Using a MOSFET driver to run the BIP373

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using a MOSFET driver to run the BIP373

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That 20mA limit is often quoted on that other forum (you know which one...) but that's not applicable here. For MS3, the spark outputs are buffered so that's not an issue. For MS2, the spark outputs use different ports (M, T and AD). Also you will never have all 6 (for MS2) spark outputs on at the same time. So that's definitely not what you mention.

Moreover, that 20mA per port value is an interpretation of what the specs mention, at least for the 9S12C that the MS2 is based on. The limit is quoted per single pin in the specs.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

One more thing concerning disappearing posts. There was a forum crash at one point and there were quite a few posts lost (the equivalent of a few weeks or even months, if I recall correctly). So that could affect the post count and it will definitely mean some posts were lost. But that is not intentional.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Peter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Peter »

I really want to go after your posts, and your large, over priced dual vr sensor board. That has its through holes lined up half way inbetween standard dip spacing, but I'll just stick with "Cool Story Bro", because none of that is helpful or related.

So I was looking at some ignition IGBTs today, and I'm thinking minimum specs should probably be around 400V and 10A. My current choice is rated at 430V and 20A. The best part is that it's half the price of a BIP373 and even cheaper if you want to buy in bulk. Any thoughts on the IRGB14?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Peter wrote:I really want to go after your posts, and your large, over priced dual vr sensor board. That has its through holes lined up half way inbetween standard dip spacing, but I'll just stick with "Cool Story Bro", because none of that is helpful or related.
Why bring this up if you don't think it should be brought up here? And you are just repeating Fred's propaganda without even understanding why the board is as it is.

By the way, you never mentioned where you connected your BIP373. If you were using the JS10 output then you were using an output that already has a 1K resistor.

And why are you even posting here? You're ranting about something that has NEVER been reported as being an issue for anyone. And from your posts here, and more so on the other forum, you don't think the people, the code or the hardware are worth anything so why bother.

Anyway, I'll let you continue your monologue. Enjoy.

Jean
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The main reason we went with the BIP373 is that it has a thermal shutdown and internal current limiting. Given how many people appeared to have been killing VB921s by overdwelling them, we wanted something more mistake proof. If you have the resources to scope the dwell and set it correctly, an IGBT with no current limiting would be fine; it's just that we knew a lot of people using the BIP373s wouldn't have many tools for measuring coil current.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Peter wrote:Because it happens, and I don't like it.
It does not happen on this forum. Further unfounded accusations will not be tolerated. i.e. the thread will be locked.

This is your warning.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Peter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Peter »

Cool story bro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I have locked this topic. Any further unfounded accusations will cause your immediate and permanent banning.

As the others have said, about 4 years ago, we had a catastrophic data loss and ended up losing a very large part of the forum. James and I *never* remove threads. We do however lock pointless threads and ban troublemakers.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.