Is Tuner Studio right for me?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

fl_buggy
MS/Extra Newbie

Is Tuner Studio right for me?

Post by fl_buggy »

This may seem odd, but I have a somewhat unique situation.

I'm doing a mechanical cummins diesel swap into my ford truck. Obviously there is no need for a megasquirt for this, BUT, I want to be able to monitor engine vitals on an Android tablet rather than run a bevy of gauges. So here's my thinking. I'm thinking of running a MS to really just monitor parameters, and then communicate those parameters to Tuner Studio to display them on a tablet.

This may seem like a round-about way of doing things, but I can't think of any other way to display the engine's vitals on a screen that I can also use for navigation, music, etc.

The parameters I'd like to monitor are as follows:

Coolant temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel pressure (20psi max)
Turbo boost
Turbine drive pressure
EGT
Transmission temp

Would MS be able to monitor all of these? Would Tuner Studio be able to display them?

Thanks so much for your time.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Is Tuner Studio right for me?

Post by benckj »

MS is probably the best EMS to use for an Android display using a program called Shadow Dash. I know standard parameters like coolant, IAT , MAP and fuel pressure are no problem but unsure which version you would require for additional temps and pressures. I'm sure it's possible and somewhat easy to configure.

One comment I will make on tablet display is the hassle to boot up tablet every time vechile is running and using a power cord to charge. Bluetooth can work for serial data connection but hard to get around the other limitations. I use a car head unit which is more robust and provides multiple functions. Bought a high resolution model from AliExpress for around $100 and it works great.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
fl_buggy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fl_buggy »

Thanks for the input Jim! I've heard some issues with the chinese android head units, but that's been a little while back, so hopefully they've improved.

I'm quite frankly shocked the car audio companies haven't made better head units that run Android, there must not be enough money in it for them.
fastbarry
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fastbarry »

This is funny. I am litterally doing the very same thing with a diesel engine my self right now.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

fl_buggy wrote:Thanks for the input Jim! I've heard some issues with the chinese android head units, but that's been a little while back, so hopefully they've improved.

I'm quite frankly shocked the car audio companies haven't made better head units that run Android, there must not be enough money in it for them.
This is the HU I bought after doing some research. Wanted to have multiple USB ports and be able to load everything onto the one device including, MS gauges, tyre pressure monitoring system and DVR recording. What ever you look at make sure the resolution is at least 1040x 600. I paid $104usd delivered as they come on sale quite frequently.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Inch- ... 20207.html

Pic is just 2 default SD screens but you can edit to whatever you like plus there are 2 other screen displays by simply swiping over.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
rukavina
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rukavina »

I just looked at that and noticed it has can bus. Will it go on the Ms can bus? Would be awesome to stick that between Ms and gpio
4wheel drive 454 vortec on ms2 w/gpio for 4l80e Trans control
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Not sure on that one as I have not run anything on CAN Bus.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

fl_buggy wrote:This may seem odd, but I have a somewhat unique situation.

I'm doing a mechanical cummins diesel swap into my ford truck. Obviously there is no need for a megasquirt for this, BUT, I want to be able to monitor engine vitals on an Android tablet rather than run a bevy of gauges. So here's my thinking. I'm thinking of running a MS to really just monitor parameters, and then communicate those parameters to Tuner Studio to display them on a tablet.

This may seem like a round-about way of doing things, but I can't think of any other way to display the engine's vitals on a screen that I can also use for navigation, music, etc.

The parameters I'd like to monitor are as follows:

Coolant temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel pressure (20psi max)
Turbo boost
Turbine drive pressure
EGT
Transmission temp

Would MS be able to monitor all of these? Would Tuner Studio be able to display them?

Thanks so much for your time.
If you know your way in electronics this may be usefull:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/mic ... dule-v2-2/
Mind you this is not plug and play !!
EGT needs a converter to get a useful signal.