My App for nokia 770 that displays ecu data.

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

SordFish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

My App for nokia 770 that displays ecu data.

Post by SordFish »

Thought a few maybe interested in what I've been up too the last few weeks..

I didn't always want to have get my laptop out to quickly check my ect or something so looked in to a smaller screen that i could just plug in and check stuff real quick. LCDash and Megaview came up but they seem'd a little delicate or wouldn't work with MS2extra.

As I'm not a programmer in the slightest, but fancied the challenge. Armed with an Arduino and LCD i set off to build something similar but it ended up still getto and not what I wanted.

I looked around for a device that fit the requirements and was simple enough to code on, and found the Nokia 770.
At first I though Tuner studio or Megatunix would port over to it as it runs linux but that seemed impossible or way over my head.

so I decided to try build a basic app in python that would connect to Megasquirt via bluetooth and pull the data from the it.
and here it is..

here's a badly filmed video of it in action :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUmZYu9f5II

Now its still pre alpha and only works with the latest MSextra alpha serial stream and the update rate inst as smooth as I'd like.
and once I brush up on my python I've got a tonne of ideas for it like histograms and setting editing.

I'll upload the code if its ok with mods etc as I would love some tips from a python / gtk guru.
MY BLOG
NOT WORKING ON ANY MEGASQUIRT PROJECTS CURRENTLY
rxheaven13b
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: My App for nokia 770 that displays ecu data.

Post by rxheaven13b »

Congrats! It looks awesome and a good idea, but is this something that could be used with a ipod/iphone or droid? I have no idea how the whole app thing works other than i download it from a list... I love to keep an eye on my real coolant temp!
rxheaven13b
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rxheaven13b »

I just realized i have been a member for over 3 years and never asked a single question. I like the search button!
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

rxheaven13b wrote:Congrats! It looks awesome and a good idea, but is this something that could be used with a ipod/iphone or droid? I have no idea how the whole app thing works other than i download it from a list... I love to keep an eye on my real coolant temp!
if you have an iphone or itouch your already a happy man
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... manual.pdf
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... 274&page=1
www.ot-2.com
rxheaven13b
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rxheaven13b »

That thing is cool and all but it looks more like a obd2 scanner. I'd rather have something MS specific like what you are doing. It would be super cool if you could tune with your phone app. Either way i guess the wireless link is inevitable.
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

would it be a better idea to just build a pc in a casing
don,t know about the connections and how stable the 12 volt should be
but with those new Uatx boards
http://www.mycom.nl/Products/View/266790.aspx
SSD hard drive, standard memory, standard proccesor, 12 volt monitor , small usb keyboard
you could bypass a lot of problems
it would basicly be as big as the old car radio ext CD drives
SordFish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SordFish »

Hey only just noticed the replys

@ rxheaven13b
thanks! its only a proof of concept. I'm a coding noob so only tried the basics.
tuning could be possible but the small resolution would make it awkward.

I've not picked my n770 up since I filmed the video as I've been working on my arduino based megaview. with 20x4 lcd.

I've have noticed the new wifi based products that can let you use a iphone or android device to view data, and this got me thinking, as using bluetooth sucked for me.

I have a few Fon linux based routers doing nothing after and old project, so added an rs232 port to it and install ser2net.
This lets me connect my laptop over wifi and pair a virtual serial port to ser2net.
I fired up TunerStudio and hey presto MegaSquirt over wifi. :yeah!:

Now for getting it on an Iphone or any wifi based device I though what if there was an ajax based back end that ran on the Fon you could run it on any device that had a web browser.
I've been playing around with serproxy and had some php pulling Version and RPM from docklight pretending to be a MS2. I tried to loop it but I've never coded in php before and it seemed to give rubbish after the first loop, but its a start!
MY BLOG
NOT WORKING ON ANY MEGASQUIRT PROJECTS CURRENTLY
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

rxheaven13b wrote:That thing is cool and all but it looks more like a obd2 scanner. I'd rather have something MS specific like what you are doing. It would be super cool if you could tune with your phone app. Either way i guess the wireless link is inevitable.
I have a WLAN Elm device that uses Rev to load OBD2 data, and the Innovate OT-2 too. I just want to datalog on my motorcycle, so tuning would be done elsewhere. TunerStudio at the moment datalogs an output stream that is interpreted by MegaLogViewer and others, but if there was an option to output an OBD2 type data stream, then you'd only have to hook up an OBD2 scanner to look at this info as well, assuming you make an OBD2 connector/adapter.

This would mean you could use an iPhone, iPad, smartphone with the Innovate and create a wireless configurable dash, and remote datalogger using their LogWorks package.
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by acab »

where i can download that program?