Test setting.

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Test setting.

Post by 107merc »

Not sure if I should post this here or at JB Perf. Have wired and programmed JS11 to IAC2B for fan control. Settings are "coolant" with threshold set at 170
and hysterisis at 160. no additional conditions. Enable is set and JS11 is green. Can I
adjust the CLT pot. on the JimStim above and below the set values and see ground appear on and off
on pin 31, IAC2B, or am I asking something it can't do.
Thanks, any info appreciated.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Test setting.

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can adjust the CLT pot on the JimStim and that will change the temperature that the ECU "sees" and you can see it in TunerStudio. The ECU doesn't "know" it's connected to a JimStim so if you have conditions for programmable outputs that rely on CLT then they will work the same as they would with the actual sensor. This has nothing to do with the JimStim capabilities other than being able to vary a resistance (coolant pot) which the ECU interprets as a temperature.

I should add that this is exactly the type of thing a JimStim is designed to help you with.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

"hysteresis at 160" you might want to change that to something sensible like 10.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

Thanks for responding. Totally misunderstood the meaning of Hysteresis, now set at 10,
so on at 170 and off at 150. wish there was a definition in the MS Glossary.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

107merc wrote:Thanks for responding. Totally misunderstood the meaning of Hysteresis, now set at 10,
so on at 170 and off at 150. wish there was a definition in the MS Glossary.
Interesting...... You say you have hysteresis set to 10 to and you are seeing on/off at 170 t0 150? That's a hysteresis of 20 my friend!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

So using Wikipedia's example: control systems, hysteresis can be used to filter signals so that the output reacts less rapidly than it otherwise would, by taking recent history into account. For example, a thermostat controlling a heater may switch the heater on when the temperature drops below A, but not turn it off until the temperature rises above B. (For instance, if one wishes to maintain a temperature of 20 °C then one might set the thermostat to turn the heater on when the temperature drops to below 18 °C and off when the temperature exceeds 22 °C.) That would be a hysteresis of 4 and not + or - 2?? Thanks for your help.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You always have a trigger set point. To this you then have hysteresis which can be set positive or negative. But not both. This positive and negative is with reference to the logic operators used and the initial (power on) and active switch conditions. Standard positive numbered hysteresis is what it has to drop below the set point. If you have a trigger of > 170f and 10 hysteresis, set to off initially and active on, it will turn on fans at 170 but will not turn off fans till temp comes down to 160F. This ensures the fans do not oscillate on-off-on-off around the 170f set point.
Cheers Luke
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:You always have a trigger set point. To this you then have hysteresis which can be set positive or negative. But not both. This positive and negative is with reference to the logic operators used and the initial (power on) and active switch conditions. Standard positive numbered hysteresis is what it has to drop below the set point. If you have a trigger of > 170f and 10 hysteresis, set to off initially and active on, it will turn on fans at 170 but will not turn off fans till temp comes down to 160F. This ensures the fans do not oscillate on-off-on-off around the 170f set point.
Darn, Luke! I thought you guys did centigrade down under! :lol:

Your explanation, as always, is right on target. You explained it much better than I might have.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I am among the last generation that use both imperial and metric. Metrication started in 1966 with the money. Air temperature was late 1972 and our country was not completely metric until 1988, with local automotive fasteners and real estate measurements to be among the last changes.
Cheers Luke
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

Thanks everyone.