Arduino w/ CAN bus

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Arduino w/ CAN bus

Post by xrattiracer »

Anyone done any experimenting with this? I have tried doing searches on google and here, but have come up with very little.
My ultimate goal is to use an arduino to drive stepper motors that i will retrofit into my stock gauge cluster. It is important to not tie up the megasquirt's serial port though, so this needs to interface via CAN.
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Arduino w/ CAN bus

Post by xrattiracer »

Well I have my hardware for this now, and have been trying to make sense of the various documentation. The CAN interface is a MCP2515 standalone CAN controller on an arduino shield (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10039) and I am referencing http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/can_tech.html for the MS side. This seems to be fairly specific to the MS and GPIO software though, and is a little higher level than how the MCP2515 needs to be controlled.
If anyone has any hints as to exactly how to construct the message to ask the MS unit for outpc data, I would appreciate it.
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Arduino w/ CAN bus

Post by sedd »

You are trying to do what I want to do. But maybe thru another method. Yours sounds good if you can find a CAN output to make something happen.

do you have a hall effect 3 wire sensor in the tranny feeding the MS3?

I am trying to find out how GM drives the 2005 and later stepper motors. they are small and cheap. Per response to my posts, it appears the MS3 will pass thru a signal from the hall effect sensor. That sounds like a typical rpm signal and so I wonder if a tachometer circuit might work as well. I found an circuit that will process this signal and put out a voltage signal for an analog gauge. I have not found a small gauge for this circuit.
1970 Chevelle, 540 big block, AFR heads, headers, mild cam
MS3 release 1.4.0, sequential fuel, LS2 coil per plug
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05