MS detected but comms failed.

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Martinyoung
MS/Extra Newbie

MS detected but comms failed.

Post by Martinyoung »

Morning guys

I'm sure this is a regular problem but I can't find a answer that tells me how to fix it.

So I have a new microsquirt V3 and be just wired it in to a Subaru, I'm using a serial to db9 adapter that I have used before for megajolt,
When I power up and open tuner studio I click detect and I can find the microsquirt firmware, I continue to the confrirmation where I hit test and I get a failed and can't communicate,

She doing the initial test I find two devices which I understand may be the problem, but how do I get rid of 1?

I'm not new to megasquirt and its derivatives but I am not a fan of computers so be gentle and use simple terms please :lol:

Thanks Martin.
Martinyoung
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS detected but comms failed.

Post by Martinyoung »

So just to update, it's still not working but here's the message I get when I first hit detect,

USB D2XX, serial#FTCDGGYH@115200 Baud, Found: MS2/Extra3.4.2 release 20160421 11:50BST(c)KC/JSM/JB
RS232: Port:COM3, Baud:115200 Baud, Found: MS2/Extra3.4.2 release 20160421 11:50BST(c)KC/JSM/JB

And at the bottom it states "device search complete! Controllers found:2

I've gone into the device manager and disabled the device on port 3 which had no effect,
I then went in and disabled the serial adapter under the heading serial adapters, and heard the disconnect sound, but still no change, tried each seperatly and now both turned on, still the same message and no connection,

Diving me mad,
Martinyoung
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Martinyoung »

fixed it, re loaded the firmware and configuration to MS and TS, i guess they weren't matching,
next problem, no crank signal from my subaru 6/7
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Finding 2 is common. It is finding the same 1 but with 2 different drivers.

In your case it is finding it using standard RS232 driver and because your cable is based on the the FTDI chip it finds it using direct D2XX.

D2XX is generally the better choice when available.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Martinyoung
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Martinyoung »

Thank LT

That all makes sense,

Martin,