Rasberry PI vs Andriod tablet - most robust?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

turbogrill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Rasberry PI vs Andriod tablet - most robust?

Post by turbogrill »

Hi,

I am adding a digital dash to my race car. Probably going to be 7" or 10".

I can't figure out if I should do a Rasberry PI based system or a Android Tab?

It seems like Andriod is the cheapest solution, I can get a used Galaxy Tab for $50 or so. However a Rasberry PI might be a more robust solution?

I need the dash to always start and always go to my default view, if power dies the tab should just come back on. I don't want to mess with dropped connections and stuff in the middle of a race, it has to always work.

Thanks
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Rasberry PI vs Andriod tablet - most robust?

Post by benckj »

I don't want to mess with dropped connections and stuff in the middle of a race, it has to always work.
Probably neither would work then. CAN bus display would be the most reliable but then much more expensive than other options.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Hang on a little longer as there is stuff in the works
turbogrill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by turbogrill »

Hi,

So I guess these are my options:

1. Android/Windows tab with Shadow Dash/MSDroid/Tunerstudio

PROS:
- Cheapest
- Easiest
- Probably coolest graphics

CONS:
- Least robust (my phone freaks out all the time)
- Long boot times (>30s)
- No tuning

2. Rasberry PI3

PROS:
- Extra IO for other functions
- Cool color grahics
- RS232 adds a little robustness
- Can connect a keyboard and do tuning

CONS:
- Requires a few days to create
- Can still have issues (Corrupt writes to SDCard)
- Long boot times (fastest I have seen is 8seconds, so maybe 20-30s before gauges)
- Expensive

3. Arduino / Teensy + 6" LCD monocrhome display

PROS:
- Most robust, only a nuclear bomb should kill it
- Fast boot (0 seconds)

CONS:
- Ugly graphics (monochrome, ugly version of DASH2)
- Takes a lot of time to fix.

The coolest would be to do option 3 and have an additional cheap windows tablet for Tunerstudio
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

maybe you could consider this: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 6&start=40

Regarding PI vs tablet:

Tablet is easy to use, easy to install MsDroid or shadow dash tuner or real dash on google play store. Perfect for datalogging but you cannot really tune with it (you can in msdroid but its easier with tunerstudio).

PI: harder to install, you can install tuner studio but you will have a lot of thing to figure out.

Regarding robustness, if you use a cheap LCD on the pi, it's quite the same at the end...

I would go with a tablet if the only thing you want is to display data without having to work too much. Also, go with a bluetooth adapter so it's easy to setup and it works very well (I have in stock if you need one http://perfecttuning.net/en/accessories ... &results=4)

Sam
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
nyborggarage
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by nyborggarage »

A proper race dash connected via CAN is the best option, but much more expensive.
A cheaper option is the 60mm round "pod" instrument thingy with a small square display that someone on here is selling. Also connects via CAN and has some extra inputs. But alone it does not function as a race dash.

Small computers like Pi and lattepanda are very interesting, but personally i wil go for a tablet in my racecar.

You can tune with a tablet (android or Windows), for quick changes you can use the thouch, or you can connect a usb or wireless keyboard to it (tons of options).
One of the main advantages i see is the battery. I probably won't bother with connecting it so that it turns on/off automatically, I'll just turn it on/off manually when needed. A good android tablet will run many many hours with this type of use.
And for reliability i find them very good. Especially when running only one app and not connected to internett.

Sent fra min E5603 via Tapatalk
Nyborg Garage, Norway, Honda Tuning.
www.facebook.com/nybga
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I just use it for gauges I don't have on the dash like Duty Cycle or AE percentage. I just picked up a Samsung 8" Tab4 for $70 at the local pawn shop. I wound up adding a sim card and now I have internet access at the track or at the hotel. A little industrial velcro on the back and done.

Andy
turbogrill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by turbogrill »

nyborggarage wrote:A proper race dash connected via CAN is the best option, but much more expensive.
And for reliability i find them very good. Especially when running only one app and not connected to internett.
This has been my concern. I don't want to all of a sudden have to click stupid button and crap.
I don't race professionally (far from it) so it's not a disaster If i can't see oil temp for a 2h stint (I will just have to use my nose :) ).

But you haven't had any issues with it? I would root it and have a very clean install.

It's very appealing considering the cost and how easy it is.
whittlebeast wrote:Image

I just use it for gauges I don't have on the dash like Duty Cycle or AE percentage. I just picked up a Samsung 8" Tab4 for $70 at the local pawn shop. I wound up adding a sim card and now I have internet access at the track or at the hotel. A little industrial velcro on the back and done.

Andy
I have the same tachometer :) I thought once about building a CRX race car. Seems like a blast.
Have you had any issues with it during a race?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I have only used it in the trailer. We will test soon in real world conditions. Battery life concerns me in a road race car.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

turbogrill wrote:Hi,
- Can still have issues (Corrupt writes to SDCard)
I've been contemplating a few ways to get around the boot time and corruption issues, but my python programming skills suck too much. But the basics of it is:

With a few relays, have one latch on when the car door is opened to start the boot process, then once running it starts a python script that senses the continuity through another relay that is triggered on by the ignition key power, and if the continuity breaks (relay opens) it starts a count down timer of your specifications (15 minutes?) and if the key doesn't get turned back on in that time it executes a halt command in the Pi to stop all writing to the SD card, essentially parks it, then executes a command to a third relay that basically breaks the ground on the latched relay effectively killing power to the Pi until the door is opened again and latches the power relay back on. Semi-mechanically complicated but it'd get the booting going before you sit down and in theory minimize the chance of corrupting the SD card. I've also looked at external automotive power supplies that can send shut down commands, but I'm not sure how to program the pi to recognize it. I have a solid state carputer running Windows 7 in my Skylark that utilizes one, but it does have it's own separate issues since it's Windows, and it doesn't always kick on with the key because the voltage drop during cranking a moderate compression big block V8.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!