running Tunerstudio 3.0.14 and MS2/Extra 3.4.1 release 20151223, as displayed in the screenshot).

I'm really hoping this is something simple that I'm overlooking, but in searching I couldn't find anyone having a similar issue. Just folks who had no signal coming in at all or wanted to tweak the calibration table to get Tunerstudio to match their physical AFR gauge. MSQ and datalog are attached. Thank you to all in advance!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AFR displaying a huge negative number

Post by turbo conversion »

You have EGO sensor type set to disable in this msq.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

In the EGO Control settings? Yes, I am not using EGO control yet as I have only a rough VE table. Trying to get AFR to display/log properly so I can tune.

I tried enabling EGO Control by setting Sensor Type to "Single Wide Band" and Controller Auth to 0%, restarting the MS2, then unlocking and writing the AFR calibration numbers to the controller again, and restarting once more to be sure, but after then starting up the engine, the AFR is still around -1500 at idle while showing 1.89 volts from the wideband.
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

Any other ideas, friendly internet denizens? I'm truly stumped.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Can you vary the O2 reading with a Stim?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

Ah, I see now that the log doesn't contain egoVoltage, bah. The voltage in tunerstudio matches what the multimeter shows, which matches up with the gauge according to AEM's calibration table.

The voltage moves as normal when driving/revving in neutral and matches the gauge's AFR, but Tunerstudio is displaying the wrong AFR number due to a bad calculation or... not sure why. The negative numbers will consistently match with an AFR, though. For instance, at idle it will be around -1500 or -1600 to match up with 12.5 on the physical gauge. -750 is around 18-20 AFR, and numbers going more negative are richer. So there's consistency to it, but the calculation of turning voltage coming from the wideband into an AFR number is way off.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Give turboConversion's suggestion a shot..

Set your EGO Sensor type to Wideband.

If you don't want EGO Control to do anything, set Controller Authority to 0
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

you have to tell TS what WB are you using, then it can convert EGO voltage to AFR..
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I unlocked the calibrations and set the wideband to a linear 1V = 12.0, 4V = 18.0 setting just like I did before updating tunerstudio/MS2v3.0 firmware
The tune you posted doesn't show this.

Tools > Un/Lock Calibrations

Unlock

Tools > Calibrate AFR Table

Set the EGO sensor type
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

msnessenger wrote:In the EGO Control settings? Yes, I am not using EGO control yet as I have only a rough VE table. Trying to get AFR to display/log properly so I can tune.

I tried enabling EGO Control by setting Sensor Type to "Single Wide Band" and Controller Auth to 0%, restarting the MS2, then unlocking and writing the AFR calibration numbers to the controller again, and restarting once more to be sure, but after then starting up the engine, the AFR is still around -1500 at idle while showing 1.89 volts from the wideband.
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

I have also tried uninstalling Tunerstudio and reinstalling it, then connecting to the MS2 as a brand new project.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Your MSQ contains some garbage "random" numbers in hidden fields. That's what's breaking the AFR reading. Baro is broken too.

Try the attached.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
msnessenger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msnessenger »

That did the trick, thanks a million James! How would that have even happened?