SD Card Block Size Change Needs Warning Dialog

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

SD Card Block Size Change Needs Warning Dialog

Post by VcrMiata »

Using MS3 Basic firmware 1.5.0 and TS 3.0.18.08, I just changed my Log Data Block Size from 64 byte to 128 byte and (surprisingly) discovered that this re-initializes the SD card.

My logs reset from LOG2598 to LOG0000 and all of my previous logs were gone (2 years of logs).

Not a huge deal as I have most of my important logs backed up but may I suggest that on change of the block size, a warning dialog with an option to cancel, is raised to inform the user that data will lost if the request is continued. This will give the user an opportunity to backup the data.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: SD Card Block Size Change Needs Warning Dialog

Post by LT401Vette »

Change of block size will not effect what is on the SD card.
The only things that should remove old files is using "Format SD Card" or Delete.

Any chance there was some sort of SD corruption?
Do you remove the SD to unload or is this an only through TS setup?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

Hi Phil,

I only changed the block size. Didn't remove card - it's been in the card slot for a year or more with no problems or errors. I only copy the data using TS.

I have had no issues with reading from the card. I downloaded a 64 byte log from Sunday afternoon, when all my logs showed at that time; changed the block size Sunday night to 128 byte and accessed the card today, Monday, after work. Only 2 logs showed: LOG0000 and LOG0001. I removed the card and checked the contents on my laptop and verified only 2 files remained on the card - at no time was an error reported.

Only strange thing is this morning's log, driving to work, wasn't on the card but the drive home log and the log generated while turning on the ignition to download the logs was there.

The card logging has been solid for over 2 years so it seems coincidental that it would suddenly initialize itself the day after I changed the block size.

I'll go through the motions tomorrow to reset back to 64 byte, create a few logs and then move forward again to 128 byte again to see what happens.
VcrMiata
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by VcrMiata »

I have not been able to reproduce the problem so I can only assume the problem was somewhere between keyboard and chair. :oops:

Tony