GPS and Instant/Average MPG

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

rincewind23
Helpful MS/Extra'er

GPS and Instant/Average MPG

Post by rincewind23 »

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new Q818XT, and took it out for a spin after hooking it up to TunerStudio and adding speedo/instant mpg/average mpg dials to my dashboard. When I went out for a drive, The instant MPG was saying 99 and the average saying 0 for the whole 2.5 mile run. I'm not sure how accurate the speedo was, it seemed that sometimes it would be tracking the physical speedo, sometimes it would be displaying arbitrary fixed speeds - I couldn't look at it all the time since it was on the passenger seat next to me

Other than hooking the GPS up via bluetooth and configuring it in TS (v3.0.21) is there anything else I need to do? All the pages I've found say that's all I need to do.

Attached MSQ and log.
kevsDefender28April.msq
2017-04-28_16.35.49.msl
I've removed the first quarter of a mile or so of the log; that's just me getting out onto the main road from my house. (plus I had to bring it under the 1Mb limit!)

Cheers,
KEv.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: GPS and Instant/Average MPG

Post by grom_e30 »

Did you input all the data in the 'performance and economy' section in the data logging menu on tuner studio.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

How accurate the speedo is and which input you are using for the speedo is everything...

On the main menu go to:
Data Logging --> Performance and Economy Fields

Make sure it is set up in there.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
rincewind23
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rincewind23 »

Thanks guys

I went and checked there - the primary injector size was set to 0. I guess that's why the mpg values were out!
I assumed that the fuel usage would be calculated from the injector size under Basic/Load Settings->Engine and Sequential Settings.

I'm busy this weekend but I'll try that when I get a chance and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,
Kev.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Assuming you have a good VSS and are using just one set of injectors (no staged injection) Note that the GPS stuff has about a 1 sec delay and messes with the calc on hard accel.

Instantaneous MPG is real close to

c * VSS / Duty Cycle

Where c is a constant to get the units to work out to the units you want. I use the average function in MLV to figure out the constant. I found this when I was trying to figure out how Harley was doing this to the dash of the newer bikes. It was almost spot on to what they were reporting in the data logs and displaying on the dash.

Andy
rincewind23
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rincewind23 »

It's working now - just had to set the injector size. I'm getting about 16mpg on average! Not bad for a Defender..