Cheap Windows Tablet

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Cheap Windows Tablet

Postby vw_chuck » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 am

What are some of you guys using for a windows tablet on your setups?
Brand, size and cost would be useful. Also how it works for you.
vw_chuck
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Cheap Windows Tablet

Postby BigBlockMopar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 pm

I've bought this used/fairly new tablet below.
It's silly brand name is "itWorks".

The problem with cheap stuff is that it's only a matter of time when things start to fail and frustration kicks in.
I had an old laptop before. Battery started failing, needed to be charged all the time. Then the memory-strips got loose every so often. Then the charger couldn't keep up anymore with it and it would just turn off in the middle of a tune.

Similar battery issues are now also starting to pop up and it craps out when still showing halfway full.
As a bigtime Apple user, this is exactly what I now 'hate' about all this crappy "Windows" hardware, everything feels cheap, including the always buggy Windows environment.

I'm currently looking into putting a permanent mini-computer (ODROID XU4) into the car to function as tuning device and/or media player at the same time.

But to be fair, the tablet seems the most useful upto now. Especially with the keyboard/cover which simply clicks onto the tablet so it can be used either as a tablet or as a PC.

Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 318ci engine / MS3x - ignition only. A518-OD transmission / 3.55 gears
-+-+-+-+-
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Postby vw_chuck » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

My thinking is cheap stuff is easily replaced when it gets beat up in the car or at the track.
I see a lot of 8 inch windows 10 tablets on Amazon and wondered if they are any good.
This can double as my tuner studio tablet as well as my dash in my car.
vw_chuck
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Postby lotus23C » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

I have an 8" Toshiba win 8.1 tablet, been trouble free for 3-4 years and I enjoy the fact it isn't the size of a laptop. However, win 8.1 on such a small screen is frustrating. I haven't got a separate keyboard but recommend you do. GPS on these is a pain as when in windows mode, the GPS isn't accessible without a micky-mouse software add on - which I still haven't figured out yet.
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Postby Blown88GT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Asus Transformer T100
Attachments
Tablet Mount.jpg
Tablet Mount.jpg (214.96 KiB) Viewed 137 times
1988 Mustang GT, 57k miles, Orig. Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRPP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprng, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-way, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 225/50R16, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, LC2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 30lb FRPP
Blown88GT
Master MS/Extra'er

Postby skikir » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am

Frankly, I wouldn't use a tablet. I prefer a real keyboard. I've been using old Acer netbooks for years and they work great. small 10" screen and keyboard. I couldn't imagine hitting CNTRL-L to start logging quickly or space bar to mark an event with popup keyboard while driving (which we never do of course!) I have a 11" Dell Venue tablet I wouldn't try unless as an emergency.
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Postby BigBlockMopar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Don't ever need to hit CTRL-L as I've setup logging in TunerStudio to start as soon as RPM > 0.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 318ci engine / MS3x - ignition only. A518-OD transmission / 3.55 gears
-+-+-+-+-
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Return to Tuner Studio