Protocol Error reported

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

christiansend83
MS/Extra Newbie

Protocol Error reported

Post by christiansend83 »

Hello all. I am working on a project, trying to get everything set up here. I've got an MS3pro EVO, got everything wired up good for the most part. (Engine was running, fan, fuel pump, and mostly everything worked I also purchased a Racepak iq3s dash and was fiddling around with it a little this evening. Went to the CAN section of Tuner studios and then before I knew it, TunerStudio's is forcing me to work offline, and I am unable to change it to work online. When ever I try to load up my project it displays this Protocol Error "The following error was reported during communication attempts: A controller is responding, but not at the project assigned CAN ID."
Check:
- The target device is powered on.
- The CAN ID assigned in project settings matches that of your target controller.

I've checked in the CAN area and can ID is set to 0. master enable is off, as well as the 29bit megasquirt CAN enable.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try to get it back online? I'm not the most computer literate so you may have to bare with me. Thanks in Advance.

~Dave
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Protocol Error reported

Post by LT401Vette »

Which CAN section did you go to?

There are 2. 1 to change the settings / CAN ID set in the MS3 and one to set the CAN ID TS will try to talk on. They must match or you will get a message as you are.

Under "CAN-bus/Testmodes" --> "CAN Parameters"
You can set the CAN ID the MS3 is on. This can only be set or changed while you are connected to the MS3. If you are connected and change it, you will not be able to talk to the MS3 again until you change the CAN ID set in TS to match that in the MS3.

To change the CAN ID that TS will use for that project, you need to go into Project Properties.
While your project is open, either:
use the menu: File --> Vehicle Projects --> Project Properties
or
Press CTRL+P

In the Project Properties dialog, click on the "CAN Devices" tab
At the top, there is a setting "Main Controller CAN ID".

By default it is 0 for both, but if one is changed, you must change the other, even if just to change it back.

I would start with making sure the CAN ID in Project properties is set to 0, if so then you can get the CAN ID the controller is now set to by:

Open Mini-Term under the menu Communications --> Mini-Term

- Set the Com Port to the one you use to connect to the MS3-Pro
- Set the baud rate to 115200.
- Click Open Port

If all is good, in the top box type an upper case I.

The CAN ID of the controller will then be displayed in the lower box.

Set the CAN ID in Project Properties to the number returned by the I command.
Now you should be able to talk to it again.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
christiansend83
MS/Extra Newbie

Phil, thank you for the response! I'll go through your list of suggestions and see what I can find. I will keep you posted.
christiansend83
MS/Extra Newbie

Phil, You're the man!!! both numbers in the parameters, and in the project properties had to be set to 2. Now the error has been lifted. If both are defaulted to a 0, why would I all of a sudden need to have both set to a 2 ?
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

If both are defaulted to a 0, why would I all of a sudden need to have both set to a 2 ?
My best guess is that you inadvertently changed the one in the "CAN Parameter" dialog, so once the box got powercycled it came up on 2 and TS was still trying on 0, so no more talking.

It may be best to put them back to 0.
Always change the ECU's 1st in the CAN Parameters dialog.
Steps:
- Open the "CAN Parameters" dialog
- Set CAN ID to 0
- Close the dialog
- Powercycle the MS
- Open Project Properties
- Set main Controller CAN ID to 0 on the CAN Devices tab
- Click OK

Then it should all be talking on CAN ID 0

Also, it seems it would make sense for TS to have an automatic option for main controller CAN ID. When in Auto, TS can use the I command to determine the CAN ID of the locally attached device and always assume it is the local device that is the primary controller.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

LT401Vette wrote:Also, it seems it would make sense for TS to have an automatic option for main controller CAN ID. When in Auto, TS can use the I command to determine the CAN ID of the locally attached device and always assume it is the local device that is the primary controller.
That's probably a good idea but it also depends on what actions TS takes with this assumption. There are CAN devices that can be used as the main passthrough device in which case this would not work and you wouldn't want any hidden action taken because of this. This is even more important if this automatic option is the default one (which would be good for the vast majority of setups).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum