fuel/afr load varies with engine off with throttle change

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

fuel/afr load varies with engine off with throttle change

Post by skikir »

I was looking at the AFR or VE table (I forget which but probably both) with ECU connected and engine off. The load was about 85 with throttle closed which I thought was low but when I opened the throttle the reading went to almost 100. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, if the Load is an indicator of manifold pressure and with the engine off and no flow past the throttle I would imagine the MAP would be indicating ambient air pressure and changing the throttle position should not change the reading. I've always suspected something was not right and not getting an accurate reading at different throttle settings would seem to answer some nagging feelings I've had. Why would MAP change with Throttle position. Is there a Calibration setting I'm missing?
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: fuel/afr load varies with engine off with throttle chang

Post by 2swe »

depends on algorithm you use for tuning, I bet it's ITB mode..
Last edited by 2swe on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by skikir »

yes it is. Please expound on that observation!
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Itb uses a blend of tps and map for load.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by skikir »

Well that adds multi-dimensional considerations but then again a hundred percent load at zero RPMs is hard to understand in my mind in the first place.
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

can you uploadan MSQ?

ITB mode uses bottom part of your VE table for Speed-density, and top part of VE table for Alpha-N.
to switch from SD to AN, two conditions must be met - MAP must be 90% (and more) of initial MAP reading during power up, and second condition - TPS treshold (set in "ITB mode TPS switchpoints" curve) must be met.

In your case, with engine not running, the first condition is already met, because your MAP is actually 100% of initial MAP reading.
when you open your throttles past treshold, load starts to grow, with WOT load is 100%.
this is how ITB mode works...
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2